First day out on Sturgeon Lake for the season

Big Cliff

Well, it wasn't the beautiful warm sunny temperatures we'd been having all week and the ENE wind was clipping along pretty good, there were plenty of big white caps out there but I had planned to go fishing and fishing I was going! (the older I get the more stuborn I seem to be LOL)

Gareth decided to join me this morning, Sean opted to stay in bed (he had a good reason but we won't go there, his mother might read this thread) :whistling: so we headed to a favorite spot on the lake to see if we might be able to entice a few crappies into the live well (those of you who know me will know where I went).

Well, saddly, that wasn't to be, the water temperature was only 51.0° which is still too cold to get them active. We did manage to get several nice bluegill and some decent perch but not one single crappie.

To top it all off, there were at least 12 of us fishing there already (I can remember when if you saw another boat it was a special occasion). Anyway, the final tally was several mid size perch, one large sunfish, and about 6 rather nice blue gills. Not a bad morning fishing by any standard.

yup the "secret spot" isn't so secret anymore, gonna get that side scan going and find them in some other locations this year, thanks for sharing cliff, i may get out tomorrow, planned today but lost the water in the house just as i was getting ready to leave

You know Cliff, if you didn't tell everybody about it, there would be less of a crowd :wallbash: No disrespect, but if your going to complain about the crowds on your lake, you might want to keep your lips sealed......just sayin, and I mean no harm saying that!!!

S.

You know Cliff, if you didn't tell everybody about it, there would be less of a crowd :wallbash: No disrespect, but if your going to complain about the crowds on your lake, you might want to keep your lips sealed......just sayin, and I mean no harm saying that!!!

S.

Point taken!

Its not even the crowd I worry about, its those gawd dammm poachers!!! Remember when you post it here, anyone can find your post with a simple google search. Just google sturgeon lake, and I bet this post comes up.

Tight lips!! :whistling:

S.

Its not even the crowd I worry about, its those gawd dammm poachers!!! Remember when you post it here, anyone can find your post with a simple google search. Just google sturgeon lake, and I bet this post comes up.

S.

So the answer is to never post anything related to fishing on this site again! As I said, Point Taken!

So the answer is to never post anything related to fishing on this site again! As I said, Point Taken!

You took that very well Cliff!!!!! Even though I am sure it angered you.

For the record, I don't think you have ever stated where your crappie spots are on Sturgeon - from what I have seen.

The kids and I may head your way this spring - I will text you if we do:)

My daughter got a 13.5" crappie on Thursday - she was pumped!!! So was I:)

I caught nothing - she was not a gracious winner.LOL

Landry

Edited by landry

Gareth decided to join me this morning, Sean opted to stay in bed (he had a good reason but we won't go there, his mother might read this thread) :whistling:

Um... Mom doesn't even know this site exists LOL. But dad does :whistling::whistling:

So you're saying Sean was up studying late Cliff? That's my boy :clapping::clapping:

No, that's not the answer at all. Just don't name lakes, and keep quiet about your favourite spots. You can talk fishing all day long without naming lakes. I do all the time. I even post photos of my catch, and nobody knows where I'm fishing.

I hope I didn't upset you Cliff. After the fiasco I witnessed up there last year, my lips are sealed for good. I hope you understand where I'm coming from!!

S.

No, that's not the answer at all. Just don't name lakes,

S.

The man lives on the lake! Oh My God, people crappie fish on Sturgeon Lake. Who woulda thought?

I plan on fishing Buckhorn for crappie tomorrow, or shouldn't I mention that...

S.

S.

OH MY GOODNESS CLIFF. What were you thinking?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=sturgeon+lake+ontario&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&redir_esc=&ei=ZGZuT-a7OqeY0QGg0djDBg

We're not allowed to name lakes anymore (apparently) :unsure::unsure:

BTW, what song are you listening to?

Well, I've been going to this cool park on Sturgeon for the last ~8 years, before there was no problems, no tent over night signs everywhere but OPP never cared, fishing was awesome years ago, etc. Now, you better show up at 5 pm to get an evening bite spot on the limited amount of shorelne there is, you can't tent anymore, and theres ALWAYS people there... thanks to the internet? Maybe... maybe not. Forget fishing the falls. Same goes for this bridge spot in the area, want to see 24 inch ski's on a stringer?

Point is, Sturgeon is crap :devil:

I fish with both Big Cliff and Sinker. As a matter of fact I fished with Shayne Wednesday and am looking forward to sharing time on the water with Cliff tomorrow. You would have a very difficult time finding two nicers guys to share a day on the water with.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Maybe that's the way we all should leave this one.

S.

You're kidding right?

And I'm the problem on this board?

He lives in the Kawarthas, he fishes in the Kawarthas. In the Kawarthas you look to see where all of the boats are parked and you go fish there.

It kills me that no one would have a problem with somebody posting to ask for relationship advice, or "should I get this mole checked by my doctor or not?" But don't post the name of one of the most popular and populated lakes in all of Ontario because someone might show up?

Jesus, I've got to find something else to do.

Jim

I think I have mentioned this in a previous post but..........

I can't recall the last time I caught a single Crappie while fishing the Kawarthas!!

Meely :whistling:

Me neither Meely...I haven't caught a single crappie since I stopped fishing Rice Lake...oops.gif...Scratch that lake...sarcasm.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Maybe today is the day...will give it a try this afternoon after it warms up some more...Gonefishing.gif

Edited by Beans