Rapala cordless electric fillet knives?

lookinforwalleye

thumbsup_anim.gif

i GOT ONE FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR.

It comes with 2 blades. 2 batteries, and charged fast, 2 hours.

i used it to carve the turkeyclapping.gif and had lots of power left over to cut up the bread, and remove all the meat from the bones for soup.

Comfortable to handle, and not too heavy.

I'm curious to see what responses you get. I have the rapala that is NOT cordless and love it. I personally have steered clear of the cordless because I figure it is just one more thing to go wrong. I clean hundreds and hundreds of fish every year and I have always been concerned that the cordless battery would give up the ghost long before the knife blades.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I recommend this cordless model...... :)

Filletknifes004.jpg

The top one need replacement due to thousands of fish cleaned and kept razor sharp. I guess I'm just old school on knifes...I must have at least a half dozen Rapala fillet knifes and one off brand I purchased in 1975 at the Toronto Sportsmen Show. But that one is only used for skinning. I can't see spending the money on a electric knife when I can get several conventional fillet knifes and still have money left over for boat gas.

I recommend this cordless model...... :)

Filletknifes004.jpg

The top one need replacement due to thousands of fish cleaned and kept razor sharp. I guess I'm just old school on knifes...I must have at least a half dozen Rapala fillet knifes and one off brand I purchased in 1975 at the Toronto Sportsmen Show. But that one is only used for skinning. I can't see spending the money on a electric knife when I can get several conventional fillet knifes and still have money left over for boat gas.

Good one! I have a couple of those too. I also have a couple more.....one is a cheapy model that costs about 75 cents and another which I found over 30 years ago. It's gotten to a point where I don't really care what I use for fileting fish....I can get the job done with any sharp knife. I even use my pocket knife if I have to. I also leave those tiny perpendicular bones that are found on trout and walleye. Other people just go through them because they are usually not noticed when the filet is cooked....except when the fish is very large.

I'm curious to see what responses you get. I have the rapala that is NOT cordless and love it. I personally have steered clear of the cordless because I figure it is just one more thing to go wrong. I clean hundreds and hundreds of fish every year and I have always been concerned that the cordless battery would give up the ghost long before the knife blades.

The key to battery life is to discharge the battery COMPLETELY, after every use, then do a complete recharge for next time.

Replacement batteries are around 20 bucks.

I can't see spending the money on a electric knife when I can get several conventional fillet knifes and still have money left over for boat gas.

You sound like me before I got an Electric as a Xmas gift from my son. Gave it a go only because it was a gift. I always enjoyed cleaning fish so it was never a priority to go electric. But I gotta tell you Bob...it is the way to go for panfish and perch. I got 3 rapalas like yours collecting dust now. As far as the extra $$$$. If you consider the time you spend caring for the blade on your knife I'd gladly pay a little more. I'm on my 4th year with my electric. Give it a wipe and put it away until next time.

All I know is if my electric died I'd have it replaced immediately with another.

The key to battery life is to discharge the battery COMPLETELY, after every use, then do a complete recharge for next time.

YEP....that is the key......my razor is cordless and it last 2-3 weeks and I always draw it down until dead.

I love cordless stuff....I even has a small cordless 5" circular saw that comes in handy on small jobs and is priceless when building tree stands...but I can fillet fish just as fast or most time much faster then electric fillet knife guy....and that same knife can be used for a lot more things then fillet fish.

But if your better with a electric fillet knife, then plug her in and Get 'R Done.....because the sooner we're done, the sooner we can cook em up.... :)

And pray do tell where did you learn this? And don't be telling me a friend of your Uncle Tony or anything like that. How about something technical.

And pray do tell where did you learn this? And don't be telling me a friend of your Uncle Tony or anything like that. How about something technical.

Actually i just learned something about nicad batteries.They have to be almost fully discharged, to avoid the memory effect

http://www.hardwares...m/article/292/2

paul

oops to slow. Bob found it firstblush.gif

Edited by mercman

Heres one for you since its gadget talking time , i have this other brother who ever since he was a kid love to watch machines work , so every time he played he pretented he was some kind of a machine , drove me nuts to watch him . To day i own the construction company and since this that perticulure brother has always wanted to help me by running my machines . I let him try a few time under my watch full eye , put every one knows once you see him that he is just an accident waiting to happen so running my machine does'nt happen very often PLUS who wants to watch a growen man make machine noise's out his mouth running a 550 bull dozer , but he never stops trying to get on them . This year i thought i'd give him the altilment gift for Christmas and give him his own machine that he can run and not get in to trouble next time he ask . Out in the shop i found a square mouth shovel with a broken handle and atached it to and old weed eater we don't use any more and gave it to him on christmas day all wraped up . You never seen a guy or a bunch of people laugh so hard . I think the silly bugger loves the stupid thing and i am just waitting to see him try to use it . Need one of thease BILLY BOB , maybe in a cordless ? ................... LOL

There's the crucial part where you are wrong, every Complete discharge takes "1 life cycle" out of the battery and the problem is with NiCds, you don't know with a VOM how "dead" or discharged the battery is. Some electronic gadgets have a "time to recharge" feature, things like an electric knife don't. So you kill the batteries each time a little more when in actual fact a deep discharge may only be needed maybe 1 in every 10 cycles. I used NiCds over the years with model flying, you learn really really quickly how to screw things up at your own expense.

Present day you will find more and more NiMH rechargables, they don't develop memory and don't use Cadmium (bad heavy metal).

You have to read all 4 pages of the link to get the whole truth.

There's the crucial part where you are wrong, every Complete discharge takes "1 life cycle" out of the battery and the problem is with NiCds, you don't know with a VOM how "dead" or discharged the battery is. Some electronic gadgets have a "time to recharge" feature, things like an electric knife don't. So you kill the batteries each time a little more when in actual fact a deep discharge may only be needed maybe 1 in every 10 cycles. I used NiCds over the years with model flying, you learn really really quickly how to screw things up at your own expense.

Present day you will find more and more NiMH rechargables, they don't develop memory and don't use Cadmium (bad heavy metal).

You have to read all 4 pages of the link to get the whole truth.

Thats good to know. i like learning new things, thanksclapping.gif I read the first page and went yadda,yadda, yadda for the rest.

Now, I have been cleaning fish for better than 50 years and I do a pretty good job of it and don't waste any time! I have a knife that cost in excess of $100.00 and I love it. My mother-in-law bought it for me years ago.

About two years ago CPH and I went crappie fishing and came home with a nice catch of slabs. He pulled out his electric knife and I pulled out my really expensive one and we went to work.

He was easily cleaning three to my one and doing just as good a job. The very next day I went to CTC and bought one (I too didn't get the cordless model). I have to tell you I love it!!!!! I can easily clean 3:1 from what I use to do and actually find it much easier to use than a regular filleting knife.

So, all you die hard guys that insist on doing things old school, well a buck saw did a good job until chain saws came along but if you insist on doing things old school good for you, me, I'll move along with technology thanks. I guess you can teach some old dogs new tricks but others; well, lets just leave it at that! :whistling:

I have a Rapala electric knife and I hate it. I can't recall if it's the cordless model or not though. I found it way too heavy and bulky.

I went back to a nice sharp fillet knife. I really don't think anything is better.

If you really want an electric knife just get a cheap one from Hamilton Beach or something. That's what I used before I purchased the Rapala model. The $15 cheapo worked just fine, but the blades are a bit thicker (which is the reason I picked up the Rapala when it was on sale).