Boaters Exam?

beerman

ive driven a boat my whole life and i need a license...

I drove trucks with air brakes for 25 years then the government decided I needed to be tested and licensed to do it.

Alot of stuff our governments get involved in doesn't make much sense :dunno:

I was surprised to find this as well when I went to a fishing lodge last summer.

That tells you the extent to which this thing is a joke. wallbash.gif

Can you imagine not needing a drivers license to rent a car?

Ha, well what's the difference between this and a driver that can't follow simple rules like, not on the phone while driving.

Well, you're supposed to go through a checklist for a rental boat and that's the equivalent of the operators card. So, technically you do need one still. At least, that's how I understand the regs. Maybe I missed something?

Technically you are suppose to carry the rental agreement with you which is your proof of a temporary boaters license BUT even last year when the OPP stopped me they didn't ask for my license :dunno:

vance

Were you in a rental Vance ?

There are a few exemptions for persons over the age of 16 ....

# 1 using a boat while working ( technically GUIDES are exempt) is how I understand it . ( is it just me ?)

# 2 renting a boat ( checklist required)

#3 non resident under 45 days .

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

Randy

:)

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

"There are a few exemptions for persons over the age of 16 ....

# 1 using a boat while working ( technically GUIDES are exempt) is how I understand it . ( is it just me ?)"

not exempt - need a different license. A 'working boat' is no longer a pleasure craft, it's a commercial vessel which requires (at least?) a MED A3. Transport Canada web page has lots of details.

Edited by Jon Boat

Straight from the page.

Q. I operate a boat for work purposes. Do I need the Card?

A. No. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required by operators of watercraft being used for recreational purposes. It is common however for many commercial establishments (such as marinas, and fishing & hunting lodges)to ask their staff to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

Nothing mentioned about a different lisense required ? Must be on the employers side of things .... Maybe the guide himself ?

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

From TC page

Chartered Vessel

If you rent or charter a vessel, it is a commercial vessel if:

the master is the owner or someone provided by the owner; or

it is used other than for pleasure.

If you rent or charter a vessel without crew and you either hire a master or operate it yourself, it is a pleasure craft so long as it is used only for your pleasure, hunting or fishing for your own food, or for other needs of your daily living.

If you are the owner, and you rent or charter the vessel without crew to someone else who uses it for pleasure, it is a pleasure craft. If you provide the master, or operate the vessel yourself, it is a commercial vessel.(bold emphasis added by me)

where:

"Commercial vessel" – a vessel that is not a pleasure craft or used for commercial fishing. The Small Vessel Regulations do not define "commercial" but refer instead to "vessels other than a pleasure craft." Both "commercial vessel" and "non-pleasure vessel" are used in this guide to mean "vessel other than a pleasure craft." Vessels of all types, including human-powered vessels and vessels that are owned by any level of government and government entities like fire and police departments, are commercial vessels unless used only for pleasure.

There are a few exemptions for persons over the age of 16 ....

#3 non resident under 45 days .

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

Randy

:)

Also misleading.

Only applies if they are operating their own boat registered in their home country.

No good for a boat they own which is registered in Canada, or a boat owned by someone else (ie: father or other family member or friend)

Edited by Woodsman

I don't need one as I leave Canada after 44.5 days then turn around and re-enter...LOL

The 45 days doesn't apply to the operator but the boat.

Unless the boat leaves Canada for a full calender day the clock doesn't start over.

I rent boats and go through the 15 point check list with those who do not have a Boat Operator’s Card.

From my experiences, I would much rather be in a boat with someone who went through the checklist that morning than someone who got the Card 5 years ago on the Internet and has never been in a boat in their life......

Also in response to earlier postings, I don't know anyone who rents boats that "go 50mph".

Edited by Rice Laker