It was a good opener for me

Rod Caster

I hope this is a sign of this to come this season!

Me and a couple buddies, including OFC local yokel JoeyTier, got out for our Zone11 opener at a small walleye lake. As is tradition, we went way too early and basically trolled in the canoe for miles, with nothing to show until evening set in. It's the same pattern everytime we come here; the lake is seemingly fishless ALL day and then evening drops with a BANG!

Joey striked first with a keeper-sized walleye using the sassy shad. It was caught in about 8 FOW, on rocks, near shore. About 30 minutes pass until things really turn on, Joey was quickly up to 5 fish while me and the other guys were sitting at about 2 each. this guy knows how to catch fish. White 3" grubs on 1/4oz jig heads were doing most of the damage.

As the evening progressed, we saw the water surface breaking in less than 2 FOW. Thinking this was a rare opportunity to catch top water walleye, I tied up a popper and with my first cast in the shallow...WHAM...the fight is on. Turns out to be a decent pike...still fun!

I switched back to a white grub and as darkness was really setting in, we all started hammering walleye of up to 21" in as shallow as 7" of water. I've never experience this before and it was an amazing opportunity to basically sight fish for walleye.

We finished with around 24 fish between the four of us... not the highest tally from this lake, but considering the fun we had...I'll take it thumbsup_anim.gif

Hope the skeeters weren't too bad for you at Camp last night Joey... I was more than happy to go home to sleep.

By the way, I switched my 20lbs PP for 10lbs PP. What a difference! The 20lbs was definitly a bit heavy for my setup. Once I receive my Crucial I'm gonna be taking my combo to bed with me.laugh.gif

Edited by Rod Caster

I got out twice yesterday. During the afternoon was White Bass...only got three

100_0316.jpg

In the evening we smashed walleye on Nipissing... I couldn't keep any because I already had my four from saturday night. But my friend who rarely fishes got his limitthumbsup_anim.gif

IMG-20120520-00058.jpg

this is what fishing all day will do to your hair

IMG-20120520-00059.jpg

It was a blast, of course. Between the barrage of fish, banter, and trying to keep the canoe upright, pictures were not in order. Felt great to get the stringer filled up, and tasted even better the next morning. The bugs were a non-issue...I think. I drowned the memories in rye :whistling:

Well done sir! We never got any eyes, but pulled up our fair share of lakers. Nothing on those spinners you gave us....but they look great...will defninitely pull something in on them soon!