A "Solid" Laker Report.

Moosebunk

2012 has been a slow start with only two days on the ice this season before this past Tues and Wednesday. Seeing a gap in the busy work schedule along with a couple great weather days, I built up some motivation to get my butt out there.

Tuesday...

A local laketrout lake that's been busting me balllz for two years was the destination of choice. After getting the kids on the bus in the morning, the line was down by 10:00am with decent expectations. Wanted to try some different things on the ice and was hopeful they would pay off.

Around 11:00am. First fish is a rocket that chased the lure hard and missed a few times before getting the grab. Spotty odd pike.

Winter12-021.jpg

About noon time a second fish came in on the sonar. With some coaxing it took to the bait too. Meaty little laker.

Winter12-022.jpg

At 1:00pm I got another hit and it turned out to be the Holy Mutha Chunko!!! Even though the hit was only a 5 outta 10 kinda slam!!! I was having a little lunch in my Clam hut!!!

So into the Clam... yes into the Clam...

And while in the Clam...

"YESSSSSS!!!"

Ahhhhh feels small....

Wait a minute....

Ohhhh you got some juice in ya....

Hmmmmmm, that's weight right there!?!?.....

Nooooo, you didn't just rip off like that...???

Flip the Clam Up...

"HEY!!! ONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE A MINUTE!?!?" I shout over to some other doods...

"Hey man. Nice seeing ya out here!" I says cause of knowing the one guy who comes over. "Dood, I thought this fish was a runt but I just released a fiver and this is KILLING that fish. Mind sticking around if I need ya for anything?" Seeing rod bent, hearing reel peel, my face red, he does so oblige.

The laker continued to ruin me for like eight hours........ well, maybe ten minutes or so...dunno..? Not since "some" of the Kesagami pike has a fish that tough been at the end of an ice rod. Kept repeating that my laker luck bites and so I'll probably lose the fish.

BUT... it wasn't lost!!!!!

Winter12-024.jpg

NEW ICE PB!!! Long fight too... enjoyable for sure!

Winter12-023.jpg

That was the day. After getting the fish I did more chatting, napping, and played with a couple more active non-taker-lakers before heading home to see the kiddies off the bus.

Wednesday...

Next morning... repeat with the kids and bus and then on the road. This day Grant was meeting me, hadn't seen my bud in awhile. Hoping the fish were still in the harvest moon mood.

DAY WAS MINT!!! Fishing by 10:00am done by 4:00pm. Happy to have nothing but blue skies and warm weather that we sat out in all day and enjoyed. Fishing was slow though... got sun burned actually.

Around 11:30am my set-line gave a little jingle. No horsing this one, it was a fun laker on my UL pannie rod with 4lb. Fish gave a surprisingly slow and methodical fight with more subtle headshakes like a walleye. During the action I was guessing with Grant that an eye is maybe what it would be. But no, it was all troooooot!!!

Winter12-027.jpg

And that'd be all for the day.

Grant sadly missed a couple and had a real rod bender on for a moment. My Lowrance marked three fish all day. Company made the day!!!

Nice way to kick off February and what'll be a limited ice season compared to last year. If the outings made are anything like these two days, it'll be OK in the end.

Winter12-026.jpg

Over Christmas I was playing for the first time with MovieMaker and did up a couple slideshows. This one here is a collection of photos from all the past ice fishing trips for big pike and walleye up on Kesagami. Will leave it here to enjoy...