Neat looking fish

blaque

They are pike dead bait in Europe!

Ya, they seem ideal under a big ole' drennan piker float. This guy however, and its hard to tell, was a good handful in size. Actually most of them were. Maybe a bit big for bait, although, bigger the bait...bigger the fish

• 1 month later...

I agree, rudd it is. Illegal to use as bait also, whether it be live or in chunks. The golden shiner on the other hand is a very popular bait and only slightly resembles the rudd.

The rudd also has a distinctly larger eye than the golden shiner, and they're more silvery in the body as opposed to the overall golden colour that this photo displays. Both fish have reddish fins. The rudd has a shorter anal fin, whereas the shiner's anal fin is broader and extends further along toward the tail, as above. Shiners can get to be quite big, it's not uncommon to find one in the 6 inch range. So I still say it's a shiner.

Where was this taken? Shiners are definitely native to the Thames and its tribs, they are not invasives.

Edited by jigsnreels

The rudd also has a distinctly larger eye than the golden shiner, and they're more silvery in the body as opposed to the overall golden colour that this photo displays. Both fish have reddish fins. The rudd has a shorter anal fin, whereas the shiner's anal fin is broader and extends further along toward the tail, as above. Shiners can get to be quite big, it's not uncommon to find one in the 6 inch range. So I still say it's a shiner.

Where was this taken? Shiners are definitely native to the Thames and its tribs, they are not invasives.

This was caught on a South shore Lake Ont. tributary. 18 Mile to be exact

Rudd....definately kill them and report to the NYSDEC. I'm sure they are aware, but if you were catching lots of them that's not really a good sign unsure.gif

I've also seen confirmations of Rudd catches from the lower Niagara River.

Rudd....definately kill them and report to the NYSDEC. I'm sure they are aware, but if you were catching lots of them that's not really a good sign unsure.gif

Of course, if they are shiners, I think the NYSDEC folks will get a bit aggravated if they start getting tons of reports about species that have every right to be in 18 Mile. rofl2.gif