ATVS -traditional or side by side?

captpierre

Starting to look around for my first ATV. Looking for something that my wife and I can ride together up at the cottage trails.

Some folks are saying best to get a side by side with a dump box on the back like the Polaris Ranger. I understand they are not legal on the roads.

Anybody know any pros and cons?

Yep, the side by sides are great until you get to a skinny trail.

They are a great machine for working around the property, or in the woods, but if your planning on using it on ATV trails, you could run into problems.

My buddy has a ranger, and its a great rig for working. I use a gator at work, and again, its great, but no good for narrow trails.

S.

Before you go and buy anything, do some research, that way we won't have to mop up the river of tears afterwards. 2up ATVs are not legal for road use even if it's the driver only driving. Side by side can't be used there either, they are too wide and too heavy to fall under the ATV definition. Some clubs don't allow their use either. If you are using them on your own land, fine amuse yourself.

Here's some reading. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/atv/two-up-ATVs.shtml

Where is your cottage?

Contact a local ATV club, (if you need help finding one, let me know) go to a couple of their meetings, talk to some of the members, they will be able to help you a lot in deciding which machine to get. They can fill you in on trail conditions, what is or isn't allowed, and the clubs often have organized rides which are a super way to get introduced to area trails and ATVing. I think Kawartha ATV charges $15.00 a day if you aren't a member which includes your trail pass for the day, and a guided, organized trail ride. The other big advantage is no one gets left behind.

If you are planning on going off exploring trails on your own, there is a lot more involved than just jumping on an ATV and heading off into the bush. Tire repair kits, safety gear, trail maps, there is a lot to learn if you want to do it safely.

Have the regular two-up. Like it because it rides like a quad and fits into the box of my truck. With some homemade quad mods it's pimped out to do what I need it too as well.

Guys are pointing out the obvious like, space, size, trails, work... but dood, think about ride too. Do you want to drive a car or a bike. Cause that's a big difference. All the other differences between your one choice versus the other, are really just tradeoffs.

Winter11-026.jpg

Thanks Cliff and Moosebunk.

The cottage is south shore northeast arm of Pigeon. Not sure about major trails in the area. Should look into it.

A proper 2 UP is also a definite possibility. I'm thinking about portability on the back of a pick-up or separate trailer. Honda and Yammy don't make a 2 Up. CanAm and Polaris do. Longer wheelbase and suspension made for a passenger are things I'ld prefer. Is a proper 2 UP still not legal on roads with only 1 on board? (not meaning a standard ATV with a seat bolted on the rear rack).

A box on the back would be handy for firewood or hunting.

There are tons of ATVs on Kijiji but few side by sides.

peter

Edited by captpierre

Is a proper 2 UP still not legal on roads with only 1 on board? (not meaning a standard ATV with a seat bolted on the rear rack).

Jeez, I gave you link with the answer direct from MTO,

"A two-up ATV is prohibited from provincial highways and municipal roads, even if the driver is not carrying a passenger".

Consider this , a side by side is not considered an ATV .... That said , if you want to drive on a paved road where ATVs are permitted you probably not be able to do it on a UTV , here in West Nipissing we are allowed to use our 4 Wheelers where ever we want.. but driving a UTV will get you a ticket pretty quick... Say I wanted to go fishing on Nipissing I could leave my place on a ATV , get a coffee at Tim's and minnows n gas and simply continue down to the lake... If I were using a UTV I'd have to trailer it to the lake.....

Randy

:)

Sorry fisherman. You are right. The link you gave is clear. Thought it might just apply to the aftermarket 2 UPs. Seems kinda crazy to me that they would be banned with 1 rider. The Polaris X2 has a fold away rear seat. A cop wouldn't likely know it was a 2 UP.

The two up rule is hardly enforced. I work in an area of high atv use, and come across this question all the time.

A utv will get you a fine on the roads. A proper 2 up ATV, usualy, will not.

The trails up in the kawartha highlands area are fairly narrow. You'd be best with an ATV, either 2 up, or not.

S.

A utv will get you a fine on the roads. A proper 2 up ATV, usualy, will not.

S.

I take it then that you will "usually" pay the other guys ticket.. :whistling:

It looks like the 2UP factory models, after market adaptations and side x sides are not on the near horizon for MTO to give them any sort of approval. Word has it there's just no "real" standard for them and until that happens, you may as well use what works. Hypothetically, if they were completely outlawed, then what do you do? Cry to the salesman or the company that built them. Good luck buttercup.

