Plugging holes from transducer

10point

I have a new fish finder on the way and will be removing the old transducer that will leave two small holes in the bottom of the boat. How can I plug these? Would JB weld work?

Alum. or Fiberglass ??

Mine was fiberglass cleaned the holes really good with alcohol wipes, bought the best silicone i could find filled the hole & the ran the screws back in. Lasted 10yrs sold the boat & I bet there still in there!

On my aluminum boat I drilled out the hole and put a tank to bowl toilet bolt in. The bolthead is outside then the rubber washer then boat then rubber washer then flat washer and finally the nut with a locking back up nut. No leaking in 12 years plus.

Art

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol, scuff lightly with some sand paper, fill the holes with 3M 5200 marine adhesive,

Install a transducer mounting board using the same adhesive and ss screws, mount new transducer on the board.

You will never have to worry about drilling or filling holes on your transom.

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol, scuff lightly with some sand paper, fill the holes with 3M 5200 marine adhesive,

Install a transducer mounting board using the same adhesive and ss screws, mount new transducer on the board.

You will never have to worry about drilling or filling holes on your transom.

X2 have done this and not a drop

Seems to me, you may want to stay away from metal screw/bolts that will will react in contact with alluminum.

What does this mean for aluminum?

Galvanic corrosion is the most common cause of

aluminum corrosion due to its inherent resistance to

more natural forms of corrosion and a lack of

preventative measures taken.

INFO LINK (PAGE 4): http://cmiengineer.com/whitepapers/aluminum_corrosion.pdf

Seems to me, you may want to stay away from metal screw/bolts that will will react in contact with alluminum.

You are correct however the part of the formula missing is a median for the metals electrons to migrate is for the most part missing. You need a fluid to allow the electrolysis to occur. The boat in question likely lives on a trailer and since aluminum oxidizes rapidly it has the desired ability to seal itself. The use of Zinc and or Magnesium are used extensively to stop electrolysis in boats that are left in the water. I have a 28ft aluminum boat with stainless steel and brass shafts and screws that lives in brackish water and with the use of a galvanic isolator and zinc's it has survived since 1985 till today with no damage.

Art

That’s why you should use marine grade adhesive with your ss hardware.

Almost every aluminum boat I have seen with a transom mounted transducer has some sort of metal (mostly stainless) fasteners.

There are over a dozen stainless screws and bolts in the transom of my boat including four 1/2" mounting bolts for the outboard, I see no sign of corrosion what so ever.

Not to mention everything else inside the boat, downriggers, electronics, trolling motor and various accessories are all mounted with ss fasteners.

Corrosion is more of a concern in salt water OR if there is a “voltage leak” to the metal hull.

An aluminum hull is usually grounded through the motor but it is not used as a ground back to the battery.

A boat hull should never be used to run ground to the battery, doing so is a recipe for corrosion regardless of salt or fresh water.

Another important thing is to always make sure the sacrificial anodes on your engine are in good clean condition. Clean or replace as necessary.

I just srcrewed a couple aluminum self tapping screws into the old holes. Doesn't leak a drop, and they've been in there for years now. No caulking or any type of sealant so far.

S.

They are leaking you just can't see it.

You may want to use a little cauking as the water being soaked up by your transom core is slowly rotting it away. :w00t:

Why not play it safe. If you decide to use ss bolts and washers, you might consider insulating the contact points with rubber, rubber tubing or perhaps first marine--epoxy insulate around the holes, both sides and inside, then drill through the eg epoxy as not to make contact with the alluminum. Run two ss bolts, washers and rubber washer so the rubber-only, is making contact with the hole area of hull. (Bolt side thread top: SS Washer--Rubber. Nut side: Rubber--SS Washer--SS Lock Nut.) Then it's a tough, water tight and no mis-matched metals would be making contact.