OOS fish pics

Master of Bait

Why do we have to go through this?

It is illegal to POSSESS fish that are OOS. Possession is placing a fish or retaining a fish so that it is reasonable to assume an immediate release is not intended.

If it were illegal to take a picture of an OOS, it would also be illegal to take pictures of fish that are NOT IN THE SLOT! How many pictures have you taken of musky that were not legal for possession????

There has not been a single charge laid for someone snapping a quick picture of a fish that was OOS where the fish was released right after.

Also remember there are many places in Ontario where bass and walleye are open all year. There are open all year right here in my area. Next year they won't be.

and that about sums it up right there. :thumbsup_anim:

one thing though, is it against board rules to post pics of fish that are in season, but not legal to keep due to slot regulations?

DanC, it is illegal to fish for spawning fish, so the taking of pictures would be the lest of his problems

and in this neck of the woods most honest people will tell you that most OOS fish are caught well before the spawn when they come in to eat after winter and while fishing for in season fish the OOS fish get caught because they are eatting not spawning... the OOS fish equals spawning fish is crap ..bass are out of season for well over half the year but only spawn for a few weeks..so statements of OOS = spawning fish are from misinformed people or people trying bending the truth to prove a point

I will bet that I have not caught an OOS fish that was spawning in over 20 years, but have caught lots of oos fish while fishing for legal fish............

The difference, as I see it Rick is that OOS fish are most likely spawning, congregated and vulnerable. An out of slot fish can be caught at any time during the open season, and it's immediate release is less of a concern. Legal or not, release any OOS fish asap without a photo IMHO. If there's any time that we should not bother them, it's when they are reproducing. The future of fishing depends on it.

Master of Bait, I do believe that it's my turn to apologize to you on behalf of some of the members of this board.

As for calling Muskies Canada for them to put up a sign begause there are "probably a bunch of them lying around"...I think that there are enough MCI people on this board that there shouldn't need to be a phone call made.

Again, you did good MoB.

..and I was begining to think it wasn't April....but we've proved that for the 4th year in a row here now. (my MNR letter is even dated April 10th lol)

And what Roy said and MoB, I'm sorry I joined the "band wagon".

Edited by irishfield

Master of Bait, not to worry, but we all appreciate your attitude.

It is not against the rules of this board to post oos fish pics. 'We would prefer that you don't', mainly because of this crap.

On the other hand, this is always a good argument. No it's not, it's a discussion. It is not a discussion, very clearly an argument. Oh yeah? Well let's take this one outside, jerk. Want some, goof?

Hilarity ensues.

Ok I will not post pics of OOS fish.If the Quebec regulations do not state no picture taking, would I be aloud to post a Pic on this site.

Every year I accidently hook into bass usually take a quick pic if its a decent size.

Just looked in the rules for Quebec.That rule is not there unless I did not find it.

undefined

I betcha that right here on my hard drive I have 200 pictures of under legal sized muskies caught, photoed and prehaps released by guides. I'm tired of this argument. By the way, most are membrs of the same Bearers of the Standard for Muskies club. Give me a break.

I always look forward to the April OOS fish argument thread too DouG. Makes for easy reading and passes some time :jerry:

Joey

Joey glad we have this thread i have six inches of snow outside and I am supposed to take my boat out of storage this weekend.We won't see any out of season pics because were still in the wrong season.I am not sure I will be seeing ice out in 2 weeks on my chosen lake.Its still snowing like mad. :wallbash:

:jerry::spam::w00t:

Rick is correct.

An out of season fish is not a spawning fish.

4 years ago we went to Dalrympal and caught 50 bass on the pike openor.

We fished from 2-15 feet ...they were everywhere. We moved constantly and always hooked up on them.

Water temp was 52........ this coincides with the first pre spawn feeding binge of largemouths.

This does not make us poachers but victims of timing. Largemouth spawn when the temps approach 65.

Pictures were taken as we unhooked many largemouths.

Fish were released as soon as possible.

People should vent on the low lifes that do this on purpose, IE: using no leader on June 5th while "fishing" for muskies.

People need to chill out and not think that everyone is out raping the resource. Odds say that if the post here there most likely law abiding anglers.

Give the guy or girl some credit.

Sorry bu this topic gets my hackles up.

On a similar note, and I'm serious here, does anyone think the bass population is starting to get out of control? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Joey

They're out of control up here Joey. Darn things are everywhere and nobody fishes for them. Seriously. I can't remember ever hearing anyone that I know saying that they're "going for bass" this weekend. Or Pike for that matter. There's tons of both up here but few people target them.

On a similar note, and I'm serious here, does anyone think the bass population is starting to get out of control? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Joey

Excellent segue there Joey. Bass population in the Kawarthas is growing too.

By the way, I drink my coffee black, those who drink it with milk or cream may as well be poachers......and I like console vs. tiller, so sue me.