Oh on edit, I didn't mean Sinkers a buttercup :P

Edited by Fisherman

There is one way around it here ... UTVs that are used on the road must be insured under a Farm policy and must have a " slow moving vehicle sign" attached to it ya know "the orange triangle".... But that is a by-law.. The 2-Up isn't enforced here .. In fact our Police detachment has 2 of them.

Randy

There is one way around it here ... UTVs that are used on the road must be insured under a Farm policy and must have a " slow moving vehicle sign" attached to it ya know "the orange triangle".... But that is a by-law.. The 2-Up isn't enforced here .. In fact our Police detachment has 2 of them.

Randy

Yes and part of that loophole is that you have to be engaged in the farm work/trapping/etc. Can't find it right now but certain agencies like emergency jobs are exempt from the 2 up rules when using them for "work" too.

In our area here since the side by sides came out , many of our neigbours who have them have been running the roads with them and no problems with the law , mine you its a farming community tho . My question to which i don't know the answer .... can the utv be plated like my atv is and are all side by sides utv's ? When it comes to the atv trails in Ontario whats up? Do we here not care to see or want utv's or side by sides using the trails ? My understand is that in the province of Quebec they are , if not already are widening all thier trails to accomdate the wider side by side machines . Are the powers that be not going to do that here as well ?

If you want to see sxs or UTVs on the trails, you might as well just let it open up to jeeps and suzukis etc.

I've done my fare share of trail maintance thru out Simcoe in the fall for after the atv's have run them all summer . I spent 50 gran on a machine to go out there andwork countless hours of filling the corners back in so the snow groomers can do there job properly . All i hear from the club people is , if they did'nt go so fast the trail would stay in place and need a lot less maintance . Side by sides or utv's to my knowlage go alot slower , that would be alot safer as well.... no ?

Edited by Skipper " D "

My son went to a resort in Quebec for the company Christmas weekend. They had access to ATVs to use on the trails.

He tried the 2 UPs and side by sides with his wife and found the side by sides to me more fun.

Easier to talk with your passenger. The roll bar made them feel more safe.

I'm going to contact the Kawartha ATV club and ask around the Spring Fishing Show and Sportsman Show.

peter

Every one has their preferance , the Artic cat Prowler just happens to be mine . I would hate to buy one then find out you were'nt aloud on the ontario atv trail system with one . I bought a new 400 eiger in 06 to try the trail ridding thing and never fell in love with the machine , our son was around at the time and was also wanting to get out on some thing . I made the mistake of taking him shopping to buy a machine , i wanted the prowler at the time and he wanted no part of a machine with a steering wheel and said he would'nt ride it unless it had handle bars , so i guess i bought it more for him then of me that day . Shortly after since it was papa's money that paid for it and only papa was doing the carring if you know what i mean , its been sitting in the barn doing nothing since the fall of 06 . I was hopeing to trade it off this spring on a new prowler . ihave property i can play around on and i would'nt think twice taking it with me on holidays in Qc as they have 3500 km of trail for them to explore.

Edited by Skipper " D "

I've done my fare share of trail maintance thru out Simcoe in the fall for after the atv's have run them all summer . I spent 50 gran on a machine to go out there andwork countless hours of filling the corners back in so the snow groomers can do there job properly . All i hear from the club people is , if they did'nt go so fast the trail would stay in place and need a lot less maintance . Side by sides or utv's to my knowlage go alot slower , that would be alot safer as well.... no ?

I will agree that some of the UTV's tend to go a little slower, they're more of a work machine than the others.

Have you seen some of the SxS videos, it tends to give the wacky multitudes the inspiration to see if they can do the same on our trails and chew them up. The bigger, faster and more power they get, people will just have to try them out and cause grief.

Edited by Fisherman

Sorry fisherman. You are right. The link you gave is clear. Thought it might just apply to the aftermarket 2 UPs. Seems kinda crazy to me that they would be banned with 1 rider. The Polaris X2 has a fold away rear seat. A cop wouldn't likely know it was a 2 UP.

The 2-up machine law isn't really enforced.. As long as there is no one on the back while travelling on a road! Most cops will look the other way since alot of them have the same machines.

On the can-am models the rear seat can be removed.. They also have the most comfortable rear seat and handles ( from what I have read)

Either a 2-up machine or a SxS is a great choice if your planning on bringing the wife along, my vote goes for the 2-up machine because it's easier to transport, and I prefer to "ride" something with some body English rather than sit there and steer..

The SxS has its merits too.. Nice ride for both driver and passenger ( like a car)... Easier to talk to each other.. They can be accesorized to the nuts.. You can haul more and tow heavier loads... But if you ever get it stuck - oh boy!!