6/8 person ice shelter - seeking reviews/advice

Pikeslayer

Hey All,

Wondering if any of yuze can provide some reviews/advice/insight on 6/8 person ice shelters. I see that there are a couple of Rapala set ups on sale @ Gagnons & CTC but they appear to have minimal thermal qualities. As well, doing some online research for these bigger set ups, I can't seem to find any manufactures that do offer higher quality 'thermal' covering (maybe because of weight?).

Here's some additional information relative to what I am looking for;

• Typically, there are 3-5 full size adults on day outings.
  • We are typically out 3 out of 4 weekends.
  • We fish shallower water close to shore (1-2 km).
  • No sleds, we walk.
  • We will probably venture (via SUV) out to deeper waters on Simcoe later in the season.
  • Last year, we collectively spent $600+ on ice shack rentals.
  • Will also invest in portable propane heater & auger.
  • We all do have good quality boots and thermal outerwear.

So $$$ aside, my main concern with the larger shelters is their thermal properties as well as their larger 'profile'. I'm curious to know;

• Will they maintain heat @ a comfortable level? i.e above 0 C.
  • Do they hold up to significant/sustained winds?

With regards to the above 2 questions, we will certainly be 'selective' regarding weather/wind/temps. I am not remotely interested in fishing in -15/20 C and heavy winds.

I think a reasonable budget for shelter, propane heater & power auger would be in the range of $800 for new/sale priced items (less for used).

I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

Regards,

Slayer

You would do best with a quality large hub shelter for your needs.

Most of the hub shelters have thin 300 denier material but the Clam Command Post and Cabelas Ice Team both have 600 denier fabric which is twice as thick. Look closely at the specifications before you spend your $$$.

I have one of the Sub Zero 2-3 man hubs to use early season and it has thicker material and is pretty warm. I heat with a 14,000 btu tank top heater and stay pretty warm even in brutal arctic temps. Here is a shot from last year early ice with ambient temps of -30C and -40 windchills. As you can see I'm not even wearing my coat. :w00t:

PB200198.jpg

Look at grabbing one of those Rapala gas augers they have on sale at CTC as it's a really good deal.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have one of the Sub Zero 2-3 man hubs to use early season and it has thicker material and is pretty warm. I heat with a 14,000 btu tank top heater and stay pretty warm even in brutal arctic temps. Here is a shot from last year early ice with ambient temps of -30C and -40 windchills. As you can see I'm not even wearing my coat. :w00t:

PB200198.jpg

Interesting colouration on that fish, if not for the place and time I would have guessed it was a Laker backcross Splake of 20 or so years ago on one of the Georgian Bay Tribs in the fall.

Hey All,

Wondering if any of yuze can provide some reviews/advice/insight on 6/8 person ice shelters. I see that there are a couple of Rapala set ups on sale @ Gagnons & CTC but they appear to have minimal thermal qualities. As well, doing some online research for these bigger set ups, I can't seem to find any manufactures that do offer higher quality 'thermal' covering (maybe because of weight?).

Here's some additional information relative to what I am looking for;

• Typically, there are 3-5 full size adults on day outings.
  • We are typically out 3 out of 4 weekends.
  • We fish shallower water close to shore (1-2 km).
  • No sleds, we walk.
  • We will probably venture (via SUV) out to deeper waters on Simcoe later in the season.
  • Last year, we collectively spent $600+ on ice shack rentals.
  • Will also invest in portable propane heater & auger.
  • We all do have good quality boots and thermal outerwear.

So $$$ aside, my main concern with the larger shelters is their thermal properties as well as their larger 'profile'. I'm curious to know;

• Will they maintain heat @ a comfortable level? i.e above 0 C.
  • Do they hold up to significant/sustained winds?

With regards to the above 2 questions, we will certainly be 'selective' regarding weather/wind/temps. I am not remotely interested in fishing in -15/20 C and heavy winds.

I think a reasonable budget for shelter, propane heater & power auger would be in the range of $800 for new/sale priced items (less for used).

I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

Regards,

Slayer

3 to 5 people.....that's a lot of people to pile into a portable hut. I have a 3 or 4 man hut and it's comfortable with 2 people. 3 people is crowding things quite a bit. Yes....I could cram 4 people inside the hut but there would be no place to fish, no holes in the ice and the heater would be in the middle and all the baggage would be outside.

