Is this legal in Ontario??

tschirk

You got sucked in...that's a ad, not a news item. The 'Alabama rig' as they call it is legal everywhere it just depends on the number of hooks it has. It's a spreader such as one would use ice fishing.

You got sucked in...that's a ad, not a news item. The 'Alabama rig' as they call it is legal everywhere it just depends on the number of hooks it has. It's a spreader such as one would use ice fishing.

Sucked in?? See this:

http://www.factsoffishing.com/blog/news/no-alabama-rigs-at-the-bassmaster-classic/

That has nothing to do with legalities...it just means that lures manufacturers who sponsor those events don't allow them...it cuts into their profits y'know?

You don't even have to buy them. Go to a dollar store and buy a dozen miniature kitchen whisks. Need I say more?

I wrote this a couple months ago. Explains the legalitities for Ontario anglers.

Cheers

A Game Changer???

Every year the fishing world is inundated with new lures designed to help anglers catch bigger and more fish. Every shape, size and colour of lure is out there it seems and fishing trends come and go. I am not immune from the latest crazes, and I enjoy following the current trends.

The latest and most interesting lure to hit the market is the Alabama Rig also known as an Umbrella Rig. An A-Rig as it is being called is a castable spreader designed to present multiple lures on a single cast. The rig pictured above (“The Alabama Rig” by Andy Poss) is able to present up to five lures to mimic a school of fleeing baitfish. The goal is to attract multiple strikes from aggressive feeding fish.

This rig or rigs like it have been around for many years and are commonly used in striper fishing. It wasn't until a month ago when a well known bass tournament angler decimated his competition using an A-Rig that the bass fishing community started to wake up and discuss this lure. Paul Elias used one to beat his competition by an unheard of 17 pounds and led the Guntersville FLW Tour event from start to finish. By the time the last day rolled around all the top 10 anglers where using an A-Rig to catch bass.

What makes this rig unique is it turns the fishing world upside down from a culture of stealth and invisibility to one of noisy and shockingly visible. This rig consists of nothing subtle, with thick metal arms, large swivels and clasps. The idea is an aggressive feeding fish will attack this lure and not inspect it closely, therefore no need for subtle thin diamter lines and fine hardware. It is also possible to catch multiple bass in one cast. Numerous online videos show anglers catching 2 or 3 fish at a time. This alone makes anglers like me wake up and pay attention.

Interesting questions arise when this rig is discussed. One question is ethics; if this lure is so successful at catching bass maybe it should be banned and deemed unsportsmanlike? Time will tell if this step is necessary. Another question is whether this rig is even permitted by Ontario law?

When it comes to regulations I thought it would be best ask my friend Tan Tallion at the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources for clarification. I sent him a picture and a few questions. Here are his answers:

1. Is this rig legal in Ontario?

No, the Ontario Fishery Regulations subsection 31(1) states ‘No person shall angle with a line to which more than four hooks are attached’. A ‘hook’ is defined in the OFR as ‘means a single or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger’. In the picture you provided the device appears to have five separate hooks attached to it, not on a common shaft. Therefore, this device is contrary to Ontario law.

2. If this rig is not legal, what modifications could be made to comply with Ontario regulations?

Any modification that would reduce the number of hooks to four (4) would bring the device into compliance with Ontario law.

3. Rationale for current regulation?

Bait and gear restrictions are typically implemented to achieve one or more objectives. The restrictions to four hooks are intended to facilitate effective catch and release and also to reduce the harvest of fish. Additional rationale for the provinces bait and gear restrictions are available in the Regulatory Guidelines for Bait and Gear Restrictions found here http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/stel02_178932.pdf

I am positive I will not be alone on the Canadian tournament fishing circuit throwing these monstrosities around next year. Unfortunately with the tournament season over and the bass fishing season closing in a few weeks, we will have to wait a long six months to see if these rigs work up here north of the border.

Tight lines,

Andrew

http://www.mykawartha.com/blog/post/1254469--a-game-changer

Edited by pooch

When I heavily fished walleye tournaments here I always ran multiple lure rigs off my planer boards and down riggers....anything that resembles a school of bait fish will trigger more strikes then a single lure swimming by.....try reeling in TWO 6 lb walleyes caught off boards 150 feet plus out the back of the boat all while trolling 2 mph and keeping the other 5 lines going in 3 foot seas....LOL....you think for sure he have that 10+ lb walleye that will put you in the money only to find 2 six pounders you have to net... :wallbash: ...LOL

Billy, I do the same on Quinte.

