Some fun out on the big lake!

BillM

Picked up a Lund at the end of last season and have been itching to get it out on some bigger water ever since. Also picked up a Yamaha High Thrust T8 kicker for trolling duties instead of running the 115 Yamaha main.. Along with the T8, I was super pumped to try out the TrollMaster Pro2 I recently installed for remote throttle! Davey and I decided to play it by ear, found (or so we thought) a decent window of weather and made the jump!

I'm happy to say the boat and the rest of the stuff on it performed flawlessly, we took a beating pretty much all day and the boat handled it with ease... Took us a while to pattern these fish (as we started based upon some advice we got earlier in the week).. Well they weren't where they were 'supposed' to be so we expanded our horizons a bit until we got into some fish. First fish to the boat was a 12lb or so chrome chinook, as Davey was clearing the lines, #2 rigger goes off!! Doubleheader! There was a really small area where we constantly got into fish, if you were out of it, you were staring at a blank screen. Had a great time out on the water, in the end the waves just got way to big to do anything safely.. Packed her up and headed home. Totals for the day were 4 chinooks, 2 lakers and 2 coho.. I lost a big big fish after surfacing and running for about 200-300ft... I guess that 20 year old Trilene XT needs to be changed!

Here's Davey with the first two.

IMG_2254_683x1024.jpg

A nice face shot of the big boy.

7093524107_acb0c598c8_b.jpg

Davey doing the honours with the first one I reeled in..

IMG_2257-2.jpg

A fat little laker that decided he wanted to play as well.

IMG_2267_1024x683.jpg

Dave with another!

IMG_2275_1024x683.jpg

The little beast in action!

IMG_2278_1024x683.jpg

Edited by BillM

Wow, nice looking Silver! That 1st one looks pretty messed up around the gills? Was it worn away or a defect?

Looks like a fun outing, congrats on the new gear working as expected.

He was missing a gill plate. I've seen a few salmon like that. Didn't seem to affect him much though, he was the biggest we caught all day, lol!

Dave, I believe it's a kit by Goldeneye.

'Goldeneye Panther 55 2600 Auxiliary Motor Steering Kit'

Thanks Bill

Can that one be left hooked up all the time?

Even when one of the motors is tilted up?

I am trying to figure out what to do when I repower my boat.

I don't know wheter to add a second set of controls and a motor connector or use a Pro Troll 3 and add the panther electronic steering control. It would be nice if it could integrate with my GPS for auto pilot use when trolling. ;)

Thanks Bill

I am trying to figure out what to do when I repower my boat.

I don't know wheter to add a second set of controls and a motor connector or use a Pro Troll 3 and add the panther electronic steering control. It would be nice if it could integrate with my GPS for auto pilot use when trolling. ;)

I thought about a second set of controls as well, but to be honest for what I use it for I can't see it being worth while. All I gotta do is go to the back, start the motor (it's electric start) and put it in gear. After that I do everything from the front...

As for the steering rod, I've had both motors tilted up with it attached, but I don't think it's designed to work like that. I know the EZ Steer which works from the rear of each engine (compared to the front on mine) will work regardless of which tilt positions either of the motors are in.. You might wanna check out that one!

Looks like the same one that I got last fall, works great but has to be disconnected when traveling. Not a big problem as it only take a couple of seconds to hook it back up again.

Great day on the water Bill!! :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for the report.

You were at the house? I just got out of the shower like 15mins ago! LOL!

:EDIT: Holy crap man! I think I'll be set for years! I got some stuff in the freezer for you :)

Edited by BillM

I'm going to be cursing that last fish that busted off! (and the fact it took 2 of the spoons I just bought, lol!)

Welcome to the wonderful world of rigging for big game.... :whistling: Curious as to whether or not you guys are going to eat the fish....if you do im sure there will be some good fish frys comming up this summer

Nice shootin!!!! the fish look great but i cant believe you let that "greasy boot" on your boat...