Outboard Motor Help Needed

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Figure someone with a bit more knowledge out there may be able to help.

I have had an issue with my 1988 Johnson 20HP tiller motor for some time now. The motor pulls away from me during operation (no matter what speed) meaning I have to strong arm it to keep in place while running it. If I let go, it swings quickly away from me - to the left. This makes for an uncomfortable day running down the lake as I have to keep my arm and shoulder fully flexed the entire time to keep ii running straight and true.

Any idea what could be causing this? Is there an easy fix? Unfortunately, the owners manual is long gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Justin

Justin, check out Iboats.com. There is a section in the Forum for Johnson outboards. There are a few knowledgeable gurus on that board that should be able to point you in the right direction and you may be able to get the manuals for it there as well.

I assume it is easy to adjust the "fin?" Move it to the opposite direction of pull to alleviate the issue?

Yup, that's correct Justin but just move it a bit at a time as it doesn't take much to fix it.

Thanks, Guys...

I found this photo (not the best) showing my motor.

Outboard.jpg

Although I may be wrong, the only "fin" we have is the horizontal plate right at my Dad's nose. I don't believe I have a vertical fin. Is that horizontal piece the one that needs to be adjusted? Again, don't seem to think it had any bolts to adjust it with.

I didn't think these motors had the fin. I know the original design had a shear pin prop and an exhaust port in place of the fin. OMC then changed it to a thru-hub exhaust but I am not sure they put in the fin in place of the exhaust port. I have 30 Evinrude on my pontoon boat at the cottage and I will check when I open it up. Justin, failing the fin look for the steering tension adjuster which should be located close to the pivot shaft that the steering is anchored to. It will be slotted head, 7/16 bolt threaded through a spring. It must be too loose, adjust the tension until you're happy.

Thanks for taking the time and snapping a photo, Lew and Mike. Hmmm, if I was to guess, I don't believe we have ever had one. I also don't believe there are any screw holes showing. Strange.

Will be talking to my Dad this afternoon and try to get to the bottom of it. Looks like we will need to pick one up - and either get a marina to install one or see if we can do it.

Thanks again, guys...for all your help.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks for your insight, Smokestack - that probably explains why I don't think one was ever stock on this motor. I will take a look for the steering adjuster - maybe that is all that is needed.

Will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

As a side note - this issue caused a shoulder injury for me and my physiotherapist was amazed at the size of my muscle mass in my left shoulder/neck area compared to my right. We are fairly certain it is from strong arming this over the last decade or two, haha!

I didn't think these motors had the fin.

You could very well be right on that but I just assumed all motors had the adjusting fin. I had a new 25 Johnson back in the late 80's that definetely had one.

Yep, there will be a bolt on the side of the leg of your motor to adjust steering tension. I adjust mine tighter when I am doing a lot of trolling, so i don't have to steer as much. I then loosen it a half a turn when running on plane. Sounds like its backed out on you.

S.

As a side note - this issue caused a shoulder injury for me and my physiotherapist was amazed at the size of my muscle mass in my left shoulder/neck area compared to my right. We are fairly certain it is from strong arming this over the last decade or two, haha!

Sure it's from strong arming Justin :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

its usually a sacrificial part as well that will curode to protect the main motor from corrosion...

it might have curoded right off...

its the silver piece above the prop

index.jpg

Only if used in salt water.

Freshwater they don't corrode.

And yes it looks like it's missing.

Mine fell off somewhere on the road a couple of years ago. :wallbash:

Another thing to check is the trim pin that sets the motor angle when running.

If it has been lost the boat will try to push the nose down into the water and this will also cause the pulling issue.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Drifter's suggestion makes sense if it is a missing pin. Nose down with weight on one side could cause your boat to carve, to the right in your case. Paddlers use a somewhat similar principal when entering and exiting eddies. Once locked into a carve, it can be a pain to correct because you need to overcome or minimize the bow wave. At least that's my guess...

Another thing to check is the trim pin that sets the motor angle when running.

If it has been lost the boat will try to push the nose down into the water and this will also cause the pulling issue.

Exactly, when starting from a stop when I hit the throttle I have the engine tucked down to keep the bow down as it comes onto plane, when it gets on plane there is considerable pull to one side in the steering wheel, but then trim the motor out and there is a sweet spot where the steering torque is neutral which also seems to coincide with max rpm and speed. I would try moving the cross pin that controls the trim out a notch or 2 and see if that helps.

More good advice. I did change the pin position quite a few years ago as it seemed to make the boat plane quicker and ride smoother. However, perhaps this has caused an imbalance and is now causing pull instead. Will give that a go also..

Thanks to all!