desperate for a fish fry (coarse fish)

foggy

I am not having any luck with the crappie this year (yet) and the freezer is empty. i have gone my 35 years without ever eating a brown bullhead,carp,sheepshead,sucker or even a silver bass. should i give any of these a try (from the grand river), and if so what should i expect? thanks

I've eaten my far share of silver bass and channel cats from the St. Clair river and they're quite eatable. I've been told that if you soak sheephead fillets in brine over night, then boil them they are quite good.

Don't be too quick to pass over on those brown bullheads...They were a staple part of my diet during the summers of my youth...

I think they list them as "Mountain Trout" on the menus in some parts of the southern states...

A good soaking in heavily salted water (brine) overnite will get rid of any muddy taste...then rinse well...roll in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper and fry them up in hot lard....yummmm

Or do as I did and get the wife to pick up some battered haddock fillets at M & M Meats...

(on sale for $9.99 this week)...LOL

Bullheads are awesome filleted and fried just like perch. Give it a try. It could be one of the tastiest fish I've ever eaten.

Silver bass are comparable to crappie or other bass as well. Best eaten fresh though.

Well how come you don't see a bullhead in your neat little signature graffic thingy? eh? eh?... yeah, that's what I thought: 'Cause they are nasty...

to make a statement like that, you have obviously have never tried eating them. fyi, i know a bunch of people that prefer bullhead over trout. why not try it before telling people they taste bad? if you like other fish and have tried it and still dont like it, the fish was either raw, spoiled, or you cooked the guts instead of the flesh :rolleyes:

yet another misinformed fisherman i guess. ah well, more for me and the others that know how great they taste :thumbsup_anim:

Bullheads are delicious!!! Silver (White) Bass are a Temperate Bass and are better if the lateral line is filleted out when cleaning the fish, Sucker meat is white but boney... I've never tried one but would if given the chance. I will personally pass on the Sheepshead, tried it before and it was VERY stong tasting. I've never tried Carp but have heard some people rave about it, I think it's all in the way you prepare them.

a 2or 3 lb sheephead isnt too bad, keep em fresh, and deep fry it. i think it is very simialr to a bass. i cant say i have ever ate a bullhead, but channel cats and flat heads are great with a cajun batter.

jason