Major Truck Repair (NF) Is it worth it??

Oggie

Hi Guys: I inherited a 1998 F150 with only 100 000K on it. Unfortunately the exhaust is shot. Needs 2 new cats, muffler etc. :wallbash: Looking at $1000-1700 depending on who fixes it. :unsure: I hate to junk it at this milage but it's never been undercoated so it's extremely rusted. Good money after bad??? I think I know what I need to do but I'm open to suggestions.

:dunno:

Dan O.

Get used cats from the wreckers as they are probably the spendy part of your system and go from there I would say. Then drive it until it falls apart. ;)

I have 99 explorer with now 375,000 km,just passed imissions again and the cat was virtually rust free.Is his cats rotted from lack of use?.Mine is still original.

Can you get cats used at a wrecker??? Go to Rockauto.com Apparently thats the place to get parts that are great on the cheap. Magnaflow makes aftermarket cats that I hear are cheaper then the factory ones, but ive only heard that and cant confirm it. With that amount of kilometers Id be driving that for a little while longer man. Whereabouts are you located Oggie?

Who ever told you $1000-1700 for 2 cats and a exhaust is doing there best to rob you blind.

2 cats should be around $150-175 and a standard aluminized steel exhaust system with muffler around $300-400.

Do some homework online my friend.

Can you get cats used at a wrecker??? Go to Rockauto.com Apparently thats the place to get parts that are great on the cheap. Magnaflow makes aftermarket cats that I hear are cheaper then the factory ones, but ive only heard that and cant confirm it. With that amount of kilometers Id be driving that for a little while longer man. Whereabouts are you located Oggie?

I'm in Fergus. The bugger doesnt even need to pass the emissions test as i spend most ofmy time in the Near North. I will get more estimates. Canadian tire was a $1000.

Too bad it wasn`t a Chevy....My `98 came with stainless and is still mint today ,with 404,000kms and passed e-test in june.......But as its a Ford ,I`d dump it..just sayin....TC and tight lines all.

Dem be fight,n words buddy.LOL

I had to replace the back half of my exhaust,finaly. It to was stainless CHUCK.LOL

Like said,someones trying to rake ya there. Look for a local independent shop.Talk cash money.

Suprised nobody else had mentioned this yet. A cat will more than likely burn out because the engine is not running properly. If you do get a new one, chances are it will burn out again in a few months if the engine is not running properly.

What I would do if I was you is have it inspected underneath. If it looks good, then I would do a tune up on the engine and then get the new cats put in. I learned this the hard way with the wifes car all due to one of the cylinders misfiring and ruining a new cat after only 3-4 months of very low KM driving. New set of plugs and wires fixed the issue.

Try this place for a quote:

Zoro Muffler

130 Centennial Pkwy N, HAMILTON, ON L8E 1H9

905-561-6833

They were the cheapest around when I needed an exhaust for my 4Runner.

If your in the GTA go to JPG Exhaust in Oakville and have them quote if not I would fix it if the rest is sound that kind of mileage is low not even a teenager yet

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

I looked it up quickly in the catalog and direct fit cats from maremont left side 449 right side 660 for cats and walker were 556 each, direct fit muffler ranged from 118-185 mide pipe 140ish tail pipe 40, it can add up quickly.

universal cats were 150 each but not much good if the pipes are rotted where it attaches, can always try a muffler shoop like thruway or noyzboyz may be able to custom bend one up for a much more reasonable price

I looked it up quickly in the catalog and direct fit cats from maremont left side 449 right side 660 for cats and walker were 556 each, direct fit muffler ranged from 118-185 mide pipe 140ish tail pipe 40, it can add up quickly.

universal cats were 150 each but not much good if the pipes are rotted where it attaches, can always try a muffler shoop like thruway or noyzboyz may be able to custom bend one up for a much more reasonable price

Throw some O2 sensors into the mix as well and exhaust work and parts can add up quickly. Fish4Eyes also makes a good point. If there is some issues with the engine like a bad coil on a cylinder or pre-converter O2 sensors, your new converters won't last long.

Thanks guys. And the big problem still exists which is the fact that it was never undercar oiled or sprayed in anyway. The side quarter panels are starting to perforate. Wonder why the Ford Dealership wouldn't tell the old fellow that owned it to get it sprayed? It's going to be scrapped with only 100 000k on it! The underside is mush!

Dan O.

BillM: If Ford is anything like VW the wrong cat or 02 sensor will trigger the check engine light to come on.

I agree you gotta get the proper cat for your application, but there's a lot of options other then the dealer to get it :) Shouldn't cost that much.