2006 1800 Lund Alaskan

RangerGuy

Ok I finally found a used 1800 Lund Alaskan that's not sold already.

I need some help making an informed descision. This is the forum

I know I can get honest opinions.

Seller has agreed to sell it for 17,500 was asking 18,600.

This seems way high for a 6 year old boat. I mean last year

I got a quote for a 2011 1800 Alaskan tiller/75 optimax for 18,300 + tax with

trailer and mooring cover.

Am I being un-reasonable expecting them to come down some more? I've included the

pictures below. There is one of the keel I believe is a crack but my contact is

saying it's not a crack.

This boat is a 12 hour drive from me so I need to be as sure as possible before

commiting.

2006 Lund 18 Alaskan SS in Wetlands camo finish

Yamaha 90 4 stroke (Like new Approx. 40 hours on motor)

Karavan bunk trailer

spare tire

trailer load guides

VHF radio

Minnkota 55# maxxum trolling motor

3 camo seats

bimini top

boarding ladder

transom saver

lund mooring cover

compass

Lowrance 332C color locator/GPS on dash

Lowrance X50 0n bow

pic%20(12).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(1).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(2).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(10).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(5).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(4).jpg?psid=1

pic%20(7).jpg?psid=1

Edited by RangerGuy

Keep looking. I found this one within 30 seconds on the net. It is 5 years newer, never been driven and is only 2 grand more expensive. If you take your time you can find the right boat at the right price.

http://www.boatdealers.ca/newboats/fishingboats/aluminumfishingboats/lund/1800alaskanss/147898/lund-1800alaskanss-new-boat-for-sale.aspx

well here is the other thing that sweet used lund already has all the extra goodies,if you were to buy all those exras for your new boat its 3,000 anyways !!! and its a yamaha 90hp !!!! dont forget to factor in what you are going to add into that new boat and see how much it will cost !!!! that used lund looks like a good deal too me !!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping::Gonefishing:

Alaskans are a fine boat but this one is way overpriced IMHO. Two years ago I had a quote for a new 20' wheel Alaskan with a 115 four stroke for $25K. Eight years ago I sold my 8 year old 18' Alaskan wheel boat with 50HP Honda four stroke for $8K. I wouldn't think that boat is worth more than $13K, at least in the US. I'd buy the new one you had quoted.

Thank you everyone for the input... I don't care for the trolling motor or bow depthfinder so those will need to be replaced anyways.

I haven't had much to post the last couple of years but I know I can always come here for good/interesting opinions on things like this.

I calling today and tell him I need a better price.

Edited by RangerGuy

Can't wrap my head around the cost of boats.....

Youve taken the words RIGHT out of my mouth.......Ive been kickin the idea of a new boat around for a long while, and just cant justify it.

The old saying "whatever the market will bear" seems to shine in the case of fishing boats.

Youve taken the words RIGHT out of my mouth.......Ive been kickin the idea of a new boat around for a long while, and just cant justify it.

The old saying "whatever the market will bear" seems to shine in the case of fishing boats.

There's a reason I hang on to my 20 year old Fisher. ;)

When I bought it in 1991 it cost me $20K back then!!!!

Replacement today would be twice that!!!

2013 I plan to repower the old girl. Out with the 22 year old 2 stoke 90hp and in with a 2013 4 stroke 115hp and a new 9.9 kicker!!! :clapping: :clapping:

2013 I plan to repower the old girl. Out with the 22 year old 2 stoke 90hp and in with a 2013 4 stroke 115hp and a new 9.9 kicker!!! :clapping: :clapping:

Its still hard to believe 1991 was 20 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Your math also puts a little spark under me to think more along the lines of,...."go get a boat now as the longer i wait the more pooched im gonna be".

Sounds like the boat is on consignment at the dealers...More people wanting a piece of the pie likely keeping the price a bit high.

However....the dealer likely knows what he will be able to command for a price.....especially in the spring.

Good luck with your search

Cheers

Craig

I find it kind of funny at times that people expect things to devalue to the amount they are willing to pay. Don't like the asking price and can't get satisfaction with a bargaining session, c'est la vie. I remember some prospective buyers(not OFNers) moaning about the price of a piece of equipment (ARGO) I had for sale, the right guy came along and paid very close to the asking price, others lost out on a very reasonable deal. Again, c'est la vie.

Came across the receipt for my old 1982 18 foot centre console Sylvan the other day, talk about sticker shock :blink:

18' Sylvan Rodmaster.... .........................$4995

with windshield , grab rail........................$125

85 Johnson Tnt....................................$2800

EZ Load trailer 2000 lb...........................$1200

..................................................$9120

sales tax.........................................$638.40

labour.............................................$50

..................................................$9808.40

One thing that is a deal today is electronics, for what I paid for that old Lowrance 1510 paper graph back then , pretty sure would get you a Lowrance hds-7 today :o

the motor was a deal, it was an old stock 1980 85 hp, got it for the same price as a current model 70 hp, always glad I went with the v4 instead of the 3 banger.

Drifter, make sure your hull is going to handle that weight on the transom. I know I wouldn't have wanted any more weight back there on my older hull than the V4 that was 310 lbs in the tilt and trim version and a 9.9 kicker, OMC went all the way up to 140hp on that block and weight back then. Hulls weren't designed around 115's that outweighed my main motor and kicker combined.

Edited by dave524

It will be fine. It's an extremely well made boat and it is rated for 125 or 130.

It has several braces tying the transom to the spashwell and the floor of the boat.

The 9.9 ends up being carried by the side of the boat more so than the transom.

Here's a transom shot of the old girl. ;)

You can see the two spashwell braces and the bolts where they attach to the transom.

There are matching braces underneath the splashwell that attach to the floor striners/bracing.

Boat3.jpg

Oh yeah, I have my original bill of sale in with the other documents that came with the boat. :)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Can't wrap my head around the cost of boats..... How does 5k of material turn into a 25k on the dealer floor. Oh ya and a 10k motor??? what the hell....

I can't agree more......got free tickets to our boat show a few weeks ago and took the wife just to kill some time on a cold day.....to replace my boat, motor and trailer (nothing else) it would cost me between 20-22K....for something I paid a even 7K for....and I seen my marine dealer guy there and he asked me when I am upgrading to a new boat....I told him, Fran, at these prices never.... :whistling:

$22,000.00 plus 8.75% sales tax adds up to $23,925.00.....that's a LOT of scratch in my mind.....MAYBE if I lived south ON a lake and could use it almost daily I could justify spending more on a boat then I did on my wifes car... :)

I can't agree more......got free tickets to our boat show a few weeks ago and took the wife just to kill some time on a cold day.....to replace my boat, motor and trailer (nothing else) it would cost me between 20-22K....for something I paid a even 7K for....and I seen my marine dealer guy there and he asked me when I am upgrading to a new boat....I told him, Fran, at these prices never.... :whistling:

$22,000.00 plus 8.75% sales tax adds up to $23,925.00.....that's a LOT of scratch in my mind.....MAYBE if I lived south ON a lake and could use it almost daily I could justify spending more on a boat then I did on my wifes car... :)

Your wife doesn't drive a Tundra?? :dunno::rofl2:

My boat suits me fine. Its ugly, well used and abused, runs like a top, and doesn't leak a drop. Good enough for me!

S.

Well, after a few days of requesting quotes.. this might not be such a bad deal. LOL!

I'm calling a dealer that gave me quote of 18,000 last year. We'll see what he says.

After doing some more math a new one (current pricings) would be about 9 grand more after tax before Trolling motors,

depth finder & batteris OUCH! HEHE!

Yet another update! Last one until I put the money down haha!

Looks like I've been talking to the wrong dealers. Spoke to Bay City Marine in Hamilton and he

made me an offer I'm 98% I'm gonna take it.

2012 Lund 1800 Alaskan Tiller (Fall Marsh Color)

75 OptiMax with Big Tiller

1 Extra Seat

Trailer with load bunks & spare

Mooring Cover

19,400 before tax

Lots of money for an aluminum boat, I can't get over the cost of these boats

I never figured a general purpose Fishing/Hunting boat could be so expensive.

Boy, do I have sellers remorse selling my old ranger tiller HAHAHA! Thought it wasn't worth

repowering a 20 yr old hull.. THAT WAS A MISTAKE!

Thank you everybody again for the opinions and suggestions

Edited by RangerGuy

Have you talked to the guys at Hastings Marine? Make sure you do before you pull the trigger. I would call them with your quote from Bay City, and see if they can do better. I bet they can. A buddy of mine is in the market for a new lund as well, and after searching around, he found his best price at Hastings. I know plenty of people with nothing but good things to say about them, and they always seem to have a screaming deal on Lunds, and Yammy outboards.

Does that quote above include any electronics? By the time you add those up, your around $3 grand minimum....for anything decent anyways.

I thought the original boat you posted was a fair price to be honest. I wish I had the cake to spend on a boat right now, because that is what I'd be looking for, only in a tiller. Your better off to get everything in one package, and pay for it monthly, than you are to purchase your electronics your self, and install them. At least if it all comes factory rigged, you get the warranty with it as well.

Good luck on your search, and let us know how ya make out!

S.