Shed repair NF

dannyboy

I have a 12' X 16' single story shed in need of repair and was wondering at what point do I need to get a building permit?

The plan is for new siding and roof, it is pole construction and the main poles seem ok, but it may be better to replace them.

I live in the Niagara region, but not in the 'green belt', in Ontario if that make a difference.

Thanks

Dan

I have a 12' X 16' single story shed in need of repair and was wondering at what point do I need to get a building permit?

The plan is for new siding and roof, it is pole construction and the main poles seem ok, but it may be better to replace them.

I live in the Niagara region, but not in the 'green belt', in Ontario if that make a difference.

Thanks

Dan

You shouldn't need a permit just to side and roof it. If you are tearing it completely down and re-building it - you would need a permit.

* You require a permit for any new shed construction over 99 sq. ft.

Tracker (Don)

Edited by Tracker

You shouldn't need a permit just to side and roof it. If you are tearing it completely down and re-building it - you would need a permit.

* You require a permit for any new shed construction over 99 sq. ft.

Tracker (Don)

That's exactly what I was told,that is why you see a lot of 12'x8' sheds and smaller.

I would ask the people who could ultimately cause you grief if the by-law wasn't followed and that would be your city/town administration. Give them a call, they'll give you the scoop on what you can and cannot do.

You do not need a permit to "repair"...only to build new, or add additional sq footage, electical etc.

If your staying with in the origional footprint of the build and merely replacing the roof & siding there is no permit required...

When is the last time you got a permit to re-do your roof or siding on your home? :whistling:

Only possible wrinkle is location. Is the property on waterfront, and is the structure adjacent to the waterfront. As then there may be additional provisions under the NPCA

This is a good point but it even goes further then just the waterfront aspect. Many of the conservation authorities have mapped out the entire floodplain for the watershed and identified high risk areas that are not waterfront. These high risk areas fall under the same restrictions as waterfront. I just went through this process as the Wye River runs through my back yard and I built a new garage after jumping through many hurdles. When I looked through the maps I noticed that houses two streets over and not even near the river have the same restrictions as they are situated in the high risk area. Don't want to hijack the thread to start discussing Conservation authorities but the one around here should be disempowered.....terrible people to work with.

This is a good point but it even goes further then just the waterfront aspect. Many of the conservation authorities have mapped out the entire floodplain for the watershed and identified high risk areas that are not waterfront. These high risk areas fall under the same restrictions as waterfront. I just went through this process as the Wye River runs through my back yard and I built a new garage after jumping through many hurdles. When I looked through the maps I noticed that houses two streets over and not even near the river have the same restrictions as they are situated in the high risk area. Don't want to hijack the thread to start discussing Conservation authorities but the one around here should be disempowered.....terrible people to work with.

Ha , i had the pleasure to work with them here just down the road from you on one of my job sites , all kids who only know what they have been told . How do twenty year olds know more the fifty year old i'll never know .

ive had run ins with Upper Thames and Saugeen Conservation Authorities....weather we like it or not ...they do have a say...most of it is bull crap in my mind and nothing but a money grab for yet ANOTHER permit...regardless to the OP....you wont need a permit to side and roof...

Edited by Twocoda

You do not need a permit to "repair"...only to build new, or add additional sq footage, electical etc.

If your staying with in the origional footprint of the build and merely replacing the roof & siding there is no permit required...

When is the last time you got a permit to re-do your roof or siding on your home? :whistling:

Pull up your local municipalites website and you might give that some more thought. Life ain't what it use to be. Hell I think Temagami requires a building permit just to change a window! All renovations require a permit, re- roofing requires a permit.. the list goes on and on...

And this thread will go on and on and on and on... just call or visit the appropriate municipal authority, get the correct answer. Get the job done and you won't need to sleep with one eye open. Or, you can print out this thread and use it as your defense in court..."But your honour, my fishing buds told me it was ok!" just won't cut it.

