What's your favourite kind of fishing and why?

I know plenty of people who like to jig for walleye because they taste great and they can just sit back and relax for a few hours. Others like to troll because it's a nice slow cruise around the lake WHILE catching fish, bass fishing is appealing because of the almost constant action at times. What is your go to technique/species that you target, and why do you like it more than anything else?

Casting for musky is what I love most. I like moving around and throwing baits more than jigging/trolling. I guess it's a combination of the chase, the difficulty in finding the fish and the sudden strike that can come out of nowhere after hours of nothing. Plus I'm not a patient person so being able to overpower a fish with a tight drag and get it in the net as quickly as possible appeals to me.

I love all kinds of fishing. My favourite depends on who's in the boat with me.

I'm a big fan of silently trolling with my electric. Pike and Walleye are almost always the target, but the Bass like to join the fight too.

You sneak up on all sorts of things. Like loons, wildlife, and cottagers tanning topless on their docks!!

Edited by N.A.W

Structure trolling walleye...

Walleye on structure are very aggressive and hit hard... And it's a run and gun style of fishing.... Lots of small spots...as fast as you can... Till you hit a fish... Then work em...

Also this is rod in hand trolling... So you feel the hit... And whoever adds the better action to their bait WILL catch more fish...holding your rod still all day won't get you many fish... You gotta add twitches and sweeps and drop backs... Oh yeah... And drop back strikes.... Sometimes the walleye just bump a bait... But if you let out 5-10 feet right after the bump... Engage you reel...then give it a twitch... More often then not you'll get slammed!!!

Love it...

I have fished since the age of 4 and have caught almost all species of fish. I sold my boat after fishing from it at Doe Lake for over 25 years. My girls out grew going to the cottage we rented and my wife really isn't into fishing. I never used the boat for fishing near my home in London. I'm back to shore fishing now and spend most of my fishing time pursuing steelhead. I love the simplicity and the complexity of fishing for steelhead. I love walking the rivers in search of them , then trying to find the bait that they will hit. Some days it seems simple while at other times it is a complex process to find what they are interested in. Since I fish alone most of the time I can go river fishing with little preparation needed and can return when I want if nothing is happening.

Watching the float go down :thumbsup_anim: Doesn't matter if it's a nice trout or a perch or some type of panfish. That split second of anticipation while you are reacting to set the hook before you even know what is on the end of your line...that's what it's all about for me.

The scream of your baitrunner reel when I big carp takes off on it's first run...is right up there for me too.

Top surface fishing for bass when the time is right is awesome but I think my favourite will soon be replaced with fly fishing dries in a river when the trout are feeding. I just haven't experienced it yet but can imagine.

Structure trolling walleye...

Walleye on structure are very aggressive and hit hard... And it's a run and gun style of fishing.... Lots of small spots...as fast as you can... Till you hit a fish... Then work em...

Also this is rod in hand trolling... So you feel the hit... And whoever adds the better action to their bait WILL catch more fish...holding your rod still all day won't get you many fish... You gotta add twitches and sweeps and drop backs... Oh yeah... And drop back strikes.... Sometimes the walleye just bump a bait... But if you let out 5-10 feet right after the bump... Engage you reel...then give it a twitch... More often then not you'll get slammed!!!

Love it...

I never realised you trolled for walleye rod in hand. That's how I got my first lakers this year too, it's great being able to feel the hit. Did you use that same technique when you fished Quinte? I'm gonna have to pick your brain about trolling walleye before fall, what rods/lures/line to use, how fast, how far back, etc...

Watching the float go down :thumbsup_anim: Doesn't matter if it's a nice trout or a perch or some type of panfish. That split second of anticipation while you are reacting to set the hook before you even know what is on the end of your line...that's what it's all about for me.

This.

Also I'm a big fan of top water bass B)

My favorite technique is jig retrieving for walleye/bass and pike.

I just love how it allows you to cover water, alter the presentation on a whim, depth control etc.

I also like the fact that it gives me total control over how I'm presenting the package, and pick apart structure etc.

I enjoy trolling time to time, but it's always rod in hand.

Top water walleye is the most exciting thing ever IMO, too bad the window is so small though

I love it all.. From the rod in the downrigger springing up, to the float ripping down on a cool fall morning with a big steelhead underneath it to spotting that resident trout and making the perfect presentation so it sips down your dry..

I really don't care, I'll do it all.

What? lol I didn't know there was such a thing as topwater walleye. How and when can you catch them on topwaters? That would be cool to see.

Right before spawn in the evenings, when they chase shiners to the shoreline.

Again in fall when the shiner run begins again, same scenario.

This is on a river system though where the walleye/baitfish migrate into LOTW for the summer. I'm not sure if it happens on other lakes or not?

They hit top water frogs and x-rap popper style baits in 3FOW to 6" of water. It's super fun because it's not "typical" walleye behaviour, or most would say/think that.

But they would be wrong, lol

Edited by manitoubass2

I never realised you trolled for walleye rod in hand. That's how I got my first lakers this year too, it's great being able to feel the hit. Did you use that same technique when you fished Quinte? I'm gonna have to pick your brain about trolling walleye before fall, what rods/lures/line to use, how fast, how far back, etc...

yeah its a blast...

this fall in quinte i think me and my buddys are gunna take turns holding 1 of the rods and adding action to see if it helps... but it doesnt really work with planer boards... so i was thinking a flatline or a leadcore flatline...

also gunna make the effort to have one of the musky rods in hand this year also...

Definitely picking apart weed beds, lily pads, logs, structure while flippin'/ pitchin' and topwater fishing for buckets. That brings dad and me together every Saturday and Sunday. My 14yr old loves topwater fishing with me as well.

Second on my list is ice fishing for lakers and whities on Simcoe. :)

yeah its a blast...

this fall in quinte i think me and my buddys are gunna take turns holding 1 of the rods and adding action to see if it helps... but it doesnt really work with planer boards... so i was thinking a flatline or a leadcore flatline...

also gunna make the effort to have one of the musky rods in hand this year also...

I had 2 musky hit (landed 1, lost the other one from my own mistakes) while trolling with my rod in hand last year. Vicious hits!

It's hard to pick just one....

I love casting huge lures in search of muskie. The anticipation of a lure stopping hit is a huge adrenaline rush! Then there is working the structure and slop for bass...the aggressive hits that ensue...and the feisty battle. I also love shore fishing for salmon...casting spoons off a pier. The strikes are insane...and the runs those powerful fish take are heart stopping!

But if I had to choose just ONE fish to target...I think it would be float fishing for steelhead. I love standing in the water...feeling it rush around my legs...becoming part of the river. I love reading the water...finding the seams and the holes and watching that float get yanked under. The hookset and then that split second when you feel the weight of a fish...the fight...the air steelhead can take is incredible and such a rush.

Like I said...it's hard to pick just one...

But luckily, I don't have to pick just one! :thumbsup_anim:

You are a cruel man asking that question, I have no favourite but am opposed to deep water trolling, just too slow for me.

It's really quite the opposite, it's really like a chess game, moving the pieces around or figuring out a puzzle, constantly changing stuff up or down , changing speed, lures and presentations to fit what you see on the finder. When it all comes together and the rods start firing makes it all worthwhile :clapping: Then when the end of Sept comes, I pack away the high tech and go super basic a rod, float and simple float reel for steelhead until mid April again.