EVERYONE NEEDS TO PITCH IN

in just a few weeks the trout opener will be apon us!!! hoards of people out which unfortunately means hoards of trash!!! the floatfishing conservation group has come up wit ha great idea and calls on everyone to pitch in!!!

at 20 or so fishing stores in the gta there handing out free garbage bags(pic below). all were askin is you put your own mess in it and maybe take 5 mins before ya go home to pick up some that others have left behind!!! openers are always awful for trash and it really ruins the site and environment!!!

so im just askin for 5 mins of your time if ya can help out!!!

tx all!!

IMG_3156.jpg

Count bly and I in!! Need details on which shops are handing out the bags...thanks Scott.

Bags will be made available at these locations starting April 21.

ANGLING OUTFITTERS, 577 Dundas St., Woodstock, (519)539-5494

ANGLING SPECIALTIES - 2104 HWY 7, Concord, 905-660-9707

ANGLING SPECIALTIES - 325 Central Pkwy W., Mississauga 905-275-4972

ANGLING SPECIALTIES - 3251 Kennedy Road, Unit 4, Scarborough,

416-609-0804

ANGLING SPORT, 317 Adelaide St. South, London, 519-649-7429

BRONTE OUTDOORS, 2544 Speers Road, Unit 7 and 8, Oakville, 905-827-4009

FISHIN NIAGARA,197 Niagara Blvd, Fort Erie, On, 905-871-3888 www.fishinniagara.com

FISH ONLINE CANADA. - 1705 Jane Street, Toronto, Ontario, (416)-242-4310, http://fishonlineca.com/new/index.php?opti...p&Itemid=26

FISHING WORLD 2411 Barton St. East, Hamilton, 905-573-2288, http://www.fishingworld.ca/

GAGNON SPORTS - 385 Bloor W., Oshawa, 905-725-5798

GILL FINIGANS, 4400 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, On, 905-357-5293, www.gillfinigan.com

HOOK, LINE and SINKER, 380 Eramosa Rd., Guelph, 519-766-4665

JC TACKLE, 22 Sims Lock Rd., Caledonia, 905.765.8336

NATURAL SPORTS - 1572 Victoria St., Kitchener, Ont. Floaters' Tackle Retailer (519)749-1620 http://www.thefishingstore.ca

PETERS BAIT AND TACKLE, Secord Drive, St. Catharines, On 905-934-2512

ROCK AND REEL OUTDOORS...5oo King st w unit # 12, phone #905-576-2626, Oshawa, ON

SIMCOE BAIT & TACKLE, 250 Innisfil St., Barrie, On, 705-737-4818

TALL TALES BAIT & TACKLE, 310 King St. East, Cambridge, :(519)650-3465

TIGHTLINE FISHERMANS - 1050 Broock, Pickering, 905-837-0544

Don’t forget to snap a streamside pic that includes the bag(s) for the photo contest!! Prizes including the Grand prize of a 13ft Frontier float rod with an Islander float reel will be awarded to those photos that capture the essence of the clean-up best.

Thats a great idea CC, and hopefully it'll make a few more folks think about bringing their garbage home with them.

Funny how folks have no problem carrying all their fishin gear with them, but can't seem to be able to carry and empty coffee cup or worm box.

I know I've always got a bunch of plastic bags in the boat with me.

Amazing . . . . . the word must be gettin' around . . . I fished out east in about 6 different spots in the last week, saw very little garbage strewn about . . . . one spot (along a fence) that used to have a garbage bag hanging to collect it all, had 2 coffee cups left. Along came 3 guys, all with large coffees . . . . I automatically bristled . . . . thought . . . "Uh oh?" After about an hour, they take their empties, AND the other 2 that were jammed against the fence, and away they went . . . a great sight to behold indeed. What I STILL see a lot of . ... cigarette butts . . . yeah . . . . small, but garbage, nonetheless, and they're EVERYWHERE! Can smokers be trained?

Don't forget to snap a streamside pic that includes the bag(s) for the photo contest!! Prizes including the Grand prize of a 13ft Frontier float rod with an Islander float reel will be awarded to those photos that capture the essence of the clean-up best.

Prizes?? Where do you send the pics?

What a fantastic idea! I hope this catches on like rapid fire...Also I hope it snow balls and they are available in more places and maybe even at boat launches etc. I know they should not have to be given away, and have special bags but some people need a push. Congrats on a great start...

Great idea!

I won't be out for the opener, but I'm planning to pitch in at our local park next Saturday, April 21, to clean up the garbage that's been left or blown in. We go there regularly with our dog and would like to see it cleaned up, because it's a beautiful park and it should stay that way.

By the way, I saw a sign for the Toronto 20-minute makeover today, for those of you who don't know about it, it's a call to pitch in 20 minutes on Friday, April 20, to help clean up litter around your home, workplace, school, or park, etc. I think it's a great idea too.

Toronto 20-min Makeover

It's not a lot to ask and it can make a big difference to our enjoyment of our environment, urban and otherwise.

Mike

Good idea, if more than a little overdue. There shouldn't be prizes or special days to do this, though. Common sense and respect for the environment you use should be an everyday thing. I know its not... and I don't know which tribs you were at, Photoz, but I was at Oshawa Cr. two days ago and there was Garbage everywhere. Fishing garbage, Timmies cups and cig butts were the main attraction. Made Lews thread look like a pristine park. The fishing related garbage gets me the most. Worm boxes, hook containers, LINE :wallbash: . And then people wonder why landowners are reluctant to give access to their lands? PUH-LEEZE. Alot of the items are from people that know better. Premium litter, I call it. Gamagatsu hook packages, Pinky power worm containers, you know, the good stuff. If the guys who are buying this stuff can't get it right, they're not going to set a good example to others.

Sorry for the pessimism, I've seen this issue long enough to know its not going to stop. Even if it does get cleaned for a day.

Something else just occurred to me, for those of you going out. If you happen to get an inclination to go INTO the stream, creek, river to removew trash, be careful not to damage or disturb the redds or the fish using them. You may have the best intentions, but you'll do more damage then good. I know, it's common sense. But so is picking up after yourself.

Thats what I`ve been doing for the past 2-3 years, just collecting coffee cups and worm boxes and putting them in my fishing backpac untill i find a garbage can.

I dont know why its so hard for some people to clean up after themselves

Hey DMASSE,

Thanks for your offer to help. I called the store and let them I would be by on Saturday probably before noon to drop off the bags. I will ask for you when I get there hopefully you will be in.

Thanks again,

Remo

Yup... Conservation and this clean-up stuff gives us fishermen a good image and on top of that a nice clean river or creek to fish on... I know I will do my part as I always have tried to do, whether or not I pick up some of these cool littlbe bags

Well if where you fish if there aren't any public trash cans about, I guess you have to make the call whether or not it will fit into your two bag limit at home. Sorry, I know its not a not a very good answer, its all I got though.

Remo