Buying a used boat?

Lunatic

so ive been looking to buy a used boat,nothing crazy just a 12-16ft tinny.ive never owned a boat just rented them or used a friends.

so i have no idea what i should be looking out for? ill need to buy one with a trailer. do i have to pay taxes on the boat or trailer? do i need ownerships,plates,registrations? safety?

any help or direction would be great thx again.

also i see fiberglass boats and have rented one before and it seemed fine to me at the time, should i stay away from these?

yes you have to pay taxes on both.

you need the ownership for the trailer and the vessel registration for the boat.

No safety is required for the trailer.

You also need a pleasure craft operators card if you put ANY type of motor on it.

Then the usual safety equipment on board.

Get a 14ft or a 16ft tinny. 12 you will grow out of the first time you use it. For the 14, get a 15 or 20hp motor and the 16 at least a 20hp. You might be able to find a decent pkg for as little as 2000 bucks and the sky is the limit. Good luck.

thx guys

so taxes need to be paid on both the trailer and boat?i;ll be buying a package deal i hope. so ill only be paying taxes on the total cost of the boat/trailer right? never know with the goverment,thats why i ask.

wonder what happens with getting homemade trailers and boats as far as registering them?

When you go to register your trailer, say you got it for VERY cheap.

As far as registration for the boat goes.. I dont believe anything is needed for a tinny.

Edit:

The rule I believe is that you do not have to register any boat as long as the motor is less than 10 horsepower.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-hmnpwrd-menu-3644.htm

Edited by boombap

Not sure about the boat, but you will have to pay tax when you change the ownership of the trailer.. Same as any other vehicle with a plate. If the ownership is lost, you can get a new one by saying the trailer is "home built"... Unless it isn't and has a manufactur tag with serial number, then give them that information.. Most people write receipts for less than what was actually paid to save the buyer money on paying the tax on the purchased price.

If it’s going to be a private sale, ask the seller for two recites; one for the value of the trailer and one for the boat. That way the provincial and federal governments won’t be so tempted to double dip on the taxes. Yes it is all HST now but the moneys are collected by different people.

It will also be much more believable if the values are questioned by either hand of the tax man.

If the rig you buy is from a dealer; quiz them on what and where the tax money they’re collecting from you is going; especially if they’re going to plate the trailer and register the boat for you. The last thing is keep all your documents; (bill of sale, tax recites) in a safe place. That’s so you can provide those documents, if and or when the tax man wants to have a look see; which could be a couple of years down the road.

Dan.

You can buy a safety canister from Canadian tire that has all the requirements for $20 just find a good bucket for bailing water.

If your buying a used tinny, the further away from the city you look the better deal you will get. Have a mechanic do a compression test On the motor and make sure the boat floats.

Good luck

Edited by mistaredone

you guys have been a great help. i really like the 3 receipts idea.

to throw a monkey wrench into my plans the wife wants a boat with a wheel so we can go tubing,sking and swimming from as well. im trying to convince her that we cant use that kind of boat on small lakes plus the gas in a 100hp motor would be murder compared to a small tinny lol

anyone here ever fished lake O or erie in a tinny?

The 3 receipt route sounds good, I bought a boat package a few years ago, registered the trailer (taxes paid), registered the boat (free boat numbers), 2 years later, I get a letter from the government saying I owe them $$$ for the boat. I kinda thought when I got my boat numbers, all was good.

• 2 years later...

When you go to register your trailer, say you got it for VERY cheap.

As far as registration for the boat goes.. I dont believe anything is needed for a tinny.

Edit:

The rule I believe is that you do not have to register any boat as long as the motor is less than 10 horsepower.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-hmnpwrd-menu-3644.htm

Anything over a 12 foot boat you need to do the registration thing. It's all a joke.

The 3 receipt route sounds good, I bought a boat package a few years ago, registered the trailer (taxes paid), registered the boat (free boat numbers), 2 years later, I get a letter from the government saying I owe them $$$ for the boat. I kinda thought when I got my boat numbers, all was good.

I can relate to that, I'm still waiting for the tax bill regarding a bass boat I bought 2 years ago. The last two owners of this boat never had to, or just never did register it to their names. But now that this new crap rule is in effect, I'm expected to pay taxes on a 24 year old bass boat( with a 2000' motor on it) all because the previous owner would not change the reciepts for boat and motor seperate. What happens if I sell my boat tomorrow?? I still get a tax bill for the amount I paid for it, but now I dont even own it. It's all a bunch of crap and money grab!!

Edited by aplumma
Lets control the cussing please.

yes you have to pay taxes on both.

you need the ownership for the trailer and the vessel registration for the boat.

No safety is required for the trailer.

You also need a pleasure craft operators card if you put ANY type of motor on it.

Then the usual safety equipment on board.

So in essence you're saying I should have gotten a reciept on a bass boat I bought 2 years ago, saying it had a 9.9 merc on the back rather than disclosing the 150 yamaha and asked for a cheaper amount??? By the time the government catches up with all this crap, because I'm telling ya right now, no ol'timers who have been on the water for 50 years are gonna start registering their 14 foot tin boats which have been passed down to them through generations. I think registering used boats is a good idea, but creating it just like used vehicles will not work. New boats receive taxes, enuff said!!!