Fleas - UPDATE

Meely

Hello Gang,

All through the summer, I have always made the attempt to stop at all yard sales as I venture to the cottage. I truly enjoy stopping to see what little treasures might be lurking behind that old lamp or under that pile of old tools.

Now that Winter is almost upon us, its kinda boring not having much to do on weekends. As of late, I have been venturing to flea markets in order to see what I can find. I have visited Dr Fleas on hwy 27 (it was ok), The flea market in the Dixie Mall (it was brutal) and last weekend I headed out to the Stouffville market (it was sorta slow).

I dont mind making the drive as trinket/treasure hunting has become a really fun passtime. I mostly look for old movie memorabilia for a movie room I'm working on.....Posters....Coke/Pepsi signs.....old Milk bottles/cigarette tins etc but am not limited to these items alone. Im not one to spend time in front off the boob-tube and Ya never know what you might find!!

Can anyone suggest any other markets or really cool shops worth visiting?

Thanks,

Meely :canadian:

Edited by Meely

We have a HUGE flea market that runs every weekend but I'm not sure if it open during the winter time....but it's a HUGE parking lot that private vendors come from all over to set up and sell their junk....I find great veggies there every fall....but also other stuff...like a deck umbrella for $10, etc......it's only 1 mile east of the Galleria Mall thruway exit, right on Walden Ave (same as the mall)......if your really interested, I will check it out this weekend to see if their setting up in the winter months...One guy sets up HUNDREDS of tires every weekend to sell....that has to be a LOT of work...

There is also a HUGE indoor flea market building at the end of the parking lot....I usually don't go inside but they also have a lot of junk for sale...but these are permanent vendors set up in there.

So it's about 10 minutes past the Peace Bridge in Cheektowaga, NY.

Google this address.....2480 Walden Avenue, Cheektowaga, NY

Bob

Did you ever stop into the barn at Fowlers Corners Meely ??

They've got alot of excellent hand built furniture....Amish I believe....but they've got a huge amount the type of stuff your looking for. Diane and I wander around there the odd time and it's really interesting.

Maybe have a look when your back up next year.

I dont mind making the drive as trinket/treasure hunting has become a really fun passtime. I mostly look for old movie memorabilia for a movie room I'm working on.....Posters....Coke/Pepsi signs.....

Courtice Flea market just north of the 401

If you go to the barn at the back of the market, they got tons of coke/pepsi signs, bottles, and memorabilia

There is a little place in Minden, right on the river. It is a Thai Food Restaurant (Wild Orchid), but he also has stuff for sale that he must have collected for 60 years. Not sure if he is open in the winter, but worth checking out if you're up that way in the summer. There is also another small place in Oakwood, just west of Lindsay on Highway #7 that might be okay to check out if you're driving by.

Lew,

you mean to tell me that you were right beside the trailer park we are in and never stopped by?

Right next to the barn is baileys bay.

Next summer, give me a shout when your going there.

I will fire up the bar b q and you guys can come over for lunch. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for all the input guys 'n' gals.

I plan on visiting all of the places suggested.

Found some nice shops in Hamilton as well.

Funny how you find things (shops etc) you had never seen before!!.

Edited by Meely

Well,

We ventured out this morning with the plan of hitting a market suggested by fellow OFC'ers.

First we hit the market in Courtice and found a lot of really cool stuff. Exactly what I was looking for and all the vendors were very friendly. I picked up a few small antique glass bottles. I would recommend visiting this place as they have new stuff weekly and is open all year round.

On our way home, we visited the flea market in Pickering. More of your flea market set-up with a few antique/collectible vendors.Amongst the few antique vendors, I found a piece that works perfectly in the movie/mancave room. Its a 1950 Keystone BrightBeam K70 8mm projector. It is in excellent shape and runs like a top. The vendor was nice enough to throw in 3 8mm short movies as well.... One Disney, one Abbott and Costello and one Flintstones..... even included an original small bottle of lubrication oil!

I didnt really pay a lot for it all...... and I really couldnt care what the value is as it works perfectly in my room.

Here is a picture.....

8MM4.jpg

Would anyone know where I would be able to find a take-up reel for this thing?

Thanks

http://www.highlandscinemas.com/second_page.php

Check this guy out Meely. This is the best movie experience you could ever imagine and the stuff he has is amazing. It is the off season and because of this he might have time for you AND the stuff you are interested in. Couldn't hurt to fire Keith off an email.

Congrats on your treasures from todays hunt and have fun :thumbsup_anim: