Ganaraska fishway

chessy

Nothing gets by the gauntlet of rubes camped out down there fishing out of season.

(that was sarcasm ;) )

There are no official numbers, but I've heard the run of steelhead has been estimated to be 15,000 plus.

Thanks Solo..Do you have any links that would share your thoughts? Im like a sponge wanting to read and learn on my loacl trout waterways..Of course the MNR site has very little that I could find.

Not trying to stir the pot...just offering my opinion on the topic. IMHO river fishermen outnumber charter fishermen by a country mile. When I used to fish chrome more then I do now...6 hens killed a year for roe... was a very conservative estimate. I think the damage to the fishery is far greater by the river guys...I don't even think the charter guys come close.

Having said that I have to agree with Craig. Dead is dead it doesn't matter where or when the fish met it's maker.

I hope the numbers coming over the dam are as good as is being reported. It bodes well for everyone who enjoys the fishery.

I remember back in the day, the counter would be turned on at the beginning of April. Is it on year round now?

A friend of mine left me a message on FB saying the counter is at 3021 fish as of today. Normally I would expect that number around the 2nd or 3rd week of April!

No it's just turned on in the spring. So the run estimates are including the fish that jump the ladder before the counter is turned on.

Rich.

we don't know how they get there estamate it is a secret . our counter goes in at ice out yes we miss some fish. how many who knows. but not over 4000 that is for sure .

CPH, there's no way the river guys kill more fish than the lake/charter guys. The problem I have with the charters is that they still think that all their customers want to keep all their fish (old school mind set i guess) Most places there are hatchery fish stocked for the taking and the wild fish are VERY protected! Why the hell can't we inforce the same theory on Lake Ontario?

Joseph

We will have to see if the Ganny run actually is larger this year, or if we're just seeing all the fish come in at once thanks to the sudden arrival of very warm temperatures. Remember, the last two weeks have been MUCH warmer than normal. Is it really more fish, or is it just all the fish showed up at once? Normally, they trickle in over a span of several weeks. We will only know the answer after they've come and gone.

Given that opening day is still 40 days away (five weeks and change), most will indeed be long gone by the time the fourth Saturday in April rolls around.

Totally agree with both statements. It's the same everywhere there are steelhead on Lake Ontario right now. They all just suddenly showed up and are assaulting the dams en masse. I think by the end of next week, most of them will be up & the per-day count will be down to a few dozen.

Also, it's such an early run that most of these fish - feast your eyes on them now because you won't be feasting on the fish later - will be long gone by April 28th. This will at least keep most of them out of the smoking baskets of opening day frenzy - which is good! (as long as we don't get a scorching, dry summer... :( )

See how dark already?

IMG_1124b.jpg

Go 'bows!

p.-

Most places there are hatchery fish stocked for the taking and the wild fish are VERY protected! Why the hell can't we inforce the same theory on Lake Ontario?

Selective harvest is the key, regardless if it's out in the lake or in the rivers.. Keep those stockers, that's EXACTLY what they are for.... table fare.

Couldn't agree more. When I was on Vancouver Island a few weeks ago I fished out of Victoria one afternoon. There, you can only keep hatchery coho (which have the adipose fin clipped) - all wild (unclipped) ones have to go back, no exceptions. This has been the policy for several years now, and as a result wild coho numbers are improving every year. It used to be you caught about 50-50 hatchery to wild fish. Now, it's more like 10 percent hatchery, even though they still stock the same number of fish. It's really helped the wild ones to rebound.

If we could get MNR to strip some wild fish at the ladder, stock them in places like the Humber or Don, that don't have much (if any) reproduction, then let people go at them, it would take a LOT of pressure off the wild fish we're all trying to protect. Why they refuse to do it is beyond me.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Guys , hatchery fish are not always clipped! To identify a hatchery fish look for wonky soft dorsal fins and shorter rounder pectoral and anal fins, they get like this from over capacity in the tanks. Wild fish will most likely have very pronounced long opaque pec fins and a big stiff dorsal fin and in a lot of cases will have a warn out tail on the bottom from previous mating rituals.

We spend thousands of volunteer hours each year to raise these hatchery fish to create more fishing opportunities at the same time it takes a lot of pressure away from the wild spawners.

Joseph

Guys , hatchery fish are not always clipped! To identify a hatchery fish look for wonky soft dorsal fins and shorter rounder pectoral and anal fins, they get like this from over capacity in the tanks. Wild fish will most likely have very pronounced long opaque pec fins and a big stiff dorsal fin and in a lot of cases will have a warn out tail on the bottom from previous mating rituals.

We spend thousands of volunteer hours each year to raise these hatchery fish to create more fishing opportunities at the same time it takes a lot of pressure away from the wild spawners.

Joseph

Great info!.

Why is there a 2 fish limit in the rivers and 5 in the lake?

Could the answer boil down to money?

The amount of harvested fish in the river is nothing compared to the massacre that is taking place on the lake. Why is that? the only explanation that I can think of is "Money talk"..if it makes money, it is allowed. It's Disgusting, isn't it?

Hey one of the biggest groups against the 2 fish limit is the OFAH even there club members are all for the 2 fish limit but head office is against it.... if you want a 2 fish limit and you are a member you best be calling them and telling them the ofah does not speak for you !!!!

Seems like ofah is against lowering limits everywhere.

I do agree there should be an urban fishery created in places that have little or no natural reproduction at all. I don't agree with the Humber being on of those places, it's a big river with a ton of potential now the don on ther hand is a perfect choice.

Rich.

Seems like ofah is against lowering limits everywhere.

I do agree there should be an urban fishery created in places that have little or no natural reproduction at all. I don't agree with the Humber being on of those places, it's a big river with a ton of potential now the don on ther hand is a perfect choice.

Rich.

I totally agree about the Don. It's come a long way in the last 15 years. For the stewardship program that's already in place, there could be no better or more timely ally than a bunch of fishermen who want nothing more than to see it get better - now. It would also give them unprecendted economical influence.

p.-

I can't see why OFAH would be against the 2 fish idea. If you want to take fish home then take home the "put and Take fish" like coho's and chinooks that are stocked and leave the wild ones alone to establish themselves :thumbsup_anim:

Joseph

chinooks in the ganaraka river are natural reproduced... the estimate is over 80 % .. we will find out in the fall whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

How do they taste? The ones from lake Ontario that you fill your (hopefully small) freezer with? :sarcasm:

My neighbours don't seen to mind those fat little hen browns I keep once a year from a certain southern shore Lake O trib. I myself don't eat fish.

Oldman really enjoys the little shakers I get for him from Lake E as well.

My freezer is only filled with roe, nothing else :)

Edited by BillM