Survival suit

wormdunker

Whatever you decide to go with, it's a good idea to make sure it Canadian Coast Guard approved. Especially if you plan on using it in the boat in the early spring/late fall. May be different now, but the old buoy o buoy & helly hansens were not.

Completely ignore this advice.

The Canadian Coast Guard is not the approving authority in Canada.

The approving authority in Canada is the Department of Transport(Canada).

If it says "Canadian Coast Guard Approved" it is one of two things.

1: Old stock.(more than a few years)

Or

2: A counterfeit product.

To the best of my knowledge both the Buoy O Buoy & the Helly Hansens are approved by the Department of Transport(Canada).

I know my Helly Hansen is approved by the Department of Transport(Canada).

I run with the Artic Armor, absolutly love it. 2 peice, you can use it warm or cold they breath duriable can't say enough good about it. I went thru the Ice on quinte down strean the bridge, last march, It sealed up around my legs I did not have my top on and it bobbed me up like a pencil in a glass of water, I could feel the current pulling me under, this suit saved my life, I am sure a survival suit would of been good as well, but there was no bulky floatation,I had no problem getting out. Not coastguard approved, in canada, at least they were not when I bought them 5 years ago. Oh yea after I fell through the bottom of my arms were the only things that got wet I fished the rest of the morning the kissed the ground when i got in.

I think the best suit out there is the Mustang Integrity HX. It's also the most expensive. I had to sell mine because it was a bit short and replaced it with a Helly Hanson.

.....and I'm thankful I'm a bit shorter then you Bill! :D I second the Integrity HX.

Edited by ckrb2007

I run with the Artic Armor, absolutly love it. 2 peice, you can use it warm or cold they breath duriable can't say enough good about it. I went thru the Ice on quinte down strean the bridge, last march, It sealed up around my legs I did not have my top on and it bobbed me up like a pencil in a glass of water, I could feel the current pulling me under, this suit saved my life, I am sure a survival suit would of been good as well, but there was no bulky floatation,I had no problem getting out. Not coastguard approved, in canada, at least they were not when I bought them 5 years ago. Oh yea after I fell through the bottom of my arms were the only things that got wet I fished the rest of the morning the kissed the ground when i got in.

I like the fact they don't have the bulky floatation. R they warm? Where would I be able to try them on? I'm in Sudbury. Don't mind driving to Toronto, I'm there quite often. Thanx

You are bang on with that one Frankie!

They have a distributor list on their website. Most cities have a few places that sell them. But I've found that most of the distributors don't carry the full line of models. Eg. The Rack and Reel in Barrie carries Salus, but they only have the "Comfort Class", which is their cheapest suit. I had to order in my "Endurance Class".

Well worth the wait!

Completely ignore this advice.

The Canadian Coast Guard is not the approving authority in Canada.

The approving authority in Canada is the Department of Transport(Canada).

was not aware of this change, CCG used to be the authority.

Does that mean any life jackets we may buy need to be Dept of Transport Canada approved in order to be legal.

Is there anywhere to buy them around Belleville? I definetely need something this year and I want something I can move around in while musky fishing, nothing too bulky or stiff.

I had to go into the water in Haliburton in the middle of October to get my trailor out of the boat launch (snagged something and bent the axle) and even before winter the water was cold enough that I literally couldn't breathe when the water hit my chest. If I fall out of the boat in fall while musky fishing I'd be in serious trouble. I'm a pretty good swimmer but the initial shock would more than likely be too much.

Thanx for all the replies, many different opinions. The main ingredient is most suits R awkward & uncomfortable. Hell we put many people on the moon, why can't we protect a fisherman, cause fishing is very important!!!

I have a Frabill Ice suit that I love. It's pricy but well worth it. Waterproof padded knees warm as hell. All I put under it is a thermal long sleeve and I'm set for any day on the ice.

Check them out

http://frabill.com/icesuit-5.html

I have a Frabill Ice suit that I love. It's pricy but well worth it. Waterproof padded knees warm as hell. All I put under it is a thermal long sleeve and I'm set for any day on the ice.

Check them out

http://frabill.com/icesuit-5.html

They're nice and warm, but if u go for a swim, you will sink like a stone. Correct?

was not aware of this change, CCG used to be the authority.

Does that mean any life jackets we may buy need to be Dept of Transport Canada approved in order to be legal.

Yes all new life jackets need to be approved by the Department of Transport(Canada).

It's been this way for at least a few years.

Any older life jacket that was approved by the Canadian Coast Guard is still legal for use as long as it's still in good condition.

Copied from Transport Canada's website:

Approval Process for Lifejackets and PFDs

Both lifejackets and PFDs are built to specific standards and are approved based on tests carried out on sample products submitted by manufacturers to a testing laboratory recognized by the approval authority. In Canada, the approval authority for lifejackets and PFDs is Transport Canada.

Manufacturers of devices that have received approval are subsequently subject to an ongoing follow up system as a measure of continued quality control. The approval issued applies only to unmodified devices as built by manufacturers of approved products. Modifications to an approved device will void approval.

Approvals are not issued for individual products nor can they be issued retroactively.

Is there anywhere to buy them around Belleville? I definetely need something this year and I want something I can move around in while musky fishing, nothing too bulky or stiff.

I had to go into the water in Haliburton in the middle of October to get my trailor out of the boat launch (snagged something and bent the axle) and even before winter the water was cold enough that I literally couldn't breathe when the water hit my chest. If I fall out of the boat in fall while musky fishing I'd be in serious trouble. I'm a pretty good swimmer but the initial shock would more than likely be too much.

I actually had to order mine throug the states years ago, now I hear there in canada but I dont know where. I would call Jeff or Paul from Quite ice fishing team, they are the guys who put me on to these suits. They will now where to get them. There in Belleville. I use mine for musky fishing right from sept till december. I beat it up and still no holes.

and arctic armor is light and flexible and floats fantastically ...but not approved but who cares

This will be my next suit for sure. Mainly because they come in camo, but i also think the 2 piece suit is the way to go. You get more use out of it.

They are super light and flexible. You wouldn't even think they float by looking at them. Nothing like a floater suit at all.

S.

I actually had to order mine throug the states years ago, now I hear there in canada but I dont know where. I would call Jeff or Paul from Quite ice fishing team, they are the guys who put me on to these suits. They will now where to get them. There in Belleville. I use mine for musky fishing right from sept till december. I beat it up and still no holes.

Thanks! I'd rather buy one in person than order one online to make sure it fits right.