Tried some basa yesterday

When I got home yesterday decided to google where this fish came from as a buddy didn't know. Apparently this fish is a vietnamease catfish grown in river farms. Didn't know that at the time but was it tasty!,put in flour and run through egg bowl.Wow. Who would of thought and sold in some No frills.:good:

Edited by davey buoy

When I got home yesterday decided to google where this fish came from as a buddy didn't know. Apparently this fish is a vietnamease catfish grown in river farms. Didn't know that at the time but was it tasty!,put in flower and run through egg bowl.Wow. Who would of thought and sold in some No frills. Will look for it this weekend.:good:

I tried some last year and I found it to taste good but odd texture... I've never eaten any other catfish though, so maybe thats just how their flesh is???? Did you fry it or what was the cooking method?

Every once in awhile I'll try some fish from the supermarket for a change up. I usually end up with salmon or trout though.

That being said, I tried some tilapia the other day, two different ways, and it was pretty good. One was cooked like trout, the other just like typical walleye. Kids couldn't tell the difference.

The price had me wondering though, lol, $5.95 for 6 fillets????? I probably don't wanna see where the fish came from...

Edited by manitoubass2

I tried some last year and I found it to taste good but odd texture... I've never eaten any other catfish though, so maybe thats just how their flesh is???? Did you fry it or what was the cooking method?

Every once in awhile I'll try some fish from the supermarket for a change up. I usually end up with salmon or trout though.

That being said, I tried some tilapia the other day, two different ways, and it was pretty good. One was cooked like trout, the other just like typical walleye. Kids couldn't tell the difference.

The price had me wondering though, lol, $5.95 for 6 fillets????? I probably don't wanna see where the fish came from...

Same here,he bought 6 good fillets for about $6.50. Transportation and all?,I don't know,but when you try something and it's good,than find out the pricing it does make you wonder.

There are many many kinds of fish that taste good but we dont really know about them. My local fish&chip shop , you know the kind that serves Halibut and chips , when Halibut got very costly and the large fish were gone all he could buy were smaller ones with lots of waste to fillet ratio , has tried to sell other lessor known kinds . He has just got some fillets he calls "BLUE COD " I asked are the fillets Blue ?? lol .. Great tasteing white fleshed flakey fish ,can not really tell any difference between Halibut and this "Blue cod" , may be even better , 4 dollars cheaper and he said lots available ??? Remember when I ate my first small mouth early july water still cold we were only getting large eyes my dad would not harvest but the 1-2 pound smallies we caucht in the same area went in the box, can not tell between these"s smallies and the walleyes at lunch . Spring rock bass , crappies which is which , Perch , blue gills ???? maybe gills are more work to fillet but easier to catch and in the pan TASTY TASTY, I challenge anyone blind folded to tell me which is which >> From some one who eats fish 5 out of 7 days a week dont be afraid to try diffent kinds of fish ,you do not need to stick to the more pressured kinds , many good tasteing fish , BUT !!!! I still cant swallow any carp ,tried it many ways and AHHHH some fish are best to catch but leave them in the water and CARP are ones that I feel fall into this group, gars and bowfins allso , but i did try them , like I said cooked many ways ,but ???? Im sure my 17 year old sons nikes cut up and battered have to taste better .. Fish the smart food , leave the spawners , eat the teenagers and the les pressured kinds they dont call them PAN FISHH for nothing ..

Nope. You really do not want to see where those things live and how they are handled before you eat them. Several documentaries about that.

Google it and see how they are raised,.......don't think you will eat it again.

DON'T DO IT !!!! DON'T LOOK !!!!

Head on down to Jerry Vanbeeks, the chip wagon in the Giant Tiger parking lot.

Basa and Poutine for under 10 bucks.

That'll clean you out!!!

I've had it once, and thought it was tasty. No idea how they're raised though. I only tried it because they where out of pickerel.

I've tried it as well, it was cheap at Costco. They also have Tilapia loins for around the same price, but WHY are the fish not farmed on our continent?

It seems like so much of the store bought aquaculture originates from the far east, places like Indonesia and Vietnam...ugh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture_in_Indonesia

I have to think even large predatory fish out of the great lakes would be better (less or equally contaminated) then these fish coming from the other side of the world!

Tilapia and to an extent catfish are a great sustainable food fish as they can be fed a primarily vegetarian diet. Dorado are also a good choice for saltwater fish as they grow rapidly and reproduce in great quantities.

DAVEY,You got to go to Johnnys. :wallbash:

Brian,love fish since forever,but when someone offers me a fish I know nothing about and eats it regularilly,Plus still has all his motor skills and no added color,lol I just gotta try it .,but now finding out more about it,I'm thinking it's a one of.:unsure:

WHY would any fishermen buy fish....... :dunno:

They are free at every stream, river and lake in your area.....and much fresher then the store bought crap.... :whistling:

Hey BB,sometimes i want a trout,sometimes a pickeral,even a perch. Sometimes you want a little snapper/redfish/cod/halibut,the list goes on. You have to buy it,I'm sure I can't catch a beautiful basa here! lol.