Anyone else getting stressed out

misfish

I make three piles; NOW, ASAP, and when/if I get a chance.

That's so true Cliff.

I have the same 3 piles. They have different names, but it's the same 3 piles. I call them Urgent, Important, and Urgent & Important. If something isn't important, consider not doing it. Ever.

Sometimes when I'm especially busy, only the Urgent & Important pile gets any attention.

And every once in a while I'll stop doing something, just to see if anybody notices or cares. Sometimes we think something is important, but it's not really.

One day I'd like to figure out how everything my wife wants done is always both Urgent & Important. wink.gif

Edited by whiskywizard

Thanks for the good feed back. I tried to use that 3 pile thing Cliff.Stood back and reacessed everything first thing this morning. It does work,at times.When you got 3 operators coming at you and saying they need this, and this is not working,it gets crazy.I was only there 10 hours today.LOL

I am working saturday,but sunday is a day off to think about this three pile format more. I am going to work hard at this 3 pile. I also need to walk away and not think this is only my problem.

Thanks again for listening to my vent and thanks again for your input.

Brian

I know it seems overwhelming, but remember, that most of our manufacturing has been sent to China. There are 20,000,000,000 Chinese, who are more than happy , to take every manufacturing job in N.A. The next time you try to by a fishing rod or reel, check to see where it's made. O.K. now i'm started. Sorry. I feel for you Bud, but you have to be greatful for what you have. I don't think that this will ever be the good old days.sad.gif

I know it seems overwhelming, but remember, that most of our manufacturing has been sent to China. There are 20,000,000,000 Chinese, who are more than happy , to take every manufacturing job in N.A.

Funny you say that,well not so funny as it is causing us to be way behind on a part. Waiting for a part that is on the sea .

This part could easly be made here. I do hear ya though.

Been there and done that many times my friend, it is part of who we are I think, we don't like to let anyone down and always try to give 110% in anything we do.

The most important thing is to find a balance that works for you. If you continue to push yourself too hard you are going to end up sick which won't help you or the company. The biggest thing that I have found that helped me get through some of those situations was to prioratize. I make three piles; NOW, ASAP, and when/if I get a chance.

Everything that comes in goes to the bottom of the appropriate pile. If you manage to get through the NOW pile, the ASAP file becomes the now pile etc. Always start at the top of a pile and finish dealing with each item as you come to it.

Three Piles you say...lol..sounds like a good system Cliff...but the LOL refers to a past experience of mine.

When I was working in our Mississauga Plant our very busy specialized department went from 5 people down to just 2 of us. It was far and away the most stressful work environment I have ever experienced in my life. Everyday as soon as you came in at 6:30...and sorted through the enormous pile of work orders..you knew a large portion of it had absolutely no chance of getting out the door in the promised time frame. It is absolutely no fun starting each day knowing that despite your very best efforts you are going to disappoint most of your customers. Then at around 9 the customer service reps started calling if they where offsite... or standing at your workstation demanding a revised timeframe so they could let the customer know. You spend a good chunk of your day dealing with THEM instead of doing your job. For a good 6 month stretch the phone ringing in our work area would actually give me a little panic attack. It was absolutely brutal.

We had a 2 pile system at the time.

Pile #1 was stuff that got escalated to that pile.

Pile#2 was stuff that didn't.

You never even looked at pile #2.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Brian...I know whats up, sometimes when you care about your job and other things the stress mounts iinside when you percieve your not able to do it all or make it better.

Its called caring too much, unfortunatly its a price that comes with caring and many of guys have the right idea by making yourself step back and let other people pick some slack up.

Its a good quality, be proud of that.

D

I'm involved in the printing ink industry and it is dead slow,plants moving to the states,existing manufactures with layoffs and a shortened work week. Where I used to be able to write my own cheque,now fumbling to get 4-5 days a week.I guess somewhere in the middle would be ideal.Hang in there it can only get better.

Know how ya feel DB I left the printing business last year after 24 yrs.So much has changed technology has taken over.

Books being printed in China not to mention you can down load books and read them on your iPad .

It sucks but the world is changing.

as for Brian something has to change where you work bud.

Try and leave work at work. That gets me by. Doesnt mean you dont care, just that you care when you're there. Not when you aren't.

My stress level can often be tied into the last time i got the boat on plane. Which shouldn't be long now...

I know it seems overwhelming, but remember, that most of our manufacturing has been sent to China. There are 20,000,000,000 Chinese, who are more than happy , to take every manufacturing job in N.A. The next time you try to by a fishing rod or reel, check to see where it's made. O.K. now i'm started. Sorry. I feel for you Bud, but you have to be greatful for what you have. I don't think that this will ever be the good old days.sad.gif

Sadly there are PhD's driving cabs in Canada that would take your job for little more than minimum wage. It's tough out there. Be great full that you have a job...you'll have to tough it out. I don't mean to sound like a goof, but there are plenty of guys out there that would take your job for less pay than what you or I would consider reasonable. Save and invest any overtime for your retirement!!!! Do take care of your health, and try to find a balance between work and recreation.

From the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.c...al-element-jobs

"Twenty years ago a typical manufacturing worker on the shop floor had a high school education. In 2012, in the new advanced manufacturing sector, it's an aerospace engineer with two masters degrees and an MBA, maybe from India"

Brian,

I don't think anyone that knows you would even think of questioning your work ethic. You seem like a guy that gives his all for the company, but they sure seem to be taking you for granted.

It is very poor management on their part to let a man like you work so many hours and get to feeling this way. If they can't do without you for the week-end, what on earth will they do when you end up sick and have to stay off work for a month or more? Think about it!

Remember, you live where you do because you enjoy the outdoors and those Grand Babies of yours. Work is good and we all need money, but it ain't the most important thing in your life.

I like to thank all that had input in this thread. I took a bit here and there from it, and applied it to this weeks work. Taking time to step back,and just breath was a big factor. Also a good talk with those involved here helpped alot.They too understand the stress level thats going on,as Im not the only one. I took one issue at a time and dealt with it,then take a breather,and go to the next issue. I have to say,it seemed to be the ticket for me this week,but I know next week will be more challanges,and will have to remember to step back and breath. Got the whole weekend off, and getting away.Me thinks the mrs,s and I deserve that,and need that.

Thanks again.

Brian

Always have enjoyed my job. More so working outpost in the north, but southern ER medicine is a great and often rewarding substitute. Can honestly say, just in the past few months alone, a string of fatal ailments has plagued patients while I've been working. Resuscitation attempts (for a hanging, a few MI's, a sepsis, couple OD's) returning life to some yet seeing some patients pass on as well, it has been a good feeling knowing that each time our team (and self) did all we could, and did it efficiently well.

That said, a few times in the past months working 60-76 hours a week has taken it's toll. Years back I once suffered 3 colds/flus in a year, this year let alone it's been 3 in the past 3 months. Day and night shifts all over the map and two hospitals I am no longer able to co-ordinate shifts with, I've decided to step back from one place and regain more control over hours worked, my time with the girls and of course, days on the water.

I too want to live by Wayne's signature.

I've been burning the candle a both ends for a few months now.

I took 6 hours yesterday to do nothing but watch a bunch of East Bound and Down. I admit, I feel alot better after that except for my gut that hurts from killing myself laughing. First time in months I took a breather with no work, no kids, no shows, no emails etc..

Have to make time again when I need it.