As Mike Holmes would say...."It's against the code".... :whistling:

Heard that so many times watching his show I was convinced everything was against the "code" in Ontario....permit required to open the window.... :rolleyes:

My house, my land, I pay the taxes.....but everyone else tells you what you can and cannot do....that's when you realize you have too much government... :wallbash:

And something else to know is that if the municipality tells you that you need a permit, it still doesn't oblige you to get one. It simply determines what time of the day you have to get the work done and how fast you have to do it. :)

While wearing night vision goggles!!! :lol:

many years ago I had a great friend for a neighbour five house or so away (still a good friend). On Saturdays and Sundays I heard saws and hammers, once this thing broke over the fences I went over, slowly walked up behind him (him on a ladder) "Sir, do you have permit for this"

he froze and looked back . . . Man those Greeks can rattle off fine words I didn't understand.

Karma comes back, I was in my yard burning scrap wood in steel pail, I turned around and there stood a man in a fireman's uniform. The first thiing that came to mind "are you selling tickets to the ball" NO SIR, it's about the smoke/smell, what smoke it's wood burning. . . I wasn't going to win this one at least for now. I was also pround owner of a large outdoor brick BBQ, Asked the fine man that next time I would burn my wood in that and have some meat nearby, We just laughed it off, as he had to respond to the call and then I questioned the $$$ another good laugh!

Pull up your local municipalites website and you might give that some more thought. Life ain't what it use to be. Hell I think Temagami requires a building permit just to change a window! All renovations require a permit, re- roofing requires a permit.. the list goes on and on...

LOL....if thats the case I sure hope they don't come by my place :whistling:

I got permits for my deck, basement, and Firemplace install...not in that order, but none the less.

If I needed one for the Sideing and roofing they can come kiss my :asshat:

Surprised I don't need a permit to get a permit these days.

But in all seriousness I could't find any documentation requireing a permit to reshingle a roof or lay siding?

Here's an a clip from the Waterloo region building office:

The Building Code states that a building permit is not required for a "detached accessory" structure measuring 10 m2 (107 square feet) in area or less. (Keep in mind that although you might not need a building permit for your renovation project, you still must comply with zoning by-law and building code requirements.) Here are some types of

Examples that DO require building permits in the City of Waterloo:

Construction of any new building or structure on your property

Demolition of a building or structure on your property

excavating or constructing a foundation

renovation or converting an existing building (change of use and occupancy)

additions

attached or detached garages

installation or changes to plumbing

material alterations, additions or repairs to a building

decks (greater than 2 ft above grade)

pools

hot tubs

sunrooms

porches

sheds (greater then 108 ft.sq)

carports

dormers

new or structural alterations to windows and doors

adding or removing most walls

new fireplaces

basement or main floor walkouts

backflow prevention device

The following examples DO NOT require building permits in the City of Waterloo:

a detached shed that is 10’ x 10’ or less,

a fence (ie. chain link, wood, wrought iron),

removing the kitchen cupboards and replacing with new cupboards,

installing new shingles on existing roof,

replacing a fixture (ie. toilet, bathtub or sink) with a new fixture

Nothing about Sideing???.....Shingles are cool, but You'd need to call about the sideing I guess :dunno:

All you have to do is ask your neighbors. As long as they are cool with what your doing, chances are nobody else will know, or care. If your neighbors aren't into it, good luck.

You don't need a permit to repair existing.

S.

Shingles and siding are fine no permit needed for replacing them.

The only time permits are needed for that type of work is when it becomes structural. If you want to replace the poles in the shed then yes you will need a permit.

Really you will be opening a can of worms. 1. You will have to provide a site plan showing your lot, allowances to lot lines, size of the construction. 2. a multy view drawing of the building that you plan on renovating with accurate measurements and brief explanation of how you plan on doing the construction. Not every building department is the same but that's the basic idea...

Many times old out buildings, decks and porches where just thrown up and the footings/foundation.... didn't really exist. It ends up being pretty much a rebuild by the time your done.

My suggestion would be to reinforce the framing, maybe add some extra posts? (hard to invasion what you have for sure)

or try to do it with out the permit and see if you get caught...