AtV question from a virgin (NF)

captpierre

Need some advice, please. Never owned or used an ATV. Have a cottage now with lots of trails around. Also, I'ld like to cut fallen trees in the area for firewood so might get a small trailer to tow. A buddy of mine has a 2005 Honda 300 4X4 he wants to sell in good condition. Air cooled. Has an extra seat bolted on the back rack. I am not a speed demon (own a Yammy 115 on an 18 ft Lund). Would this Honda be a good choice to ride the local trails -sometimes with the wifey on the back. There are lots of inland lakes around too that deserve a cast. Does Honda make a good machine? Is 300 cc enough?

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Edited by captpierre

Having sex isn't required to own an ATV... sarcasm.gif

300 cc is a bit weak if you are doing any serious mudding or hills or plowing etc... but other than that this sounds like a good machine to start with and for accessing back trails. Fan-cooled means less weight and generally less maintenance. If it's a good price I say buy it, you'll have access to many lakes you previously didn't.

Need some advice, please. Never owned or used an ATV. Have a cottage now with lots of trails around. Also, I'ld like to cut fallen trees in the area for firewood so might get a small trailer to tow. A buddy of mine has a 2005 Honda 300 4X4 he wants to sell in good condition. Air cooled. Has an extra seat bolted on the back rack. I am not a speed demon (own a Yammy 115 on an 18 ft Lund). Would this Honda be a good choice to ride the local trails -sometimes with the wifey on the back. There are lots of inland lakes around too that deserve a cast. Does Honda make a good machine? Is 300 cc enough?

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Pull logs around in low gear, yes, riding 2 on a small machine, na, you're going to kill it, motor/transmission and weight wise, it's not meant for that.

Pull logs around in low gear, yes, riding 2 on a small machine, na, you're going to kill it, motor/transmission and weight wise, it's not meant for that.

It's a great machine. The strongest machine ever made was a small Suzuki 250 cc don't let yourself be tricked into buying something with a huge engin. The strength of these small vehicles is in the transmission ratios. Yes, you will be changing transmission speeds more often and you may not go faster than 50 mph. If you do decide to change for another machine, you can sell the Honda for the same price you paid for it....almost.

We have one up at the lodge that has been around for many years and it's still running just fine. We use it for getting around and for hauling luggage/freight etc. We have a 2 axle heavy duty trailer that we can load 4 barrels of fuel on and it hauls just fine.

That's 1,600 pounds of fuel + the weight of the barrels and trailer.

So yest they are quite capable and very reliable.

Ya cant go wrong with a Honda. 300 is a tad on the small side, but if you dont want to push snow or go mud boggin with it you dont need anything bigger then a 300. It will pull a small trailer loaded with firewood just fine. Good luck and yes Hondas are great machines

Those 300 hondas are pretty well bullet proof , I've put one through years of mud , water, trees , rocks you name it, it was through it and that machine never let me down once ! I sank it once it a water hole .... Pulled it out let it sit for 5 mins and it fired back up and rode it the rest of the weekend. And if your buddy has owned it you at least know where it's been .

I have a real old one that I use around my cottage hauling wood and stuff.

Great buggy for that.

Bulletproof except for brakes. They suck.

Also, these are not built for two.

They can be downright dangerous with the second seat.

Not recommended for that.

They have more than enough power to flip over backwards.

Edited by Bernie

I'm shocked no one has told you that to press the gas you use your thumb... :whistling:

Honda does make a great product and there are a few here who are willing to buy it if you aren't. That's got to tell you something about it.