Boycott Two of the Gas Companies

Oggie

I think they were talking a month long boycott, Big Cliff.

Not sure it's a waste of time but I agree most people don't care enough to bother. I think the problem is apathy.

Dan O.

And that is exactly why we might as well just bend over. We have over 7000 members on this site and about 7 of them might be willing to give it a try. Pathetic!

The wife and I have been getting our gas from the small guys for years I can not remember when I last went to Esso or Petro Canada shell some times if I have to and am on that side of town but not on purpose.

Don't kid yourself, the 'little' guys get their gas from the same place, the big boys. Suncor, imperial, and shell are the big players. Everyone gets their gas from one of them.

I had to drive down to Peterboro this morning and I needed gas.

I checked all the gas stations on the way into town and the cheapest was ESSO at $1.30 so on the way back home that's who got my money.

you can't fight the system by boycotting one or two places. vote responsibly. :thumbsup_anim:

Which political party would stand up for the consumer? They all make big money on gas price increases since their portion is a percentage of the price.

BTW somebody else already has thread on this topic and I didn't see it. Maybe we should add comments to the OP.

Dan O.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Which political party would stand up for the consumer? They all make big money on gas price increases since their portion is a percentage of the price.

i'll give you a hint... it's not the oil installation that is running the country now! :thumbsup_anim:

I think they were talking a month long boycott, Big Cliff.

Not sure it's a waste of time but I agree most people don't care enough to bother. I think the problem is apathy.

Dan O.

And that is exactly why we might as well just bend over. We have over 7000 members on this site and about 7 of them might be willing to give it a try. Pathetic!

Apathy and evil. The two work hand in hand. They are the same, really.... Evil wills it. Apathy allows it. Evil hates the innocent and the defenseless most of all. Apathy doesn't care as long as it's not personally inconvenienced.

JAKE THOENE, Shaiton's Fire

You can start to fight them by getting rid of their credit cards if you have one....I've never figured out why people would buy gas that's 2-3 cents more at esso when the station across the road sells for cheaper....unless they have an esso card....at anywhere from 18-29 percent interest!!!

I filled up @ 132.9 at the local No Frills here... The Esso here is town was @ 141.9.... Add to that you get a 2 cent per litre coupon to use in the store...

A 9 cent a litre difference...

No Frills now has more then just my shopping needs taken care of.

G

Yes....it does help to buy from small independent owners. Yes they buy their gas from Shell etc but they have the option of buying from the one who sells their gas at the lowest price so in effect, the independents make the big companies compete one against the other for his business.

Independent owners do not have the fancy gas stations because they do not have the big companies who want exclusivity by offering to modernize the gas stations owned by the independents.

Yes....it would hurt the big companies to boycott all the gas stations that are not run by independent owners. Yes, it would hurt those who lease the big name stations but that's how business works.

Here in my region, there are a lot of independent owners. The gas prices are much lower than in Montreal or Quebec city. The big companies will even lower the prices at their tanks in an area in order to force the independent owners into bankruptcy.

Here is where the apathy comes in. Not enough people actually care about how much they pay at a gas station. For them, it's all the same everywhere.

Yes....it does help to buy from small independent owners. Yes they buy their gas from Shell etc but they have the option of buying from the one who sells their gas at the lowest price so in effect, the independents make the big companies compete one against the other for his business.

Independent owners do not have the fancy gas stations because they do not have the big companies who want exclusivity by offering to modernize the gas stations owned by the independents.

Yes....it would hurt the big companies to boycott all the gas stations that are not run by independent owners. Yes, it would hurt those who lease the big name stations but that's how business works.

Here in my region, there are a lot of independent owners. The gas prices are much lower than in Montreal or Quebec city. The big companies will even lower the prices at their tanks in an area in order to force the independent owners into bankruptcy.

Here is where the apathy comes in. Not enough people actually care about how much they pay at a gas station. For them, it's all the same everywhere.

The independants sign agreements with a certain supplier generally for a full year, they don't just call Imperial this week and then Petro-Canada next week. With out the agreements they don't sit high on the priority list to get filled back up when needed and in times of high demand being stuck high and dry without fuel to sell is not a good thing. Guys I know it sounds simple to just boycott here and buy there and that independants can buy where they wish but it is more complicated than this behind the scenes. Trust me I work for a company that supplies industrial and commercial construction materials and there are affiliations with certain manufacturers that we get prefered pricing with and priority delivery and our competition has affiliations with other manufacturers that they get better pricing from than we do. That is the way it works in most retail environments including gas, its not as simple as we wish for it to be. There is a fixed demand every single week for gas, we need to work, go to groceries etc. We can only change our variable use like our boats , atvs, trips up to the cottage, basically extra recreation and that is not enough to have that significant an impact and the gas companies know it.

What bothers me more is the following, this is based on the last fill up of the company truck after reviewing the reciept.

Total fill up 106.188L at $1.34/l Total= $142.50

Taxes federal $0.10/l = $10.61

Provincial $0.147/l = $15.60

HST= $16.40

Tax Total= $42.61

Total gas cost $99.89/ less than $1.00 per liter! What was the percentage of tax on that fill up and lets ask who is really hosing us at the pump!

Edited by express168

you can't fight the system by boycotting one or two places. vote responsibly. :thumbsup_anim:

Ya, because Liberal & NDP "carbon credits" would do nothing but drive energy prices down... :sarcasm:

My thought exactly Cliff, even if it's a few of us that will give it a go, they may see the picture.

I had to drive down to Peterboro this morning and I needed gas.

I checked all the gas stations on the way into town and the cheapest was ESSO at $1.30 so on the way back home that's who got my money.

Never know Lew, they mite be hearing whats planned. We hope she goes back to 50 cents a litre.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Ya, because Liberal & NDP "carbon credits" would do nothing but drive energy prices down... :sarcasm:

let's save the cereal box economics for another thread. :whistling:

ask yourself why harper insists on shipping our raw bitumen away instead of processing it in canada. or do you think selling off our resources and buying them back is sustainable and good for the economy?

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Apathy and evil. The two work hand in hand. They are the same, really.... Evil wills it. Apathy allows it. Evil hates the innocent and the defenseless most of all. Apathy doesn't care as long as it's not personally inconvenienced.

JAKE THOENE, Shaiton's Fire

Nice

If someone organizes a boycott, I'm in.

let's save the cereal box economics for another thread. :whistling:

ask yourself why harper insists on shipping our raw bitumen away instead of processing it in canada. or do you think selling off our resources and buying them back is sustainable and good for the economy?

Probably because we don't have the refining capacity in this country.

Maybe we should build a brand new, shiny refinery in the Sault?

Edited by Jer