Roe

_Ra_

Hello,

First of a brief introduction: I recently got into fishing with a few buddies, this is my first season. I've been targeting panfish and Bass so far. I don't know any veteran fishermen so I've been using these forums to learn for the most part before going out and trying stuff out. I've learned a little bit - enough to hook into a few fish and get myself hooked to the sport.

I've been reading up on steelhead recently and I thought I'd give it a try. My plan is to use worm and roe for bait. Can anyone guide me to a baitshop that would sell these in Mississauga? Specifically I'd like to get pretied roe bags as I have no previous experience.

http://centerpinangling.com/spawn-products.html I found I can order them online but the shipping seems quite steep. Also I'd like to go out this Friday and I don't think I'd get them in time.

Any help is appreciated!

Most local baitshops will sell pre-tied roe, but it's pretty pricey stuff as far as my experience goes.

Rolling your own isn't very difficult either, just ask one of your steel-head buddies for a quick run down on how to cure and tie it.

Guest chase4chrome

Good to see someone taking up the angling art--welcome. Kaveat (and this is, and always will be, my concern): when you source your eggs please ask how and where they were obtained. I think we have an obligation here to help new anglers develop an ethical practice with particular focus on ecological sustainability. Any use of eggs I take to be questionable (just my bias).

I think Kemper can source "ethical" spawn angel.png (if I'm not stepping on any toes here).

Best

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bronte Outdoor (2560 Shepard Ave) or Angling Specialties (325 Central Pky W - behind Dairy Queen) both sell roe bags and they'll both probably give you some advice too :)

I'll try Angling Specialties for bait. As to the source, I assumed all bait shops get their roe from fish farms.

I'll report back if I have any luck with catching anything... don't hold your breath though!

Good to see someone taking up the angling art--welcome. Kaveat (and this is, and always will be, my concern): when you source your eggs please ask how and where they were obtained. I think we have an obligation here to help new anglers develop an ethical practice with particular focus on ecological sustainability. Any use of eggs I take to be questionable (just my bias).

I think Kemper can source "ethical" spawn angel.png (if I'm not stepping on any toes here).

Best

Good point. How would someone with no experience know what impact "how and where they were obtained" would have on his purchase of store bought roe?

What criteria would you offer to someone new, such as the OP, to help determine what ARE ethical practices with particular focus on ecological sutainability?

Good point. How would someone with no experience know what impact "how and where they were obtained" would have on his purchase of store bought roe?

What criteria would you offer to someone new, such as the OP, to help determine what ARE ethical practices with particular focus on ecological sutainability?

Get all your roe from dirty stockers south of the border.

/Ethical committee.

BillM gave me the same advice....NO CURE NEEDED!! Trust me it works! Thanks Bill!

I know guys that cure roe and they catch as many fish as the guys using uncured stuff. I think the most important thing is to store it properly... Cured or uncured...

• 2 weeks later...