Less than one week..

mistyriver1

then I'm down 20 fish....LOL

balsam and Georgian bay ain't bad spots

Georgian Bay is more of a trophy water, isn't it? Not as many numbers (or harder to pinpoint)?

Also, how is the Bay of Quinte for musky fishing? I never hear of anyone fishing musky there which is weird considering most of the waters around here are pretty good in terms of size and numbers.

Also, how is the Bay of Quinte for musky fishing? I never hear of anyone fishing musky there which is weird considering most of the waters around here are pretty good in terms of size and numbers.

Have always been curious of Quinte musky.

Get the feeling they are usually caught accidentally while targeting other species.

Maybe some big ones since Lake O/St. Lawrence are close and connected.

Have always been curious of Quinte musky.

Get the feeling they are usually caught accidentally while targeting other species.

Maybe some big ones since Lake O/St. Lawrence are close and connected.

They are there, and prob some real big ones.... Same as Georgian bay. Very low density. You can go for days without even as much as a follow.

I'm having a tough time deciding on whether to start at midnight or first light. Will be in the kawartha's, first year fishing it out of a real boat for me. Can't wait!!!

Being out on a body of water that your not really familiar with in the middle of the night probably isn't a great idea...

I would try to launch just before sunrise... Then putter your way to your first spot and get your lines ready.... Have a coffee... Whatever...

That way your lines are in during sunrise...

My .02

UH OH... unsure.gif

i just made plans for Mercman to come up for musky opener.... unsure.gif

and hes sleeping at my house the night before.... unsure.gif

SLUMBER PARTY!!!!! devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

smores and pizza and musky hunter DVDs and sharpening hooks....oh boy clapping.gifclapping.gif

Hide the wimminsw00t.gif and lock up yer pets!!!!!!!!!!!!Mercman is in the house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I aint sleepin all week !!!!rofl2.gif

Being out on a body of water that your not really familiar with in the middle of the night probably isn't a great idea...

I would try to launch just before sunrise... Then putter your way to your first spot and get your lines ready.... Have a coffee... Whatever...

My .02

I've been fishing this lake for years.. The lunar calendar has me thinking night time will be hot this year. Probably just do first light however as it's already a long day from sunrise till sunset this time of year. Probably won't sleep anyway as I never do before openers!

I've been fishing this lake for years.. The lunar calendar has me thinking night time will be hot this year. Probably just do first light however as it's already a long day from sunrise till sunset this time of year. Probably won't sleep anyway as I never do before openers!

Well then... Have at her

It's been my experience over many years that one of the best times for a musky is in the 1st few minutes after the sun breaks over the horizon and that sudden burst of bright light hits the water.

It's just like a trigger for the fish, but obviously you have to be on a prime spot when it happens.

Same principle as when the sun dips below the horizon in the evening and those 1st few minutes with the sudden change.

It's been my experience over many years that one of the best times for a musky is in the 1st few minutes after the sun breaks over the horizon and that sudden burst of bright light hits the water.

It's just like a trigger for the fish, but obviously you have to be on a prime spot when it happens.

Same principle as when the sun dips below the horizon in the evening and those 1st few minutes with the sudden change.

Love when the sun just peaks and your confidently working your bait over your prime spot. Nothing really beats that.

So how did everybody make out? I only managed 1 pike since musky opened (caught a small one Friday) but with how tough it was even finding a musky, I'll gladly take it. Plus I beat my previous best pike by an inch (my old PB was my very first, 29.5" caught last June), caught on a bucktail. Nice to finally get a 30" pike after catching 2 that were 29.5" last year. Had another pike just miss a different bucktail on sat, had a hit and a miss on a jerkbait too (didn't see what it was) and a big blow up on a figure 8 Sat night after I pulled my lure out of the water. Stupid me, I thought there was no fish around and never kept the figure 8 going longer than a couple of turns.

This morning I caught 1 small bass who's eyes were bigger than his belly, then the aforementioned pike. Funny, the pike blew up and missed my bucktail 4-5 feet from the boat, I got a good look at him and was hoping he might try to hit again since I never got any hooks in him so I backed up and worked the area again and got him after 10-15 more casts.