I think you would be better off buying 2 pop up huts and a pair of walkie-talkies.

No such thing as thermal properties when it comes to huts. They block the wind and try to trap as much heat as possible. 300 denier or 500 denier....I doubt there is any difference in heat retention.

I use a 5000 btu heater and I leave it on max. It eats a 1 lb bottle of propane in about 3 hours maybe a bit less. However, I can fish inside the hut without gloves and I can loosen my coat etc when it's -20 C and windy outside. If you plan to have 4 or 5 people inside 1 hut, that mean's that everyone will be fishing outside. This will also mean that there will often be opening and closing the zippered entry.

All the huts made by the major companies hold up well against the wind. I've set up mine in 30 to 40 km/h winds when alone and had no real problem.

Wow....over 1 km is quite a haul. That is close to 1/2 mile. At least a 20 minute walk at a pretty brisk pace.

If you are not planning to out fishing when the weather is colder than -15 with heavy winds....do you really need a pup up hut?

Edited by Dabluz

Thanks for the replies and advice. We went shopping yesterday (to Gagnon's) and Christmas came early :clapping:.

A big thanks to Mike (the bass fisher) for the PM's regarding availability & pricing. Too bad you weren't working, would of been nice to meet. Dave (dmasse) & Justin did a great job filling in for you.

You would do best with a quality large hub shelter for your needs.

Most of the hub shelters have thin 300 denier material but the Clam Command Post and Cabelas Ice Team both have 600 denier fabric which is twice as thick. Look closely at the specifications before you spend your $.

Look at grabbing one of those Rapala gas augers they have on sale at CTC as it's a really good deal.

Thanks Dave. We spent the extra $ and went with the Clam Command Post Thermal and I did manage to get one of the Rapala augers :thumbsup_anim: as well as a tank top heater (10 -15K btu).

8849-command-post-thermal.jpg

I wouldn't be bringing something like that out on Simcoe if you plan on running and gunning for whities.. You'd spend more time putting it up and breaking it out than fishing.

True Bill. The plan is to put up the shelter on the 'perch grounds' and leave the 'outlaws' there while my son/son-in-law & I go runnin & gunnin for whities.

I can't help you with what to get Slayer, however I'd be glad to "help" you set it up some time whatever you get! ;) ...I'll bring the sonar and manual auger! :thumbsup_anim:

Leave the manual auger at home Craig. But don't forget the bananas :whistling:

3 to 5 people.....that's a lot of people to pile into a portable hut. I have a 3 or 4 man hut and it's comfortable with 2 people. 3 people is crowding things quite a bit. Yes....I could cram 4 people inside the hut but there would be no place to fish, no holes in the ice and the heater would be in the middle and all the baggage would be outside.

I think you would be better off buying 2 pop up huts and a pair of walkie-talkies.

No such thing as thermal properties when it comes to huts. They block the wind and try to trap as much heat as possible. 300 denier or 500 denier....I doubt there is any difference in heat retention.

I use a 5000 btu heater and I leave it on max. It eats a 1 lb bottle of propane in about 3 hours maybe a bit less. However, I can fish inside the hut without gloves and I can loosen my coat etc when it's -20 C and windy outside. If you plan to have 4 or 5 people inside 1 hut, that mean's that everyone will be fishing outside. This will also mean that there will often be opening and closing the zippered entry.

All the huts made by the major companies hold up well against the wind. I've set up mine in 30 to 40 km/h winds when alone and had no real problem.

Wow....over 1 km is quite a haul. That is close to 1/2 mile. At least a 20 minute walk at a pretty brisk pace.

If you are not planning to out fishing when the weather is colder than -15 with heavy winds....do you really need a pup up hut?

We set up the CP in the garage complete with folding chairs. Tons of room for 4, enough for 5/6 in the rare event we have that number. Seriously, I could put this shelter on top of my Veracruz and cover it completely. Very happy with the space (6' x 12' base & lowest ceiling height is 6'). As far as the walk, I think our 'fishing party' would benefit from the exercise :rolleyes:.

We are now good to go and eagerly awaiting the ice. Thx again.

Simon

Edited by pikeslayer

1 place for you, one for Simon, one for his son, one for yous, and the rest of the places are for me.

I need alot of elbow room when i'm reelin in the bigunswhistling.gif

is that cause you are running around like a school girl screaming that you in fact have a fish on the line? :rofl2: