NF - Got Netflix then the bell bill came....

atvaholic

$156.00. How is that not criminal?

I surely do consume alot of bandwidth as I work from home and send large files to servers...But I started watching netflix and WOW.

Needless to say i'm done with bell and any of the big boys who charge rediculous amounts of money.

Are there any decent "true" unlimited services out there? I will pay up to $70 a month but no more.

I have Netflix as well...50 GB bandwidth limit per month. I went online to my Netflix profile and made sure that "Good quality" was chosen to save on bandwidth. It was used EXTENSIVELY and I still didn't go over my limit for the month.

Hey CCMT. Problem is I go over without netflix. Im fine with paying more because of this, but thats rediculous.

Im gonna call Teksavvy. Tonyb do you have experience with them?

X2 for teksavvy ! I've had them for the last year and NEVER had a "out of line" bill. NEVER went over band width and watch netflix pretty well daily. I have a tablet and you tube and net flix are the main uses.... so I do use enough bandwidth !

AND... I pay I think $45 a month for 300gb !

well

I got rid of Netflix because of the bandwidth I was using, everyone was watching HD movies and it didn't' take many days to reach my limit, I set it up so rogers would email me when I get close to my limit.....a few days of movies and we hit the limit..bang netflixs gone. so not over charge.....

http://www.acanac.ca/cable.html

I have heard good and bad reports on these guys

I use Teksavvy cable. They offer both DSL and cable. You don't really need it to be the fastest down speed either. The 3-6Mb should be just fine for NetFlix, but faster doesn't hurt. IMO, Teksavvy offers what I would consider a fair service. They aren't anything spectacular, BUT compared to what else is out there, it's one of the best options.

yea i forgot about the modem purchase !

Oh yea, one thing that I came across with a used modem purchase, the previous owner needs to call up their ISP to release the serial ID associated with that modem. If it's a new modem, that shouldn't be a problem.

After that, it's been smooth sailing. Just can't find enough things to use up my 300gb cap. lol I've even heard if you go over a bit, they don't even charge you.

I used Netflix on Rogers during my first recovery stint and streaming a movie from Netflix takes less bandwidth than from most other sites. Rogers charges up to a maximum of only 50 dollars a month if you exceed their plan. I did have to increase my bandwidth after Rogers reduced my bandwidth on my original plan. I will be using it again and I'm not worried if I use more bandwidth than I currently have. Bell likely has no cut off.

Check your 'upload' vs 'download'. I'm not well versed in the tech field but the same thing happened to a colleague and his cable provider reversed the charges when they realized what had happened. Something about a movie he downloaded from Netflix was being 'uploaded' to others repeatedly.

Good luck.

LOL 50gigs, unlimited?

must be nice living within reach of cable/dsl. :lol:

lol in a way I feel your pain Raf - I live in the country and originally tried Xplornet's satellite which was complete garbage, then I dropped 8 grand on a 90 foot tower so I could get their direct line of sight internet. It's FAR from cable or DSL but for $60 a month I get a good connection and unlimited internet. We got rid of our TV dish and just use a combination of Netflix and Apple TV now... and I upload and download gigs upon gigs of footage for my job every week. My only other option would be that internet hub which would cost me hundreds of dollars per month with the amount of Data I use.

i got the extreme internet with rogers... 40 mb per second dl speeds.. (its riduclous fast) and 150 gb per month...

I dont go over but ussually around 100 gb... netflix and some downloading

i think i pay 78$ for internet and basic cable per month

Have a look at a new company called Start Communications. They are offering their services in Rogers and Cogeco land. Pricing seems reasonable and faster then Cogeco/Rogers. 16mb/s down 1mb/s up 300gig for 50$/month. I will be signing up soon.

http://www.start.ca/services/highspeed

Thank you Fish4Eyes!!! I know many people who have switched to TekSavvy and had positive experiences, but I couldn't get their service where I live in Burlington.

