Ganaraska fishway

chessy

first time ever 1000 fish have made it through the counter in one day ... <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Edited by chessy

first time ever 1000 fish have made it through the counter in one day ... <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnFL3v5uD8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Thanks chessy,that could only be taken as great news!!!:good:

Its nice to see what looks to be a bumper year, we will see what the numbers are when its over, I would assume in 1989 when 18,900 fish went over the ladder, we had that number over the ladder in one day, the MNR stated in 2010 or 2011 that 9058 fish went over the ladder, which im sceptical on, and im thinking that is the reason that they do not want to sample this year, as in there minds they are assuming the runs are increasing based on that one good year, Chessy can you confirm that number as you are the next generation of volunteers thats workin the ladder, and im sure would no the actual number if its correct or not, as the GRAC does not give any recent actual number counts over Corbetts

liverelease . well in my opinion the 2010 count of 9058 is absolute crap. we had aprox 4900 fish through the counter and a percentage of them we can not count so lets say 10 percent are smaller than 14 inches or 16 . They use air temperature to get there data and they say lots went over before we got counter in ... i say bull crap i have been at the ladder since i was 10 i am not 43 i can never remember a day of 1000 fish, can you remember the year that 1000 went over in a single day thanks

as of april 27 i have 4691 fish over in 2010 i do not know where they get 6300+ there numbers are complete lies

I wouldn't say the numbers are complete lies, but they are estimates. And, not necessarily accurate ones in my humble opinion.

As someone who fished the Ganny a lot during the glory years, I can tell you the number of fish in the river right now is still not even close to what you would see in the years when they had 15,000+ through the ladder. There's just no comparison at all. The steelhead run there is still just a shadow of what it once was ..... sad, really.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

What IS sad is the amount of fish that are killed in the spring , and everyone wonders why there's not as many fish?

Joseph

Don't want to open a can of worms here, but the biggest issue is the multiple limits of 5 fish that the charter guys keep in the summer on a regular basis.

The short sightedness of our MNR never ceases to amaze me.

You are of course correct as well Joe. Angler harvest in the rivers no matter the time of year (the equation remains the same whether it's spring,fall or winter) is definitely a concern.

Personally I see more catch and release happening on the river than ever before so things are improving, albeit with the speed of a glacier.

Best numbers of fish that ive seen the fall of 97, spring of 98 season.

But yes a reduction of limits has to happen, especially in the big lake. Five fish x six guys equates to a lot fish daily that are being taken from the charter boats, ive seen it way to many times when I lived in Mississauga.

Rich.

Edited by Richard S.

Very true Mike , I just didn't want to russle too many feathers here as there are members of this board that charter out that way. Ricky the worst part is that 5 fish x 6 guests = 30 dead steelhead (mostly wild) that will most likely end up in someones freezer and then in the garbage. :wallbash:

Joseph

I like the two per person limit with a slot size added.Maybe there would be a few fish for everyone.Who needs six in one day?.It's nice but as you said most get freezer burn and thrown out anyways.JMO.Heck,let me catch one and I'll be very happy.lol.

Edited by davey buoy

Don't want to open a can of worms here, but the biggest issue is the multiple limits of 5 fish that the charter guys keep in the summer on a regular basis.

Lol The finger pointing begins...

I wonder how many pounds of roe you or all the other C&R river fisherman have in their freezers Solo?

Just think all those dead potential baby brown trout, cohos, chinooks, or steelheads...

:jerry:

There was strong support for a 2 fish Lake limit, ironically with all the steelheaders there are and how passionate they are about their sport, when the question went to public about support for the decreased limit, there was barely 100 people who responded, out of those only 4 were against the decreased limit, that was told to me by the gentlemen who overseas the FMZ 20, and was brought forth at our FMZ 17 meeting, he was suprised by the lack of public response as I was, with the provincial election that took place, during the time when the 2 fish proposed limit was brought forth, it got shoved back in the pile, in favour of electing a premier, again that was conveyed to me by MNR personelle, or it could have possibly been in the regs for 2012, so as it stands 2013 is the earliest it could possibly happen, and it might have to go to the public for imput again, and all proposals have to be in by a certain timeline, so they pass through the lines of command, until its rubber stamped and approved as law and added into the regs.

Chessy would you keep giving us totals through the fishway, as its very interesting for us all, and for us steelheaders that were there in the glory days of the mid 80s, and who fished the river before their was a ladder pre 74.

Lol The finger pointing begins...

I wonder how many pounds of roe you or all the other C&R river fisherman have in their freezers Solo?

Just think all those dead potential baby brown trout, cohos, chinooks, or steelheads...

:jerry:

Wow, I sure didn't expect this type of response, but okay I'll bite.

Truth be told I get a large portion of my roe at the fish cleaning stations in late August when the charter guys come in.

They just toss it in the trash.

I'll also admit to harvesting the odd female from south shore Erie trib's where it's an entirely put and take fishery.

Nice try though.

There's bad apples in every lot. By and large though river fishermen display a lot more concern for the fishery and for conservation in general. The average Joe Blow who books a corporate charter once a year for him and his coworkers and fills the coolers in the process is much more destructive.

Why is there a 2 fish limit in the rivers and 5 in the lake?

Could the answer boil down to money?

Anyhow, thanks for coming out.

Hey I have no problem with people keeping fish IF the fishery can sustain it and with the limits being the way they are now it cannot. We are lucky that we've had a bunch of cold/wet summers to help the little guys along or else we'd be F'ed.

Rich.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether the fish are kept out in the lake, or in the river .... in the spring, or in summer, fall or winter. A dead fish won't go on to spawn regardless of where or when it meets its maker.

A reduction in overall harvest levels simply has to happen. In my personal view, chopping the limit to three fish, so it's consistent with New York and thus easily enforceable, would be a good start.

We will have to see if the Ganny run actually is larger this year, or if we're just seeing all the fish come in at once thanks to the sudden arrival of very warm temperatures. Remember, the last two weeks have been MUCH warmer than normal. Is it really more fish, or is it just all the fish showed up at once? Normally, they trickle in over a span of several weeks. We will only know the answer after they've come and gone.

Given that opening day is still 40 days away (five weeks and change), most will indeed be long gone by the time the fourth Saturday in April rolls around.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Is there any way of knowing what comes thru the Caledonia Dam on the Grand River? I find this information very informative!! Id like to know about my local tribs more

Nothing gets by the gauntlet of rubes camped out down there fishing out of season.

(that was sarcasm ;) )

There are no official numbers, but I've heard the run of steelhead has been estimated to be 15,000 plus.