Keep the cars off the ice guys!!!!!

bigugli

Yesterday, we had a great day on the ice. Got out and walked 1 1/2km to our spot. On the way back we find our exit buggered. Some dumb twit tried to drive out and busted up the ice 20' out from the access. There is nowheres near enough ice for cars and trucks.

Play it safe guys.

where I was yesterday a car drove out on 5 inches on ice and was coming close to me.I yelled at him to stay away and then he asked me how thick it was. DUH! EVERYBODY ELSE WAS TELLING HIM TO GET OFF THE ICE!

wow. S-M-R-T!

I've pulled more guys out of the snow in middle of lake Simcoe driving Dodge Caravans or other minivans then I care to remember.

Some people just don't use their heads.

Couple of years ago, we pulled two guys out of a 4 foot snow bank, 10k out on Simcoe... they were driving a Matrix!!!!!

They had to follow my tracks to get off the ice... best part, neither had gloveson, when they were trying to dig out their car!!!

HH

With how high my car insurance is I doubt I'd have the stones to take a risk of my car on the ice regardless how thick it is. I'll just deal with the long walk.

Plus I drive a hyundai Elentra.

A lot of people are out there with no insurance these days. Regular dodge is to pay 2 months up front, get your plate renewed, then cancel the policy. They finally caught my neighbour last month, after he had been at it a couple of years. A big reason for many hit and run accidents.

where I was yesterday a car drove out on 5 inches on ice and was coming close to me.I yelled at him to stay away and then he asked me how thick it was. DUH! EVERYBODY ELSE WAS TELLING HIM TO GET OFF THE ICE!

That's why us locals answer the question "How do you know when it's safe to go out on the ice?" with "When you guys stop falling through the ice!"

That brings back a memory.

Does anyone else remember a few years ago when some guys parked on the ice off Westhore marina and ALL of them went through? I think there was 5 trucks. It was early season with not much ice at all and maybe 2ft deep..

I remember the deafening sound of the trucks breaking the ice as the tow truck tried to winch them out... brutal.

Edited by Harrison

Couple of years ago, we pulled two guys out of a 4 foot snow bank, 10k out on Simcoe... they were driving a Matrix!!!!!

They had to follow my tracks to get off the ice... best part, neither had gloveson, when they were trying to dig out their car!!!

HH

I remember that day... we may have been to nice. :D

That brings back a memory.

Does anyone else remember a few years ago when some guys parked on the ice off Westhore marina and ALL of them went through? I think there was 5 trucks. It was early season with not much ice at all and maybe 2ft deep..

I remember the deafening sound of the trucks breaking the ice as the tow truck tried to winch them out... brutal.

Don't remember that one but have seen it at Virginia Beach a couple of times. Parking like it was a parking lot on 5-6 inches of ice.

Another vote for the new ice fishing season in the Kawarthas. :thumbsup_anim: We seem to get earlier, better and safer ice than most other places (within reason).

I was just out last night on Buckhorn with my truck on 12"+ of solid black ice, unfortunately only a rockbass to show for it. Chemong has similar ice, this past weekend we were out on at least 11" or 12".

Funny that one of the arguments against opening a winter season around here was perceived poor ice conditions. Of course there are plenty of places on the Tri-Lakes a vehicle (or sled, ATV or on foot) should never tread, but that's the same on many waterbodies.