cooks bay lake simco

lxt

I was out there yesterday on Cooks Bay. Much of the rest of the lake is not safe yet.

3 1/2" of solid very hard ice. Lots of noise as it was making ice all day & with last nights cold I would guess it would have added close to an other inch +.

Fished straight out from Gilford in 13 1/2 fow & the bite was non-stop.

For the day myself & a buddy must of caught close to 500 perch.

Most in the 6"- 8" range with a few bigger ones including a 13 1/2" one George got.

Yesterday it didn't matter what you threw at them as they hit everything we tried.

I mostly stayed with different jigs as minnows were not needed & I didn't have to keep re-baiting.

We both brought enough of the larger ones home for a good meal.

We also caught about 5 herring each all between 14"- 16". Don't confuse these with whitefish as the season for herring is closed on Simcoe.

Best Wishes: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

I was out there yesterday on Cooks Bay. Much of the rest of the lake is not safe yet.

3 1/2" of solid very hard ice. Lots of noise as it was making ice all day & with last nights cold I would guess it would have added close to an other inch +.

Fished straight out from Gilford in 13 1/2 fow & the bite was non-stop.

For the day myself & a buddy must of caught close to 500 perch.

Most in the 6"- 8" range with a few bigger ones including a 13 1/2" one George got.

Yesterday it didn't matter what you threw at them as they hit everything we tried.

I mostly stayed with different jigs as minnows were not needed & I didn't have to keep re-baiting.

We both brought enough of the larger ones home for a good meal.

We also caught about 5 herring each all between 14"- 16". Don't confuse these with whitefish as the season for herring is closed on Simcoe.

Best Wishes: Rick

thanks alot rick your advise will help me out alot.

I was out today. I caught some tank perch. 10 over ten inches with the biggest at 13. And about 150 under ten inches went back down the hole. I wouldent venture further north than gillford. Lefroy was open water yesterday @4pm. Today @ 4pm its 1/2 inch of ice as far as the eye can see out into the main lake basin.

Its all about comfort and if your not a local or familliar with the lake and icepatterns i cant blame you.... My rule rule of thumb for snowmachines is six inches. And foot travel is min is 3 with 4 bieng exponentialy more comfortable. No idea on the canal sorry. Whatever you do do not go much north of hwy 89

Anyone happen to know if Canal has any ice on it yet?

I walked on Canal Saturday to check ice but didnt fish it. 6-10 inches of ice on the n-w side of the lake, going east toward the causeway/island less. The depth where I checked was 4 FOW or less. On Friday there was alot of open water in the current areas near the causeway and along the channel, much closed up by Sunday.

I was out yesterday with a friend. Think we were the farthest north in about 30 fow. A good 4 inches of ice and lots of perch. The ice was awful noisy until about 11am. That one wave that came through at about 10:30am and shifted the ice about 2-3 feet was a little nerve racking LOL... :w00t: Good to be back on simcoe.

I walked on Canal Saturday to check ice but didnt fish it. 6-10 inches of ice on the n-w side of the lake, going east toward the causeway/island less. The depth where I checked was 4 FOW or less. On Friday there was alot of open water in the current areas near the causeway and along the channel, much closed up by Sunday.

Is there any public access up that way? The only public access I know is on Centennial Park rd. You think the little deep pockets are frozen over enough?

I was out front of southshore centre a couple of years back doing the charity event on Kempenfelt Bay when the loudest rumble I ever heard went through. All 867 people with me let out a big gasp, and then a whole bunch of laughter

Oh yah, I remember that. I've been icefishing for a number of years now and that was by far the loudest rumble - not only that, it felt like the ice dropped about half a foot and came back up. It was crazy. I remember the fishing completely died off after that!

Is there any public access up that way? The only public access I know is on Centennial Park rd. You think the little deep pockets are frozen over enough?

I was at a rental cottage there and dont really know the lake or access points. That's why I was out testing ice. Closer to the causeway and current areas was open on Friday so there wouldnt be much ice where it did freeze over.