More bears

John

Police just shot ( hour or two ago) a bear in Mountainside Park in Burlington. Unfortunate and sad, in my humble opinion.....don't beat me too bad guys I know some of you have differing thoughts.

Police just shot ( hour or two ago) a bear in Mountainside Park in Burlington. Unfortunate and sad, in my humble opinion.....don't beat me too bad guys I know some of you have differing thoughts.

Just added a link to that in another thread John, that's mere blocks from where I used to live in Burlington. Knowing the area it's hard to imagine how it made it's way into such a busy and densely populated area without being seen. dunno.gif

Young male bears go searching for territory in the spring of every year. This one has come a long way for sure. I'm not a hunter and take no pleasure from killing things but if I had kids, in Burlington, I would want all bears within the city limits shot or dealt with in an effective permanent way. I sympathize with residents in northern communities where this has become increasingly commonplace since the spring bear hunt was stopped. Hungry bears in your backyard is a bad thing and a little culling of the herd is probably a necessity..

We had a black bear down here in London a few years ago - the police shot it too. Their first priority is public safety. Generally, they are young males looking for new turf.

It also wasn't that long ago that a moose was running loose around the Sarnia area - I think the same thing goes for them; young males looking to expand their territory.

Now only if I can get the 2 young college males that inhabit my house,.....

Cops are always doing this sort of thing, last year in Ottawa they shot 2 moose in front of a bunch of kids cause they made the police nervous... once in a fenced in school yard( kinda like shooting fish in a barrel) and the second one they shot cause they calimed they called the MNR and the mnr told them to shoot it but the MNR has no record of a police call into there systems!!! We all grew up in canada to some form you must know that come spring time young animals especially bears move around in search of their own territoy all they would have to have done is shoot some bangers at him and guide him back into the forest and i'm almost positive he would not have retuned, I have dealt with bears my entire life and being from northern ontario i know how to get rid of these ghuiys without having to shoot them!

any body see the deer that was in downtown sudbury 4 years ago, they didn't kill it when it broke into chinese restaurant, i guess he was hungry for some chinese!

all they would have to have done is shoot some bangers at him and guide him back into the forest and i'm almost positive he would not have retuned,

What forest? It was in the middle of the city, right between the QEW and 407.

6 nations is taking the dead bear

here's a solution- if we exterminate everything with even the slightest potential of danger, we wouldn't have problems like this

:clapping:

it is unfortunate that things like this happen...but the truth be told...bears are eating bears through the Hudson Bay Corridor pushing the weaker ones farther south...a few years ago there was one walking down the beach in Port Elgin like it belonged there...A few more instances like these and they will have to re-instate the spring hunt...either that or we will have to learn to live with them

Edited by Twocoda

If they tranquilized the bear and relocated it would it end up finding its way back again?

that would take way too much effort,

also, the Halton Regional Tactical Team don't see much action, they want to bring the big guns out and shoot something, they look great, way to go guys!

I think the younger males can pretty well wander aimlesly, I don't think central Burlington looks like a great place to forage or find a mate so likely the bear wouldn't try to return

If they shot every bear that made it's way into Thunder Bay city limits, it would be a war zone out there. With all due respect guys, the fear that you people have that don't live amongst Bears amazes me. I personally have had probably over 100 encounters with Bears in my lifetime. Many have been with Moms and cubs while Steelheading in the spring. My closest encouter was with a big male probably 5 feet away from me. We looked at each other face to face for about 20 seconds, and then he just wandered off. Bears are to be respected, but they aren't the life threatening creatures that should strike the fear of God into you if you see one. Quite the opposite in fact. It's always a thrill when I see one.

If they shot every bear that made it's way into Thunder Bay city limits, it would be a war zone out there. With all due respect guys, the fear that you people have that don't live amongst Bears amazes me. I personally have had probably over 100 encounters with Bears in my lifetime. Many have been with Moms and cubs while Steelheading in the spring. My closest encouter was with a big male probably 5 feet away from me. We looked at each other face to face for about 20 seconds, and then he just wandered off. Bears are to be respected, but they aren't the life threatening creatures that should strike the fear of God into you if you see one. Quite the opposite in fact. It's always a thrill when I see one.

well put danc

there was a lady interviewed on the 6pm news about the Burlington bear, she seemed to think that if she was walking her dog, and had come across this bear, the bear would have for sure charged, attacked and ripped her limb from limb

We often have bears roaming around here at night and I've had them in both the front and back yards several times.

I looked out front this morning and found my bird feeder pulled down and it would appear Mr. Bruin had a small feast on the seed overnight. The green tubing is ABS but it sits overtop of a metal pole driven into the ground that is now bent about 50 degrees.

001-5.jpg

Can totally appreciate where you're coming from and I agree that it's a sad situation... but Thunder Bay is a LITTLE different than Burlington. Like stated before, it's about public safety. Good to hear that the meat isn't going to waste.

My GF works in a hospital about 80 kms north of Dryden,on her last night shift a sow & cub were reported to be hanging around the dumpster which just happens to be beside the smokeing area.

The hospital response was,if you are going out for a smoke,look out for the bears.

Just goes to show you the difference in attitudes between the north & south.

In the summer when I go to the local dump there can be several bears in the area,I have had 1 climb into the box of my pick-up,no big deal up here.