rod help

icceman

I have purchased two new spinning reels for the 2012 season. One being a new shimano stradic other a pfluger patriarch. My problem is what to put them on. Both rods must be a medium, .medium light action. Price cap is around 275 a shot. Never really owned a rod of that caliber not sure if it is worth the money. Currently the go to rods are a old fenwick walleye class, mojo bass my, and rap r-types. Probably use them as finese rods for walleye, and smallmouth. Your input would be gladly appreciated. Lastly are loomis rods that much better.

Thanx Steve

IMHO you can get a great rod from Cabela's or other places for under $100 each....then you can bank the extra money for VERY Expensive gasoline that you will be buying this year to go fishing.

Seriously, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a rod to catch a fish....I'm not saying buy a cheapo rod....but I have several Cabela's rods like these and I'm a finesse jig fishermen after walleyes......

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Rods/Spinning-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104836680/Cabelas-Fish-Eagle174-II-Spinning-Rods-150-08/738725.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fishing-rods-spinning-rods%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1102841%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104836680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%25253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104764680%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104764680%3Bcat104836680

You don't need to spend that much on a rod to get a great one. If you are going to get one for that money the Avid is a great one by St Croix. G.Loomis make awesome rods as well and you can get a rod that is really nice in that range.

The difference between St. Croix and G. Loomis is the warranty. G. Loomis has a great warranty and St. Croix is lacking more and more now.

Mike the The Legend Extreme Tournment which is the one I think you mean goes for over $300. It is a beauty rod though.

Edited by Live2fish85

You don't need to spend that much on a rod to get a great one. If you are going to get one for that money the Avid is a great one by St Croix. G.Loomis make awesome rods as well and you can get a rod that is really nice in that range.

The difference between St. Croix and G. Loomis is the warranty. G. Loomis has a great warranty and St. Croix is lacking more and more now.

Mike the The Legend Extreme Tournment which is the one I think you mean goes for over $300. It is a beauty rod though.

This one is dark blue... I believe the legend "extreme" is the more green / aqua color and more $$$ blank...

I think the levels for st croix go

Triumph

Mojo

Premier

Avid

Legend tournament

Legend extreme

What size are the reels and what model is the stradic?. I have a patriarch and it is very light. Still haven't found a good rod to balance it out. I am thinking of biting the bullet and getting a cumara to match with it....anything really light would work.

I have a stradic FI that I have matched to a loomis bronzeback that I love. I also have a sustain mtached to an avid that pairs up nicely.

All of these reels are the 1000 size.

Since you are looking high end, St croix legend tournament can be found for around $200 if you shop around they are excellent rods and look great. Would match up well with the patriarch.

Balance might be a challenge with your light reels but does it really matter when the combo weighs under 10 ounces?

G loomis imx are nice too but more $.

Edited by Spooled

I might as well just throw this out there.

Very shortly I'll have two custom built 7' Sage spinning rods for sale in the OFC classifieds, both rods are identical and are rated 6-12lb. Spiel is currently building them for me and they're absolutely gorgeous rods.

Definitely close to the price you mentioned.

I'll lay money none of you guys have felt a spinning rod this nice. :)

Wow.. I used to buy expensive rods 150-200$ range from G Loomis and St.Croix .... I quickly found out that the break just as fast as a 49.99$ unit.

I can no longer bring myself to spend that kind of $ on a rod..

I've found a happy medium with the Berkley Lightning Shock series.

Good Luck with your purchases.

R

:)

Wow.. I used to buy expensive rods 150-200$ range from G Loomis and St.Croix .... I quickly found out that the break just as fast as a 49.99$ unit.

I can no longer bring myself to spend that kind of $ on a rod..

I've found a happy medium with the Berkley Lightning Shock series.

Good Luck with your purchases.

R

:)

i find the more expensive st.croixs are the most brital... my brother and dad have each broke a st.croix legend tournament "slop and frog" rod... flipping walleye in the boat... this is one of the heaviest rods in their line up... but my premiers and avid can flip em no problem... same style rod... 7 foot heavy action...

I am a St Croix guy also and will likely purchase a new Avid ML, XF this month (likely at Fishing world during their upcoming sale). But I have also been looking at the Okuma C3 rods in ML XF for around the same money or slightly less even. The problem with the Okumas is where to find the bloody things in any numbers that you can hold a them in hand.

Like you I will also be purchasing a Pflueger as well.

Jim

I do like the idea of the st.croix legend tournament line. Would look good with the patriarch stuck to it. Also looked at the new gl2 series by loomis. Any real world experience with either? I thank you all for your responses and opinions.