I run a 3 way rig with a spoon on top, and diver on bottom.

we had a case two seasons ago where we hit a 9lbs walleye and a 11.5lbs walleye on the same line...

a blast I tellz ya!

YEP.....same thing here off the boards....WOW, over 20# off walleye on one line....NICE... :clapping:

That has nothing to do with legalities...it just means that lures manufacturers who sponsor those events don't allow them...it cuts into their profits y'know?

You don't even have to buy them. Go to a dollar store and buy a dozen miniature kitchen whisks. Need I say more?

Even though the circuits are heavily sponsor controlled, this ruling goes beyond that. Read the press release as it deals with more setups then just Alabama Rigs. They also have banned drop shot rigs where instead of using a weight on the bottom anglers would use a jig and they also banned topwater with a jig running behind:

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/bass-imposes-one-lure-rule-classic-and-elite-series

From the press release:

The rule change, which does not apply to Bassmaster Open, B.A.S.S. Federation Nation, College B.A.S.S. and other events, clarifies the intent of long-standing rules permitting only one rod, one reel and one cast at a time. No longer permitted are double soft jerkbait rigs, drop shot rigs with jigs used as weights, double topwater setups and other multi-lure rigs, such as “umbrella rigs.”

Even though the circuits are heavily sponsor controlled, this ruling goes beyond that. Read the press release as it deals with more setups then just Alabama Rigs. They also have banned drop shot rigs where instead of using a weight on the bottom anglers would use a jig and they also banned topwater with a jig running behind:

http://www.bassmaste...nd-elite-series

From the press release:

The rule change, which does not apply to Bassmaster Open, B.A.S.S. Federation Nation, College B.A.S.S. and other events, clarifies the intent of long-standing rules permitting only one rod, one reel and one cast at a time. No longer permitted are double soft jerkbait rigs, drop shot rigs with jigs used as weights, double topwater setups and other multi-lure rigs, such as "umbrella rigs."

Those are still tournament events and rules pertaining to those events. It has absolutely nothing to do with State or Provincial fishing regulations.

Those are still tournament events and rules pertaining to those events. It has absolutely nothing to do with State or Provincial fishing regulations.

Agreed.

But perhaps you missed my point. Even though I did agree that circuits can be heavily sponsor controlled. But I guess anything from the arts to sport do fall under sponsor control I thought your comment about "it just means that lures manufacturers who sponsor those events don't allow them...it cuts into their profits y'know?" was unfounded and for this example not really the case.

Edited to add:

If the sponsors really did control this ruling you would expect that all the circuits would be affected not just the Classic and the Elite Series. Kind of like allowing aluminum bats in College and minor league baseball but only wood for the big leagues.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin

Agreed.

But perhaps you missed my point. Even though I did agree that circuits can be heavily sponsor controlled. But I guess anything from the arts to sport do fall under sponsor control I thought your comment about "it just means that lures manufacturers who sponsor those events don't allow them...it cuts into their profits y'know?" was unfounded and for this example not really the case.

Edited to add:

If the sponsors really did control this ruling you would expect that all the circuits would be affected not just the Classic and the Elite Series. Kind of like allowing aluminum bats in College and minor league baseball but only wood for the big leagues.

I agree and give you that point. I guess I was still wrapped up in the legal point and didn't consider what I'd said of the sponsor angle.

I don't think you will see these rigs have much of an impact here in tourny results the way they have in some lakes in the US. Different scenario down there and I can only think of a few lakes here where they MAY be effective,lots of guys will have nothing but exercise to show for their efforts and be light a few bucks. Time will tell.It's to do with food source,feeding habits and fish location.

Edited by hirk

I'm glad there banned from the Bassmasters.

Have any of you watched the videos on youtube of this type of bait??? Looks like the most boring bait ever to fish, and appears to require zero skill to retrieve/present.

I'm sure it's a great way to fill a stringer, so as a lure, I guess it's doing it's job.

For tourny angling though I like to see skilled anglers picking apart the lake in all aspects, and the best angler that day, win.

Sorry, but yes - totally sucked in. Can't trust any "news report" that ends with "click here to order now" .... as this page does.

Indeed, that and "Banned in three States" is about as clear as it gets that it's an ad.