Need some info on the wonderful city of barrie.

lookinforwalleye

Hey guys I havent been on the board much lately as I have been going through some dificulty times with my personall life anyways I will be looking for a new place to live in the next little while and in checking the MLS Barrie seems to offer a decent selection of condo`s in the 130k-150k range.

I know there are a few guys on the board that call Barrie home and I was hoping you guys would be kind enough to fill me in on what living in Barrie is like,area`s to avoid,what the commute is like etc.

Thanks

Hey guys I havent been on the board much lately as I have been going through some dificulty times with my personall life anyways I will be looking for a new place to live in the next little while and in checking the MLS Barrie seems to offer a decent selection of condo`s in the 130k-150k range.

I know there are a few guys on the board that call Barrie home and I was hoping you guys would be kind enough to fill me in on what living in Barrie is like,area`s to avoid,what the commute is like etc.

Thanks

south end is busy and i try to avoid it as much as i can, the commute sucks if you dont getaway early enough, if you leave before 5 30 your good almost anywhere, after that it gets busy quick! nice place though, great fishing within an hour any direction

I love living in Barrie - there's always something to do. I commute to the airport area everyday and leave my house at 6:30am and it usually takes 1 1/4hrs. The good thing about the commute is that there is more then one way to head south....the 400 isn't the only way.

Yes, Barrie does have some worse areas then others but nothing to worry about IMO.

We are very happy living in Barrie. When I moved here 7 years ago the front page news was about some guy who got his bike stolen...that will tell you 2 things - safe place to live, and the local newspaper is crap! Can't help you with the commute, as I moved here for work. That's the way to go! No terrible commute, close to Kawarthas and muskokas

Downtown is a hell hole, other then that I don't mind it. Great access to all kinds of fishing.

Also the civil engineers that designed these streets/intersections should be fired. Some of the worst traffic I've ever seen for such a small population.

Also the civil engineers that designed these streets/intersections should be fired. Some of the worst traffic I've ever seen for such a small population.

That would be a good friend of mine Bill... I let him know you care! :sarcasm:

David can only do so much with existing infrastructure where it is unfortunately. I think he's run out of inches for widening Bayfield Street!.. that use to just be a single lane road in the middle of nowhere. Had nothing but the Bayfield mall and CK's chinese in 1985!

The Essa/Ardagh/400 SB exit is the one that drives me crazy.. 3 sets of lights in 500ft of road, lol.. The best part is that they aren't sync'd! So you get a green but can't go anywhere because the light 100ft away is red.

Yeah, I can't imagine there is much he can do. Whoever laid it out originally didn't give it much thought at all.

Edited by BillM

Any body who has enough money and wants to buy me out i am ready to move five hours that way or five hours that way . Been here since 1988 and seen enough . Its one of the best places in Ontario to earn a living if thats what your looking for .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Its one of the best places in Ontario to earn a living if thats what your looking for .

It is if you want to work retail. :wallbash:

Not much industry work in this city.

Im one of the lucky ones that is and lives local.

What condos are you looking at?

The new expanded crap house really stinks down there now. Worse then before.

If you can buy in the south end,that would be your best bet.

Whoever laid it out originally didn't give it much thought at all.

there's the problem. People who work now pretty much have their hands tied by the morons that started it. What I can't understand is why every freakin street needs to change names because it goes around a bend. Other than the goofy roads and trying to figure out how to get around without a gps Barrie is a great spot

It is if you want to work retail. wallbash.gif

Not much industry work in this city.

Im one of the lucky ones that is and lives local.

What condos are you looking at?

The new expanded crap house really stinks down there now. Worse then before.

If you can buy in the south end,that would be your best bet.

Sorry for not explaining , what i ment was being self emplyed and making it on you own rather then working for some one eles .

I lived in Barrie for 10 years. Just moved a few months ago. Now I commute from Orr Lake down in to Barrie.

There are positives and negatives to the City. Like others have said. The roads are brutal, and most of the local jobs are crappy. I lucked out, and got a decent job, been there for almost 7 years.

Whether you like Barrie all depends on what kind of person you are. I moved here when I was 18 from a small town of 3000 people. Barrie was a "big city" to me. Most people I talk to from T.O. wouldn't move to Barrie if you paid them to.

Come spend a weekend here. See for your self, and then make a decision.