need some advice (no not hockey related)

muskymatt

It's really hard to say Matt without witnessing the incident. Ironically I'm "kind of" going through something similar.

I have to tell you guys what just happened recently in my house. It's a long story but it's been festering for awhile now.

My sister in law was living with us recently for a short while along with her 120lb mastiff.

As many of you know I have a 11/2 year old german shorthair, which happens to be way less than half the size of the mastiff. By and large she's a big happy idiot that wants nothing more than to play all day, my 5 year old sleeps with her every night. Not once had I seen an ounce of aggression out of her....until recently.

She pestered the mastiff constantly, trying to get it to play and the bigger dog mostly ignored her. Total opposite personalities.

One morning when I was alone the house I heard this crazy racket and the mastiff had my dog by the neck shaking it like a rag doll. My dog was mewling in pain. I couldn't get it to let go of my dog. I punched it, I kicked it, it still wouldn't let go and was shaking her violently. Ultimately in complete desperation I BIT the damn dogs ear myself and she finally let go. I firmly believe it would have killed my dog.

The second the mastiff let go, my dog viciously tried to attack it, I honestly was shocked.

I pulled them apart, put them in separate rooms and left for work without telling anyone in my family what had happened (figured it would blow over and didn't want to cause any angst). BIG mistake.

Later that night when my sister in law came home and let her dog out, MY dog went at her again like a wild animal. Apparantly it wasn't pretty.

Everyone calms down and I say "that's it, sorry but this dog needs to be out of my house".

My wife and her sister disagreed (it was like having two angry wives LOL!)

They promised they'd constantly keep the two dogs apart until my sister in law moved out. This strange situation lasted one week.

Then one night we're all peacefully watching tv and Joanne gets it in her head to bring the mastiff out for a pee.

My dog was laying quietly beside me, then suddenly the mastiff chuffs at my dog and before I can do anything my dog leaps up and tries to attack it again.

My wife got in the middle of the two dogs and the mastiff bit her badly on the wrist trying to get at my dog. Fractured bones in her wrist and deep wounds that required a bunch of stitches. It was a nightmare.

The mastiff was out of my house shortly afterwards.

NOW my issue is everyone on my wifes side of the family is convinced my dog is vicious and needs to go. No one but me saw that damn dog attack mine for no reason and nearly kill her. I've explained, but it goes over everyone's head.

As far as I'm concerned my dog was protecting herself, her family and her territory.

I honestly didn't know she had it in her.

IMO it was the mastiff who snapped and I've flat out told my family I don't ever want my kids anywhere near that dog again.

Thankfully my wife agrees 100%, but man it's causing some big time strife in our household right now!

(sorry for the huge thread hijack, I needed to get that off my chest)

I know when dogs are fighting, they snap and lash at anything near them (ie your wifes hand). I've read that people dog sledding in the Yukon, have the whole sleigh and dog team fall into a well around a spruce tree. The dogs being piled in together, start to fight and can shred the sleigh driver in the chaos.

It's you're call, you know the situation the best, you're living it, but it sounds like your dog was a model family member before the mastiff moved in. I'm biased though, I'm an animal/ pet lover myself. Hopefully things work out fine.

The answer for me is......you don't put your family member down because of an isolated bite. If the dog snapped and didn't release from a bite and you had to pull him off I could see being much more concerned. But from the sounds of this incident.....not even close to bein justified to put him down. It's up to you to manage him though and keep an eye on him as dr. Sal mentioned. He may have something going on that has him on edge.

I agree with Dr. Sal. My first move would be to have your Vet check him out. By 10 yrs. old, stuff starts going wrong[like turning 60 , for men!]. Dogs often act aggressively, when in pain. We had a yellow lab, when I was a kid on the farm. Hell , she used to bite me at least once a week! She never got put down. That being said , I have had to put one of my Labs down after 3 strikes. Great hunter, but couldn't trust him around the kids anymore. Good luck with your issue. I hope everything works out. Putting your buddy down is pretty upsetting.[i cried like a little girl]

I hate to write this, but I had a black lab that was very very well trained and showed zero aggression. As a pup I used to put his food in my hand and put it in his mouth, also used to bang pots and pans and shout as he ate. (relate happy times to loud noises, makes them less gun shy)

When he was still young around 5 he took a swipe at me out of the blue. Way out of his character. Took him to the vet, he was very sick, very sick.

Take the advice others mentioned above and have him looked at.

If he is healthy, maybe he forgot the rules and needs a reminder like sinker said.

Holy Crap Mike (Solo) that is a BAD situation.

Matt, I too did the food thing with "Duffy" as a puppy. I always put my hand in his dish, covered up his food, took food and treats from his mouth (always gave it back) and I trust him around my 2 boys. I still stick to my original reply. If he bit one of my boys (un-provoked) he would be put down.

You have to reassert yourself as the Alpha. Stick your hand in his food and if he so much as growls, take his food away until he is ready to be nice. We have to remember that dogs are animals and need to be treated as such. I'd also say to get him checked out by the vet because you never know if an issue has cropped up for an older dog.

Matt, I just watched a episode of the dog whisperer. Caesar was asked in to look at 2 hybrid wolves and one of them had a feed issue like you describe. I was amazed at how easily and quickly he fixed the problem. You need to raise the dogs dish to head height so he is not eating in attack position.you can do this simply by holding his dish or get a stand to hold it up at head height..Most pet stores sell them. Then when he s fed by your wife she needs to stand between him and his food. She has to be the boss and make him submit before he gets to eat. That means totally relaxed and all signs of aggression gone. See if you can look up the episode online so you can see how he dealt with this..It worked like a charm.. Good luck

I've heard of the raised dish before but didn't think of it, yes it works. I've watched enough of Cesar to see his success and techniques, he's good! Copper(my boy) knows I'm the Alpha, and there is no issue there, just the food, it turns him into an idiot.

I've stood between him and his dish asserting dominance, hoping to get him out of the "red" zone(as Cesar puts it), but he'll just cower and shake, for as long as I'm there. I'm starting to believe that only total seclusion while eating is needed, a micro second after finishing his food, he's back to normal. As if nothing has happened.

1 bite in 10 years shouldn't be a death sentence.

I have to agree 100%.......a good dog is hard to come by.....if this happened again and you have other issue with this dog....well then, that's different. And if you do decide you no longer can handle this dog at home, a dog rescue person should be contacted before you put it down....that should be the LAST resort as it's irreversible.