boat trailer overhang

Jer

Once I launch my boat later today, I'd like to make some adjustments to my trailer.

I'd like to move the whole boat as far back on the trailer as possible to make for easier launching and loading. Everything will move, including the winch mast and the axle, to keep everything balanced as it is.

Right now the boat overhangs the back of the bunks by only 2". How much is a reasonable overhang at the rear? The bunks themselves can be moved back about 6", the mast and axle at least two feet.

The boat is a 16' Crestliner Angler 1600 with a 70hp 2-stroke on the back.

Here's a pic of the rig...

gallery_273_73_81575.jpg

well

if it sticks back more then 3ft pass the lights(including motor), you are breaking the law

but it is more a balance problem then anything else, if the trailer is made to carry the weight

too much weight behind the back wheels can cause a lot of swaying at hi-way speeds

plus the weight of most the boat and motor is sitting at the very back of the trailer instead of being over the whole length of the trailer

I don't want any of my boat bottom behind the bunks. Actually the bottom of my transom is about 2" forward of the bunk end. This provides maximum support for the motor weight on the transom. Besides loosing transom support getting the weight too far back can cause a lot of sway going down the road. I'm not sure of the number but I seem to remember that you should have 10% of your rigs weight on the tongue.

If the rig was sold as a boat, motor, trailer package it was probably set up as a balanced package.

Personally I wouldn't want ANY overhang, it should sit flush with the bunks(assuming its a bunk trailer)

I always worry about the road bumps might damage the seam between the hull and transom with the weight of the motor hanging on the transom, and it might leak if riveted and crack if welded. but that's just me and I have no problems launching the boat with it sitting flush with the bunks.

Now balancing your rig for trailering is a totally different story, your tongue weight should be around 10% of your Gross Trailer Weight(trailer and all its contents) but not greater then 15%. for that you have to adjust your axle, make sure it is very straight after you move it, otherwise your vehicle will be going one way and the trailer will have a mind of its own, not to mention wearing your tires very soon.

Like they are saying keep it supported by the bunks. if you don`t you are putting a lot of stress on the transom with the weight not being properly supported.

Also check your trailer cross members for time to time when you have launched the boat, especially with bigger motors. I have seen the welds holding the cross members crack from the side rails, they take a beating going down the road. The ones I have seen crack have been to the rear of the trailer.

The winch/mast should be placed so that no more than 10% of the weight on the trailer is on the tongue. Can that be properly estimated by how far the end of the boat overhangs the bunks? Probably not the best way to judge, IMO.

I agree with Nanuk - 100%.

Good luck with it.

The term is called Hooking and that is were the transom cups at the back edge due to transom not being supported by the trailer. It will cause the boat to plant the nose more than it was designed for and it is a weakening of the transom. Not only support the transom with the bunk boards but the bunk boards need to be supported to keep them from warping from the weight.

Art

As long as the transom is beyond the rear support for you bunks, you should be good-you don't want it extended past the end of the bunks though. As mentioned, you want to ensure your tongue weight is appropriate so you don't get sway; I used the good old bathroom scale to check mine.

Jer, you can do what I did .I bought a 2' piece of box steel the exavt size and a 2' piece the same size as the inner diameter and sleeved them together and did a nice weld. It made the tongue a little heavier but did not cause any swaying because I never change the balance weight ratio of the boat over the tires.