A day down at Ontario Place

MichaelAngelo

My first report with a "catch" and with pictures for 2012.

I spent the afternoon today taking advantage of the warm weather. Got to Ontario Place around 2pm. Fished along the water in front of both parking lots trying to target pike.

I started with a big willow-blade spinner with a wire leader. Another guy was fishing there as well. I asked him for advice, he advised against the big spinnerbait and wire leader. I donwsized to a spoon tied on directly. I tried to cover the water as methodically as I could. Eventually switched to a noname silver sinking swimbait (that I pulled off of a salmon in the Fall hahaha) featured in the picture.

I didn't see any action unfortunately. So I'm dying to spend a day out there with somebody who knows what they're doing and is able to get reliable pike hits =D.

I did catch a crayfish, it has fish in the name at least =P. This little buddy was a nice surprise.

IMG_6852.jpg

Around 5pm I moved the car further east. I found some free parking around the island air port. From there I worked the Spadina Quay marina at the foot of Spadina avenue but no luck there either. I fished into the dark, till about 7pm. I started using a glow-in-the-dark spoon for a bit.

Anyway, I was glad to get a line wet. Anticipated pike is always exciting, just wish I could spend some time with a seasoned vet to show me how it's done.

Also my rod (I think it's 6ft) didn't help on the casting front... should I invest in a proper length 10ft. or 12 ft. rod? Would really help the action and casting i think.

Edited by MichaelAngelo

My friends and I usually run 10.5 foot rods whe fishing from shore...

They cast a mile...

And you can cast parallel to the shoreline and keep your bait 10 feet off the shore for the whole retrieve... It's like trolling the shoreline...

Also prevents getting snagged right at the shoreline because your lifting your bait 10 feet out...

Don't need a rod that long to cast just need a good rod and a better reel.

My friends and I usually run 10.5 foot rods whe fishing from shore...

They cast a mile...

And you can cast parallel to the shoreline and keep your bait 10 feet off the shore for the whole retrieve... It's like trolling the shoreline...

Also prevents getting snagged right at the shoreline because your lifting your bait 10 feet out...

Hmm, anyone else have thoughts about this?

advice: put the leader back on. Once you get it figured out and the fish start biting you will lose lures and pike may die without one.

Once I get the presentation figured out?

They are at Ontario Place.. :glare:

I dunno man, pike aren't exactly picky fish. Perhaps you need something a bit smaller then 130lb flouro leaders, but to tell someone to go leaderless for pike is only going to donate lures to the back of the fishes throat, or to the bottom of the lake.

Nicely done!

I was thinking about going there to take a few casts since it never even froze over at all this year. These things are supposed to bite jerkbaits year round right?

Has anyone been in contact with the legendary SNAG lately? Would love to see what he's been up to with the downtown pike lately.

Used to fish the harbour and Islands.

The fish are there. Likely sluggish with the cold water.

Try a suspending body bait like a Husky Jerk and twitch it real slow. makes for monotonous fishing but should work

I was going to suggest the same thing. Although the weather has been fairly mild, the water is still quite cold. Slow your presentation down. Use suspending body baits, jerk like crazy a few times, then just let it sit there. I haven't fished down there since I moved out of the city, but thats what we used to do. Keep at it. There are some real monsters lurking around down there. Also try the boardwalk in fron of old fort york. Used to do well there also. Good Luck!!

If you do a bit of research on the fish you are targetig you will learn things and have a better chance of catching that species. It is well known that pike don't care what size line or leader you are really using. An as said not using a leader is only going to result in you losing lures possibly killing the fish and still.coming up empty handed.

I dunno man, pike aren't exactly picky fish. Perhaps you need something a bit smaller then 130lb flouro leaders, but to tell someone to go leaderless for pike is only going to donate lures to the back of the fishes throat, or to the bottom of the lake.

Well that's what he said, to go leaderless like he was. He also said he had bites, and well, I didn't get bites. This was my second day at this spot in the past week, and nothing.

That's not all, I recognized this guy from a picture on OFF holding some monster pike at this exact spot a month ago. So I knew he meant it.

Getting nothing, so I gotta change something right?

Also, on the issue of leaders read on here: http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/forum/topic/13587-pike-tips/page__view__findpost__p__223947

Mixed opinions indeed.

Edited by MichaelAngelo

There are many types of leader material. Some prefer a steel leader, some prefer Fluorocarbon. You should try them both and see if you can figure out which one you prefer in the end. The only thing thats going to sway your decision is success with one or the other.