Another view of the Attawapiskat

ehg

I read that yesterday, I found it very interesting and informative. It explains that side alot better than I had previously understood. I still do not understand the majority of the issues and quite honestly do not have the time to but this is a good short valuable read.

I read that yesterday, I found it very interesting and informative. It explains that side alot better than I had previously understood. I still do not understand the majority of the issues and quite honestly do not have the time to but this is a good short valuable read.

well that is one side of the story

the government has the other side

and somewhere down the middle is the truth

Thanks for the thoughtful replies...

After seeing the amazing fish reports from area

was interesting to read a different perspective of the place.

Edited by ehg

True, it is located on the coast but that does not diminish the issues they are having there.

The lodges are in between Attawapiskat and Lansdowne House (another native community).

Here is some more info on Attawapiskatt that may interest y'all. ;)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=attawapiskat_residents_recei_011211?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

There is a detailed analysis of "where" the money went posted online for all to see. Let's put it this way... The government spent more on gazebos for the g20 than it has on housing in attawapiskat in the last 5 years. In my eyes it is nothing less than criminal that there will be children sleeping in a tent tonight, and there's NO argument from the conservatives that will justify that.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

at christmas time we are often shown shocking videos of 3rd world children, who because of circumstances beyond their control are lucky if they have a meal at christmas, let alone all of the decadent presents we will be sharing with our families. at this point it is no shock that we have people living in 3rd world conditions right in our own country and there's no excuse for that.

True, it is located on the coast but that does not diminish the issues they are having there.

The lodges are in between Attawapiskat and Lansdowne House (another native community).

Here is some more info on Attawapiskatt that may interest y'all. ;)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=attawapiskat_residents_recei_011211?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories

No intention to minimize the situation. As someone who was near the area this September it was a misunderstanding I had myself.

Thanks for the read. I myself have been quite interested in this topic, and have been watching it develop.

Dr. Sal, I agree with the points you made.

I am a little dissappointed in how many seem to think this 90 million figure is just money handed to them (the reservations) to do whatever they so choose with it. Very ignorant statements being thrown around by alot of people, unfortunately. A lot of racial issues being brought up as well.

But with all the bull set aside, very sad to see HUMANS suffering like this, in our country, or elsewhere.

And we wonder why people grow up with serious issues, mentally, physically etc. If they even survive to be adults

Sad...

Edited by aplumma
no mock cussing please

Couple things.....

Dr Sal did hit that nail several times.

Last night I watched John Duncan---minister for Indian affairs say to the world that Charlie Angus NDP for attawapiskat region should have brought this up sooner

This is a crock-----I personally watched Angus bring up the Attawapiskat issues on numerous occasions for the last couple YEARS in question period.

I lived on Northern reserves back in the late 70's early 80's working for the Hudson's Bay Co.

One being Black Lake< Sask. up near Uranium city----one thing I recall is the town maintenance worker coming and dumping javex bleach into the town's drinking water to purify it---ta da---guess we're good

This is not a new story and emotions run high on both sides----education and understanding is what is needed.

That's bout as nice as I can say this.

I have been watching this very closely too. I say a BIG thank-you to the Canadian Red Cross for airing the goverments dirty laundry, and bringing to light the situation at hand. It sickens me to think this is in Canada. There is no excuse for these living conditions. Does anyone know how much longer untill the ice road is passable to get supplies in there?

at christmas time we are often shown shocking videos of 3rd world children, who because of circumstances beyond their control are lucky if they have a meal at christmas, let alone all of the decadent presents we will be sharing with our families. at this point it is no shock that we have people living in 3rd world conditions right in our own country and there's no excuse for that.

Great reply Dr. Sal. With the riches plundered from area their is no excuse not to share.

It is further 'corporatism' without care.

Thanks for the read. I myself have been quite interested in this topic, and have been watching it develop.

Dr. Sal, I agree with the points you made.

I am a little dissappointed in how many seem to think this 90 million figure is just money handed to them (the reservations) to do whatever they so choose with it. Very ignorant statements being thrown around by alot of people, unfortunately. A lot of racial issues being brought up as well.

But with all the bull **** set aside, very sad to see HUMANS suffering like this, in our country, or elsewhere.

And we wonder why people grow up with serious issues, mentally, physically etc. If they even survive to be adults

Sad...

Yup, further Bull, racism and pillaging so the rich get richer and the original people suffer still 300 yrs. later.

Couple things.....

