Lake Simcoe Stranded ice fishermen

chuckymcd

In case anyone is interested I heard on the radio this morning that they are going to charge the stranded people the $5,000.00 that it cost for the rescue effort.

They mentioned something about community service as well, maybe in lieu of the fine.

I herd on the radio this morning, that some of the anglers are planning a baseball tourny, and the money raised will go to against the charges. That's their form of comunity service.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but if that's how they want to raise money to pay their bills, then go for it. But I don't consider a baseball tourny "comunity service", IMO.

A fundraising baseball tourney ? So someone else is paying their fines basically ? what a fail. Community service should be manual labour, cleaning up garbage at boat launches for the season, that kinda thing. Having fun hitting balls doesn't count.

You have real criminals in lock up that should be doing this....not law abiding tax paying citizens.

They're not charged/ convicted of a crime so it's community hours. I've always understood those hours to be doing something to benefit the community and a baseball fundraiser (to help pay their fines no less) doesn't count imo. Their community service hours should be something that allows them to reflect on why they're doing such hours. Baseball is play and then get drunk and laugh at the process. I also don't believe for one second that they'll take anything away from their experience, well hopefully a few will.

My last response (to both threads here)......I just can't believe how fast fellow anglers here are so quick to rip into their comrades instead of standing besides them when their support is needed the most....it could easily been anyone of us among that group that need help from our paid government emergency services.

Bob

To be honest I think if anyone by there own stupidity endagers lives and costs huge bucks in rescue efforts, that they should be asked to do community service. Maybe clean up the docks or collect die off, or volunteer at a soup kitchen or something. Fines, yah maybe, if you don't want to lend a hand helping out.

Ofcourse they would do something with baseball. Borelli ( the guy thats been rescued 3 times) runs the orillia mens slow pitch. They should have to pay the fine and that money be put back into cleaning up boat launches and beaches. Having fun playing baseball isnt much of a punishment is it ?

My last response (to both threads here)......I just can't believe how fast fellow anglers here are so quick to rip into their comrades instead of standing besides them when their support is needed the most....it could easily been anyone of us among that group that need help from our paid government emergency services.

Bob

Comrads? Have you read some of the threads? Not everyone here likes each other just because we have a common interest. It's just a common interest we are here to discuss. The comradary is formed outside of this site, on the lake, imo... trust me what I say that I don't like every fisherman out there and I won't blindly support them wallbash.gif

Anyway, at this moment, i agree with you, Bob, unless they were charged under the Criminal Code they should not pay. The county of Simcoe is notoriously cheap and penalizing. It doesn't suprise me that they wanted some kind of retribution.

$200 is peanuts, and I'm glad they weren't billed for the entire rescue... the precedence that would set would be scary.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

good.. i don't want intelligent peoples taxes to pay for morons actions.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Yesterday 13 Wisconsin anglers were rescused from the ice from the Manitoba side of Lake of the Woods after being warned about unsafe conditions. Today one of the rescuers wants the group to pay their cost,i agree stupid people must start paying for their misadventures.

Here is a link

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/manitoba/us-fishermen-on-manitoba-ice-floe-urged-to-pay-rescue-bill

Edited by bowslayer

Bob

could have but it wasn't any of us, just them, and one of them for a 3rd time. With the weather we've had this past winter and repeated warnings, enough said. NO SYMPATHY.

could have but it wasn't any of us, just them, and one of them for a 3rd time. With the weather we've had this past winter and repeated warnings, enough said. NO SYMPATHY.

I'M WITH YOU ON THAT BOB...I DON'T THINK ONE OF THEM GUYS PLANNED ON GETTING RESCUED THAT DAY BUT I'M SURE THEY WERE GLAD THEY WERE THERE TO RESCUE THEM. COMMON SENCE...SOME HAVE IT AND OTHERS DON'T...DOSEN'T MEAN THAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE RESCUED...AS FAR AS PAYING THE TAB...I THINK THEY COULD MAKE A DONATION TO SOMETHING THAT COULD BENIFIT OTHERS....AND YA BOB....ALL THE LOVE ON THIS SITE BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE ...

well I think they will have to give us a pay scale for rescue, just so we know..so we can decide if it is worth the risk before we do things..

ice fishing....200 a rescue

downhill skiing ..sure you know people get hurt and have to be rescued

snowmobiling yup every year rescuers have to go into the bush and rescue them so atving too

hunting yup

hiking oh yeah far more people rescued the icefishing

paintballing sure

camping could be

bungee jumping....no that seems perfectly safe..so that should be a free rescue..LOL

now

driving in the fog...every foggy day people get rescued from their cars...bill them

rain snow ice ..not safe bill them

and just for the record, every day this icefish season, such as it was, the ice on simcoe was reported unsafe...

so how could businesses have huts out if it was deemed unsafe

and if it is deemed unsafe should there be a law that makes it illegal to go on the ice....

so what was my point

I don't know I rambled so much I forgot

LOL

if icefishing rescue is billed then almost all rescues should be billed....is driving in the fog any safer then fishing on the ice...

if icefishing rescue is billed then almost all rescues should be billed....is driving in the fog any safer then fishing on the ice...

No but what about driving in the fog with your eyes closed at 200 mph

or

skiing on a closed hill due to avalanche warnings

or

hiking in forest when there is a forest fire in the area

When you're told not to do something and you do it anyway and you as a grown adult should know better its no longer a freak act of nature... its your own fault... and as such you should be held accountable. If that means you foot the bill for your own stupidity so be it.

JHMO