Start.ca looks to be able to service my address! so I am just waiting on a confirmation email and if it's a go, this is a no brainer to switch.

I'd be paying $10 less per month, and getting 125GB more than my current plan (300GB vs 175GB)

I don't care about Cogeco's 'Up To' speed claims...it's all about the bandwidth allowance clapping.gif

Thank you Fish4Eyes!!! I know many people who have switched to TekSavvy and had positive experiences, but I couldn't get their service where I live in Burlington.

Start.ca looks to be able to service my address! so I am just waiting on a confirmation email and if it's a go, this is a no brainer to switch.

I'd be paying $10 less per month, and getting 125GB more than my current plan (300GB vs 175GB)

I don't care about Cogeco's 'Up To' speed claims...it's all about the bandwidth allowance clapping.gif

Glad I could help. See if you can haggle out of paying the $50 installation fee. Tell them there is promotions in my area offering installation for free :D. You do have to buy a modem though. Check which one you need for the internet package you decide to go with and then look it up on ebay/kijiji to see if you can find it cheaper. Let me know how it goes as I will be signing up soon as well. They just launched this service in our area.

lol in a way I feel your pain Raf - I live in the country and originally tried Xplornet's satellite which was complete garbage, then I dropped 8 grand on a 90 foot tower so I could get their direct line of sight internet. It's FAR from cable or DSL but for $60 a month I get a good connection and unlimited internet. We got rid of our TV dish and just use a combination of Netflix and Apple TV now... and I upload and download gigs upon gigs of footage for my job every week. My only other option would be that internet hub which would cost me hundreds of dollars per month with the amount of Data I use.

I'm in the same boat, living in the country & currently on Bell's internet hub - $45 for 3GB :lol: . I also get 3GB through my work phone, so I can tether it if needed.

Xplornet is advertising their 'new' 4G service is now available in my area but I haven't done my research on it (ie is it any different than their previous service) nor do I hear too many people say favourable things about Xplornet.

Dropping $8k on a tower is not an option for me.

Just a note, don't confuse MegaBITS with MegaBYTES. It's an advertising gimmick. All ISP's claim these high speeds in MegaBITS [these are theoretical maximums as well, not typical], but all download "speed meters" are in MegaBYTES per second. My service is 28 MegaBITS per second or 3.5 MegaBYTEs per second (there are 8 bits in a single byte). However, at best I can reach 2 Megabytes/second [rarely see this] and typically it's about 800 kilobytes/second - far from the 3.5 MB/s claim.

A service like Netflix should be fast though, my experience with them was bad so I never went beyond the free 30 day trial (turns out it was most likely Rogers throttling me though). Netflix recommends a minimum of 0.5 Megabytes per second [or 4 Megabits/second].

Also, the G in the 3G and 4G reference for wireless devices is Generation not Gigabyte. The speed of these varies depending on protocols used by the provider. What's interesting is that the true 4G standard is incredibly fast, even faster than wired networks, which to me is just crazy.

Edited by FishLogic

You guys in the South are very lucky!!!

Inet pricing in the far North is brutal.

I have a basic cable package and it's 5 Meg Down 384K up 20 Gig usage and costs me about $70 per month.

The closest we have to unlimited is 50 Meg down 2 Meg up and 100 Gig usage for $120/mo. :(

I could get a better pkg than I have in Ontario with Bell for less than $45. :wallbash:

Heck the Fibe 25 package would be less than I am paying now and give me 25 Meg down, 7 Meg up and 100 Gigs usage. :rolleyes:

I have used Teksavvy for the past 6 months and although the price is definitely cheaper, the speed of the internet is EXTREMELY SLOW! The big boys who own the infrastructure, throttle the living heck out of it. I can barely stream anything on Youtube unless it is before 7am or after 11pm. If you expect to use the internet at all during peak times, don't expect much, from my experience.

I'm moving at the end of this month, but I will definitely not be using Teksavvy in the future unless they can find a way to keep my speed similar during peak periods.