Dr Sal did hit that nail several times.

Last night I watched John Duncan---minister for Indian affairs say to the world that Charlie Angus NDP for attawapiskat region should have brought this up sooner

This is a crock-----I personally watched Angus bring up the Attawapiskat issues on numerous occasions for the last couple YEARS in question period.

I lived on Northern reserves back in the late 70's early 80's working for the Hudson's Bay Co.

One being Black Lake< Sask. up near Uranium city----one thing I recall is the town maintenance worker coming and dumping javex bleach into the town's drinking water to purify it---ta da---guess we're good

This is not a new story and emotions run high on both sides----education and understanding is what is needed.

That's bout as nice as I can say this.

Thanks for sharing your experience Bushart.

Keep those paintings in flow...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i should add that despite criticizing the federal cons over the matter, the systemic failure plaguing our northern areas have long been propogated by members of all political stripes. this is not a partisan issue and i don't want it to be any longer. it's time mp angus and minister duncan cease the political posturing and accomplish immediate and long term action plans. i don't claim to know the solutions, but i demand more of my political leaders than to turn a humanitarian crisis into partisan politics.

the cons need to step up to the plate, defy their image, and be the party that sets in motion legitimate change for first nations peoples in the north and elsewhere. the lefties need to stop throwing around petty insults like "racist" and "colonial". every knows the dark history our country has with first nations leading up to this point, but extreme opinions on both sides are standing in the way of a people who don't care who delivers it, they just need help.

i should add that despite criticizing the federal cons over the matter, the systemic failure plaguing our northern areas have long been propogated by members of all political stripes.

Fully in agreement with you. It goes beyond political views this is a HUMAN problem that somehow exists in what is seen as the greatest and fairest country of the world. By remaining indifferent followed by silence is the greatest sin.

ehg

Great reply Dr. Sal. With the riches plundered from area their is no excuse not to share.

It is further 'corporatism' without care.

Yup, further Bull, racism and pillaging so the rich get richer and the original people suffer still 300 yrs. later.

Thanks for sharing your experience Bushart.

Keep those paintings in flow...

I find myself agreeing with most here... and do let it be known that I do not have any first hand experience with this or any other similar situation, I'm just a regular Joe, who goes to work, pays his taxes and tries to do good by my family and friends... but one line in this comment has me yet again shaking my head...

"Yup, further Bull, racism and pillaging so the rich get richer and the original people suffer still 300 yrs. later."

Three hundred years later and we are still dealing with ths same nonsense... it would seem that we could probably stay the course for another three hundred years and what will change? Where's the "win"?!

I simply don't get it! Is money the answer? Has that proven to be the solution in other similar situations?

It's all fine and dandy for us to point fingers, but wouldn't a viable solution that everyone can "live" with be a better option than 300 more years of this!

I wish I had that answer!

HH

One of the issues is ----your trying to change and adapt a culture in just over a century that lived that lifestyle since the dawn of time----not an easy task

gets harder and more confusing as well now when technological change reaches those once remote areas and the young people attempt to imitate what is beamed across the airwaves.

Ongoing also is the lands promised under treaty which were once too remote to mean anything---suddenly have resource value----ooopps

So in a nutshell-----no easy answers.

Maybe I should also mention...

My step father was a Delaware band member from outside Chatham

I used to spend lots of time fishin on the Grand River in 6 Nations as a kid

And of course my time on the reserves in the north

My good friend is currently Chief of the Wabaskang band council at Ear Falls

My daughter studies these issues at Ottawa University

soooo----I probably have a pretty good reason to be interested---still not easy to answer though

one line in this comment has me yet again shaking my head...

"Yup, further Bull, racism and pillaging so the rich get richer and the original people suffer still 300 yrs. later."

Three hundred years later and we are still dealing with ths same nonsense... it would seem that we could probably stay the course for another three hundred years and what will change? Where's the "win"?!

I simply don't get it! Is money the answer? Has that proven to be the solution in other similar situations?

It's all fine and dandy for us to point fingers, but wouldn't a viable solution that everyone can "live" with be a better option than 300 more years of this!

I wish I had that answer!

HH

Hey Joe,

Little unsure of your intention...I was just thinking that part of this situation is rooted in further perpetuation of old colonial habits or attitudes. I could be wrong though.

Am without knowledge and experience as well. Wanted to draw attention to an overlooked Canadian perplexity here in a place that is quite familiar to many on this board.

Cheers...