Need help picking a on Board battery charger?

coreyhkh

Hey guys I would like to get one of these this year but I am not sure what model I need Basspro sells a bunch, I am looking at the XPS line and they have 5 models. My boat has a 3 Batteries right now 2 for trolling 1 for starting/ fish finder.

Any help on what the best model for me would be welcome.

I bought the XPS at Bass Pro 5-5-5 2 years ago for the same set up & a buddy bought one last year, no problem yet, plug it in every time I go out & leave it plugged in all winter, just check the water level in the battery once a month, something will likely be on sail in March, keep your eyes open

Tight Lines SBK

I need one as well as mine bit it last year.

BPS has a ProMariner 20 PLus Gen2 3 bank charger on sale right now for 179, 50 bucks off regular.

I have no idea if there any good, hopefully someone here has somer expierence with them.

Theyt also have there XPS 4/4 8 amp 2 bank charger on sale for 104.97 . Thats 20 bucks off.

Any help would be appreciated guys, \Ill chec k out the one up for sale on the site as well.

If your charging deep cycle batteries you want a charger with a slower charge rate. Deep cycles are spose to be charged slow or you will kill the life of the battery. Starting batteries can be charged at a higher rate. I see many batteries killed every year because of this.

Check this one, see the weight.

http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/product/BPC21130261.html

Ballistic Performance 16 Cell EVO2 12V LiFePO4 Battery

Thanx for the link. That battery is awesome! Their ad states "no trickle charger needed, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use". What does "static use" mean? Can U recharge these batteries, cause after 5 years now you have used 50%. Can any one enlighten me?

If you depend on your motors charger to charge the cranking battery sooner or later you'll have a dead cranking battery. Get a 3 bank and be done with it. Unless you run long distances you need to charge you cranking battery.

My current boat has a MinnKota charger as that's what came with it from the dealer and sofar it's been good.

On another new boat I bought back in '99 I installed a Guest charger and that one has been flawless, even now after 13 years of service and another owner of the boat.

If I was to recommend a charger today, or if I was buying another one, it'd definetely be a Guest without question.

I've heard negatives about alot of different chargers on the market, but I've never heard a bad word about Guest.

I am also looking for a charger and i have a few questions of my own. My lund had 2 batteries in the back(starting, and another for downriggers,electronics and such) and another one up front for the trolling motor. Im not sure what kind of charger it has(assuming it does since i've never had a battery die) but I just got a 101lbs 36Vtrolling motor and i need to have 3 deep cycle batteries up front. Do i need a 3 or 4 bank charger?

Im also looking to pick up a basic Lowrance Mark 5X-DSI for the bow just for some muskie fishing. Any thoughts? Wire it to the back of the boat or is it okay with the front trolling batteries?

I have so many wires running through the boat now and its starting to get confusing.

Run the sonar to the cranking battery and use a battery switch between cranking and rigger.Use duel purpose for cranking riggers.

I have my boat wired this way.Every thing is wired to the main cranking with one charging bank.A rigger\kicker battery wired with a

battery switch.Then a ground wire between the two batteries which allows me to charge each battery with any engine I choose too use.

Then switching the switch to all allows the charger to charge both cranking.

Edited by Tybo

Thanks. I've been looking into the Stay n Charge system that charges your trolling batteries when running the outboard and also when you tow the boat. It has great reviews with a good price to boot.

This charging system do they charge 12 volt or do they come 24 or 36.If they don't do multi you would need on for each deep cycle.