Bay of Quinte - Perfect Vue Part 2

fishnsled

After a crazy week of work, mom in the hospital (she got home yesterday and is now doing better) and even some fishing, here is my G2G Quinte report. CCMT and I headed out Friday morning and arrived at Perfect Vue uneventfully. Well there was a pair of asshat.gif that raced up beside us and blasting the horn….but what would you expect from Headhunter and Bitsmith2k. tongue.gif Timing couldn't have been better if we planned it for meeting up with them. After unpacking and getting settled in, Cliff and I hit the water.

It was a bit choppy looking from shore but once on the water it wasn't that bad. We trolled for a few hours with not much to show for our efforts but Cliff managed to get one to cooperate with his bait.

P1000054.jpg

IMG-20111118-01064.jpg

P1000056.jpg

A beautiful sunset and we were done day one

P1000058.jpg

The weather was not changing and the winds were forecast to be blowing hard again. We got out before they picked up too much and managed a couple fish for the day

P1000065.jpg

P1000067.jpg

P1000068.jpg

P1000070.jpg

Another great sunset.

P1000089.jpg

P1000088.jpg

We fished hard and put in 12 hours on the water. 7am – 7pm and not a lot to show for it but learned a few new things which made for a good day. Cliff got playing with the drag on the reel and had it backed off so if a perch hit it should pull drag. Worked like a charm on his fish. With waves and winds throwing us around it was tough to figure out what the baits were doing. By having the drag that loose it helped tons. Not only knowing that a fish was on but knowing that you had picked up some weeds and were able to clean things up and get back to fishing knowing you were dragging a clean bait.

The other thing we tried were glow sticks on the boards at night. Now I've seen them in the tackle stores for $4 each, when I saw a pack of 10 for $2 at the Dollar Store I thought it was worth buying if I had the chance to use them. The first stick was a dud but the next 2 worked fine. The red colour was not easily seen at a greater distance out but the green could be seen for miles I think. The red was fine up to 60-80 feet out but started to lose its visibility soon after that. Not that you couldn't see it, but was difficult to spot. They lasted pretty well too. 24 hours later the sticks still had some glow left to them when I got home.

P1000095.jpg

young_one ended up with the big fish of the day and thus received the first Perfect Vue Cup.

IMAG0244.jpg

P1000100.jpg

Gotta love the Dollar Store. smile.gif

A bit of a side note, there were a few asking about auxiliary steer kits for main motor to kicker. I found one at West Marine that worked like a charm. Easy to install, not too expensive and did the trick. The only down fall (and I wouldn't consider it to be one) is that it is only rated up to 5mph and has to be removed when traveling.

P1000073.jpg

Steering link

Sunday the winds were howling again. We cleaned up and packed up said our goodbyes. Linc and YoungOne were venturing back out and in the end Cliff and I did as well. A few hours of trolling and we managed one pike.

IMG-20111120-01082.jpg

Certainly give kudos to Linc and young_one for trying something different as they did very well with the jigging as you've seen in their report.

It was a great weekend away with good company and lots of laughs on the bay. Looking forward to next year's trip already.

Edited by fishnsled

Looks like a blast Will.

Probably a teeny bit too early yet eh?

Back when I fished out there a ton in the fall I always had my best success jigging spoons...clean with no bait....in deep water off the points.

Fun way to fish when things are slow, although moreso for numbers.

We were at the Trenton arena area fishing out of the marina Saturday from 5:00 am to 8:30am using lighted float or casting jig with white grub, got skunked and also broke my rod by accident. Saw lots of boat went out too.

Not familiar with this area and would like some advise by the members. Maybe I am in the wrong spot. Should I fish in the Price Chopper side or the opposite side? But seems those area belong to their own private parking.

Thanks in advance!

Should I fish in the Price Chopper side or the opposite side? But seems those area belong to their own private parking.

Um, not to sure what you are going to catch at the Price Chopper but I bet there is some fish in there.

Will and guys, nice report and with luck we can get out on the ice for a good time again this year.

Way to go fishnsled, looks like you had a great time. Shame we all couldn't have meet up.

It certainly is too bad that we couldn't all meet up. When are you going again and I'll meet with you then...got a spot in the boat? :whistling::D

You guys have fun no matter where you go.

Nice fish fellas!

We try Bernie but we don't have to try too hard though. :)

Looks like a blast Will.

Probably a teeny bit too early yet eh?

Back when I fished out there a ton in the fall I always had my best success jigging spoons...clean with no bait....in deep water off the points.

Fun way to fish when things are slow, although more so for numbers.

It probably is a bit early for them. Kinda of new to doing this Quinte thing but the crazy winds and warm weather most likely are not helping. I was jigging spoons as well, perch liked them but couldn't get an eye to cooperate.

Thanks Will, great pictures and report as always!

Truth be told, my trophy was taken away by a 'round-eye'. But thanks to you, my bragging right should stay with this post, as long as no one reads my reply! :thumbsup_anim:

I know where that round-eye lives, we can get it back. :lol: Since part of the crew left early on Sunday the tournament was cancelled thus leaving you as champion for your fish on Saturday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hey Will....thanks for writing up the report! Was a fantastic weekend for sure...always a great time sharing a boat with you. Glad to hear mom is on the mend as well :thumbsup_anim:

With a bit of luck we'll be on the water one more time before things freeze up!

Thanks Cliff and looking forward to some soft water December fishing!

Thanks for the replies everyone.