2006 1800 Lund Alaskan

RangerGuy

I think Bay City Marine is an excellent dealer and service center. They know their stuff and have always been very fair with me. I was very impressed when I asked them to check out a concern I had about the motor. They trailered it to the Grand River, water tested it and checked it over in the shop - and only charged me $75 plus my spring tune-up fees for their troubles as they found nothing wrong with it, (and they were correct).

That is an awesome boat btw!!

Make sure you get the extended 5 year warranty on the Merc, (or any motor). I have the same motor and really like it but the ignition coils blew and killed my mother board while under warranty. Saved me $3000!

My next motor will be a yamaha 4 stroke or a suzuki 4 stroke (which I have owned already) as you will get waaay more hours out of those models than an opti according to the guys at Bay City.

But the opti is quiet, starts in all weather easily and runs fast and is cheap to run, even with the recommended opti oil. Buy the optimax oil in bulk!!

Good luck!

Landry

I ordered some parts for my yammy, wasn't impressed with Bay City's service...

Parts will be here in 2 days guy tells me when i ordered the parts...

3days later i call and ask if the parts are in, they tell me tomorrow (2 extra days)

I call the next day, it's still not in...(3 extra days)

I asked them when they would be in, he tells me when UPS delivers them...

wasn't impressed... It ended up coming 5 business days longer then i was originally told

Everyone has their favourite dealer for various reasons. Clarence, Bay City, couldn't even be bothered to quote my boat, nor could DT power sports or Gordon Marine. Bad business sense as far as I'm concerned... someone that wants a custom order.. paid in full.. and not a boat sitting in the showroom on 3rd party financing praying for a buyer. Makes me :wallbash:

Edited by irishfield

Everyone has their favourite dealer for various reasons. Clarence, Bay City, couldn't even be bothered to quote my boat, nor could DT power sports or Gordon Marine. Bad business sense as far as I'm concerned... someone that wants a custom order.. paid in full.. and not a boat sitting in the showroom on 3rd party financing praying for a buyer. Makes me :wallbash:

Thats odd. When i said i was paying in full, cash. Every dealer sat me down instantly. (dt, pc..etc) Bay City was the cheapest/most honest so i went with them. (I was also 20 at the time, only one dealer ignored me, i guess he didnt think i was serious)

Edited by danbob

Thats odd. When i said i was paying in full, cash. Every dealer sat me down instantly. (dt, pc..etc) Bay City was the cheapest/most honest so i went with them. (I was also 20 at the time, only one dealer ignored me, i guess he didnt think i was serious)

Well 3 didn't take me seriously.. cost them 20% mark up on a 80K + tax boat! :(

But it would take you 7 days to drive to those 3 other dealers up there. :tease:

NAH, we actually have several dealers in town. :)

I will be buying my new motor in Grande Prarie AB though because they charge way too much here for them. I'm buying a 115 and 9.9 plus new controls and Smartcraft guages and I can get everything there for the cost of the 115 up here!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well, pulled the trigger YEHAA!!

I ended up dealing with Hastings Marine. They aren't the cheapest but they are

in the ball park and seem to want to work with me. I'm more concerned with

service quality and after sale support than price if they are reasonable

compared to other quotes.

I did collect a bunch of quotes last year but we decided to wait until this year.

So I only talked to the shops that gave the best from price last year this year. So far other

than shops in the US only 1 replied and when I request another with specific options

and an apology for not being more specific on the previous request eveb they didn't reply.

Hastings is the only place that gave me a few quotes, so they get the sale :)

This is what we got coming.

2012 Lund 1800 Alaskan in the Fall Marsh color

-I cancelled the wetlands option while it looks awesome I don't feel it's worth $1400

2012 Yamaha 4-Stroke Tiller

Yamaha Tachometer

Snap on cockpit cover

Extra Seat,Post & base

4- Pro Track Brackets. ( I'm hoping to make more myself out of aluminum some how LOL! )

Shorelander Trailer with loading guides and spare tire.

I'm nervous going with the yamaha 4 stroke. I'm not sure what the performance is going to be like.

I'm coming from a 89 60HP Johnson on a 17' Ranger Tiller that did 37mph with 2 people most of the time.

I know I won't miss the noise or smoke LOL! but if it's a pig getting on plane I know I won't be happy,

I don't expect to do 40MPH but mid to high 30's would be nice.

Super excited to run a new boat! I've read some threads where guys can pole these in 6 inches of water that's

awesome for duck hunting.

I'm sure were gonna get a lot of birds this year. Now I got big water and skinny water covered for ducks as I have

a Momarsh Fatboy DP with a 7HP stump jumper mud motor in the fleet as well.

Now to start researching electronics.

Thank you everybody for the input!!!!

Great rig! I'm not sure what the deal is with the other dealers that won't give quotes. My buddy was treated the same way, and also is going with hastings. They're tough to beat.

i agree on teh wetlands camo. There really is no need. Its more for the hunters than the ducks! Looks cool though... lol

You didn't say what size motor you got? I'm assuming a 90?? I'm sure it will get you up on plane no problem, and you'll love it to death!

You got yourself a great duck machine. Where abouts do you hunt? I'm not looking for your favourite spot or anything, just general area of Ontario. I'm also a hardcore waterfowler, if its duck season, my fishing gear collects dust! I travel all over from the Kawartha's, quinte, lake ontario and down to St. Clair a few times a season for cans/reds. I'm out from opener, till the last day, twice a week! Its my true passion, more so than fishing!!

I think you did well, and got a very versitile rig. She will handle big water no problem, and like you said, skinny water as well. I'm a tad jealous!! Good luck on the electronics search!

S.

I'm totally pumped!

It's maxed out at 75hp for a tiller and yamaha lists a lighter wieght than the optimax for 75hp.. I'll never understand why they lower the ratings for tillers when most engines in this class wieght the same.

Well the area's I hunt just opened way up :)... Also, I can now take both my retrievers with me when in the big boat.

Sinker if you want to see a cool rig go to YouTube and search for TeamClaimer (it's an inside joke LOL!)

That's me getting used to the Mud Motor and Momarsh. She's pretty cool.

Edited by RangerGuy

Yep, the momarsh boats are awesome! I'm interested in the marsh rat. I've hunted out of one, and they are pretty slick! They're not as good as our layout boat in open water, but in the marsh they are killer!!

The nice thing is you can get them close to where you want to go across the gunnels of the tender boat, then paddle from there. They are also good for retrieving birds in hard to get at spots!

Good stuff man!

S.

Congrats on the new rig RG, she sounds like a real beaut.

I also bought my boat from Hastings and they are indeed some good folks to deal with.

Don't worry about that 4 stroke Yammie, your gonna be more than impressed with it.

I'm totally pumped!

It's maxed out at 75hp for a tiller and yamaha lists a lighter wieght than the optimax for 75hp.. I'll never understand why they lower the ratings for tillers when most engines in this class wieght the same.

Very nice. :thumbsup_anim:

I figured the weight difference had to do with the driver sitting at the console, countering the extra weight???? :dunno: