Rusting tackle problem?

MichaelAngelo

After a day of fishing I open all the trays, lay them out in the garage till they R dry. U can clean the rust off by gently rubbing the hooks with steel wool. Be sure to use leather gloves while removing the rust or it is going to be a big OUCH! Rust on lures is also caused by storing them in the same trays as salted tubes. I store my salted tubes in zip lock bags or tupperware type containers with nothing else. Hope this helps.

keep the silicone bags that come with a lot of new purchases. put one or to in each tray (tape them to the top). This will help absorb he resiudal humidity. If possible (fishing from a boat or dock) let the lures dry in the sun for 30 mins before you put them away. And lastly - when you get home - open the trays for an hour or two to let the moisture out. Any combination of the above helps.

Trays with gaskets are more expensive and worth the money.

And I've told lots of fishermen the best thing for hooks, flipping jigs,jigs,dropshot supplies is not made for tackle.

Urine sample jars are by far the very best. Made to keep moisture in Or out. The 2oz model fits in most tackle boxes the 3&4oz model are still good.

Awesome thanks for the advice everyone. What I'm going to try now is put all the tackle I used in a separate box (I have the space) and then dry that one out when I get back. This system should work nicely.

And rice sounds like an interesting idea, the cell-phone saver strikes again lol =)

If you fish in salt water (with a pro) you will notice they ALWAYS wash their lures and equipment after each outing in clean fresh water ... salt will corrode literally overnight.

In freshwater I ALWAYS leave the trays open (rain or not) overnight before storing... wet lures - especially ones with bucktail or feathers will create condensation on all your other lures as they dry ... and even your plastics will get all gooey.

No real need to do anything else (I dont use the gaskets as they just seal in the moisture anyways) ... BUT ... I do take one of those big $10 blue plastic storage bins (with the lid) on the boat whenever there is a threat of rain ... it serves as 100% protection of my stuff (and clothing etc) from the elements and doubles as a 'table-top' for those lures and pliers and camera and things I like to keep right within reach ... plus it makes transport to and from the vehicle alot easier.

option 1

take a white 5 gallon pail....use a grinder and cut angled notches all the way around the top of it so it looks like a giant hole saw ....hang your lures in the slots end of day spray them with WD....i used to use the curtains but your lures sweat in the extreme heat and the tape lifts off....not a bad thing if your into painting your own lures...but ...i just dont have time for that ...

option 2

dont use your lures...just admire them...

Edited by Twocoda