Baitcaster/braided line discussion

boombap

There's far too many lines on the market for everyone to agree on one.

I'd say have a budget for 2 different braids and try both..I'm pretty sure you'll like at least one of them. There's not very many bad braids out there...And even the braids that aren't so good, there are people that like them.

I've hated on Duracast for the longest time because of its line diameter. :whistling:

Edited by EC1

I have been using 30# Power Pro on a baitcaster for several years and love it. I have tried other brands but always ended up with problems. Power Pro is always problem free.

I used 60# Tuff Line XP on another reel for a few years with no problems. Good inexpensive line. I didn't like the lighter pound test Tuff Line though.

I have since moved up to 80# Power Pro on that reel now but still would not have a problem with using Tuff Line in the heavier tests.

I like braid that does not have any extra stuff to make it slip or render it less limp. Yes, the main reason that stuff was added to braid was the problem with tip wrapping. However, the thinner and limper the braid is, the further it casts.

I have tried a bunch of braided lines and have switched them from spinning to baitcasting reels and back to spinning. Oddly enough, I have never tried mono on a baitcaster.

Anyway, my favourite braid is Mason Tiger braid in 18 lb test. I get great distance with this line. Another line I like to use is Tuff Line....not the Ultra nor the XP or anything like that....just Tuff Line. It has no added substance to make it less limp.

I don't have any problems with tip wrapping but I rarely leave enough slack line for this to happen.

I have used Spider Line and I still have 20 lb test Power Pro on one baitcaster. They are both good. In any event, most of my braided lines are 20 lb test except for the 18 lb test Mason Tiger Braid.

I have a 300 yard spool of Tuf Line (no additives) in 35 lb test (salt and pepper coloured) that I have in reserve.

The only braided lines I have thrown away since they came out is the Spider Line and Remington Braid that was junk. I still have some original Gorilla Braid on a baitcaster and it works great.

The only braided line that I have come across has been the Remington Braid. I think I paid about 4 dollars per spool on Ebay. I gave it away and made a few people hate braided line....lol.

Just a comment about the difference between Tuf(F?) Line and Tuff Line XP. Tuff Line will dig into the spool rendering the spool unmoveable (usually too far in to fix) when the drag is set tight. Tuff Line XP does not.

Not true.

20lb PowerPro breaks at 21-22 lbs.

20lb Sufix 832 breaks at 18-20 lbs.

Most 20lb braid breaks around 30lbs, some over 40lb. I dunno where you got your numbers but they don't seem very accurate. I know I can easily snap 20lb mono, 20lb braid on the other hand takes a lot more effort.

braid.png

Edited by BillM

Jumped on the Suffix 832 bandwagon last year, wish I didn't. Tip wrap was brutal, pulled it off all my baitcast reels and went back to 20# PPro.

I was drawn in by the hype also I had it on several reels, now I am back to the regular Sufix perf braid. No tip wrap from this line.

Most 20lb braid breaks around 30lbs, some over 40lb. I dunno where you got your numbers but they don't seem very accurate. I know I can easily snap 20lb mono, 20lb braid on the other hand takes a lot more effort.

braid.png

BillM, how accurate is this? The berkley seems extremely strong.

Jose, the braid that was on the Calais I bought from you was great. I think that was Suffix Performance braid if I'm not mistaken... Great stuff.

Bill

Yep Sufix SPB, looking for the larger spools in the States for it. Lucky they still make it.

I bought larger spools of the 832 big mistake IMO

Daiwa samurai 55. Lebarons pricing is cheaper than the states. Spb was awesome. The orange colour was garbage though, thing was frayed after a few trips

With the 20lb test being strong, I'm sure it is. But when you cast, with a quick or whip cast the line snaps like nothing lol. Prob is the way I cast, I've always used next to no braking and never thumb the spool and bomb the lure out. Have to be gentler with braid

Edited by danbob

So you need gloves on than? Think that kinda proves my point, if you need to wear physical protection as to not create an injury.

Bertstaregif.gif

Do I need gloves to break 20lb mono? No.. Would I rather use gloves so I don't dig into my hands? Yes.

BTW, that gif is hilarious! LOL!

Edited by BillM

I stopped using mono when my grandfather (a lifelong guide) showed me he can break 20 lb test mono with 1 Kleenex tissue... In a couple seconds...

I run 10lb power pro for trolling... I didn't break off all year... And I'm making contact with rocks...weeds...zebra mussles... Wood.... And landed some big musky by accident also... You just have to check your line on a regular basis...

Spinnerbait rods only 15? I could not even cast em without breakages using that light of braid

absolutely only 15lb braid on my spinnerbait rods, i dont see a need for anything bigger. if i dont pay attention to my line and check it then yes i have had a few issues here and there, but for the most part no, no breakages at all.

A couple of things that everyone has seemed to ignore in this thread. Yes, a lighter line should get you further casts. Another thing to consider is making sure your reel and it's bearings are lubed nicely. I love Quantum HotSauce, it smoothed up my Abu 6500C4 musky reel and made it feel like something completely different. Another thing is possibly upgrading the bearings in your reels or even upgrading your reels. You didn't mention what kind you have. A $50 Canadian Tire Baitcaster is never ever going to cast anything like a Curado or more expensive.

At work, in the lab. All failed mid span, no knot failures. Tied them all to the rig with a Palomar knot.

I repeated it 3 times for each line, and each time the same result - just under 20lbs for Sufix 832, and just over 20lbs for PowerPro.

Did you only test two lines? I'd like to see what 20lb Fireline Crystal fails at.

A couple of things that everyone has seemed to ignore in this thread. Yes, a lighter line should get you further casts. Another thing to consider is making sure your reel and it's bearings are lubed nicely. I love Quantum HotSauce, it smoothed up my Abu 6500C4 musky reel and made it feel like something completely different. Another thing is possibly upgrading the bearings in your reels or even upgrading your reels. You didn't mention what kind you have. A $50 Canadian Tire Baitcaster is never ever going to cast anything like a Curado or more expensive.

Ok your right, so heres one of my reels, 50 pound power pro and 6:4:1 gear ratio.