Another Niagara ??????

misfish

The walk is not that bad if it is DRY. If it has been wet the walk can be dangerous. The steps are the very definition of bad workmanship. Great place to fish though, the current and highly oxygenated water really gives them steam. The place actually makes a mockery of the often stated opinion that New York State stockers are "weak".

The walk from the pool forces you to practice C&Rwhistling.gif

LOL I can tell ya some stories of watching guys hauling stringers up the hill. I,m no stranger of the pool. It was my old haunt many years ago like said.

Edited by Misfish

It’s not that bad...Going down I can do it in about 5-7 minutes...Going back up in around 8-10 minutes...And that’s with 35lbs worth of carp gear strapped to my back on the way up :w00t:

The walk is 10% physical but 90% mental...When you hit the last 1/3rd to 1/4 of the path on the way back up, go deep into your happy place and remember only 1 thing:

Pain is temporary, but quitting lasts forever :D

It’s not that bad...Going down I can do it in about 5-7 minutes...Going back up in around 8-10 minutes...And that’s with 35lbs worth of carp gear strapped to my back on the way up :w00t:

The walk is 10% physical but 90% mental...When you hit the last 1/3rd to 1/4 of the path on the way back up, go deep into your happy place and remember only 1 thing:

Pain is temporary, but quitting lasts forever :D

5 to 7mins lolz that insane lolz I probably do it in 10 mins going down no problem, but going up??? dont ask me lolz I think 30 to 45mins that was 2yrs ago :( did alot of stop and catching my breath and thanking God I didnt catch a thing... haha that would take me forever :( I havent been there since then hahahaha

5 to 7mins lolz that insane lolz I probably do it in 10 mins going down no problem, but going up??? dont ask me lolz I think 30 to 45mins that was 2yrs ago :( did alot of stop and catching my breath and thanking God I didnt catch a thing... haha that would take me forever :( I havent been there since then hahahaha

You must become one with the land. Use the terrain to your advantage. You must become a steelhead of the land - Find the path of least resistance!

When you’ve got 40+lbs of gear, food, water and bait strapped to your back on the way down, gravity and momentum play a huge role in making speed

teach us oh yoda of the whirlpool...we are your humble subjects :):ninja:

Training will commence when the carp start biting...It involves you carrying all the gear I would normally carry down (and back up) myself while I shout inspirational slogans at you to make you move faster :D

By doing so, I’ll train your mind to make your body achieve things you thought were impossible! :thumbsup_anim:

Training will commence when the carp start biting...It involves you carrying all the gear I would normally carry down (and back up) myself while I shout inspirational slogans at you to make you move faster :D

By doing so, I’ll train your mind to make your body achieve things you thought were impossible! :thumbsup_anim:

^ lmao!

When me and a few buddies go down to the whirlpool we are booking it too, and would say that 5-7 minutes is what we do it in too, but going back up is tougher. Last summer it was like 33 degrees {Celsius}and humid as a ..... well we will just use heck! and four of us had a hard time coming up the stairs, the higher we got the more humid it was, by the time we hit the top, well we may have got arrested if someone representing the law seen us one cloth away from birthday suits haha!

NEVER NEVER NEVER stop part of the way up. You won't start up again. When I go down I tend to fish the Glen area or the mouth of the Whirlpool itself. THATS a hike when it comes to returning up the hill. A little tip from Outward Bound. When going up simply place your foot in front of you and the concentrate on straightening your leg. Repeat with the next step. Concentrate on straitening your leg not on stepping up. It seems silly but it's the acknowledged way to trec without exhausing yourself. The stair steps that are actually intact at the top of the hill do require more of a step up but I believe there's only 124 of those :blink:

stairs lol me and two buddy's went and we went straight up and down the hill at some point we were holding onto skipping ropes tied to trees going down was crazy and we all could of easily broke bones but we caught ourselves on trees than when we climbed out we were all out of breath for ten minutes or so does anyone else know where i'm talking about?

Is the access to the whirlpool makeshift or just poorly maintained? Would love to venture down some day but don't like the idea of jeopardizing myself or anyone that fishes with me. Thanks! :)

The access is fine..

Many years ago I fished the whirlpool. I basically fished striaght off the shore slightly to the right of where the path leads to the area. I managed to get a snag. I would pull and feel whatever I was snagged on come toward me but never actually come free. It felt alot like getting stuck on a branch and the branch would stretch toward me and once the pressure was released the branch would settle back to where it was. After doing this a few times, I finally pulled with enough strength to beither pull the lure free or break the line. (8 pound)

To my relief I pulled the lure free and reeled in. I noticed something hanging from a treble and on closer inspection it appeared to be flesh. It smelled horrible, like rotten meat, and thought perhaps a dead fish had been what I hooked onto.

I fished for another hour, catching nothing, and made the arduous walk back up the hill. Let me tell you, even at 20 years of age my asthma was NOT liking that hike up. I took many breaks, especially the closer i made it to the top.

Now for the reason of telling of my snag....

The next day, on the news, they announced that a body had been found floating in the whirlpool that had obviously been in the water for quite a long time. To this day I believe that this was what I was snagged on and I helped loosen the body from its snag.

I have never gone back there-not because of the snag but the walk back up. I don't think I could make it up that hill now some 25 years later. Beautiful spot to fish however, very peaceful.