calling all PINHEADS

Guest chase4chrome

Guest chase4chrome

post-8820-132198955592_thumb.gif

I put my centerpin outfit away in 1985 to tackle other pursuits and deliver on other obligations. Now that I am seeing a spate of pinheads (no insult here) on the river (and here) I am curious how the sport has changed. So I want to throw this out to the more seasoned pinners among you (or anyone for that matter) and get a sense of what you deem to be the best rod/reel combo. What to your mind is the best rod Loomis Glx for example or Raven, Rainshadow etc. etc. How about the mechanics????? What is the reel of choice and why (Spahr, Islander, Kingpin, JW Young among others). As I say, I'm curious--edify me, I need to see what the community makes of this.

Looking forward--cheers!!!

You're going to get a million different opinions on this one...

Generally it seems like the CTS has taken over from the IMX on the rod podium - I've fished them both and although they are both great sticks I honestly wouldn't trade my Rainshadow XST for either of them. Personal preference thing, more $ doesn't always mean better?

The independent reel builders are killing it lately - lots of opinions on those as well. On the river it seems like Kingpin has taken over - again not something I would pay for (but I'm cheap). I run a 3 year old Raven SST 3 - its stupid light especially paired with the XST and lets be honest here folks, a centerpin is a pretty simple piece of equipment. My only complaint is when its raining and the rim is wet I get my knuckles busted, so I'm looking to switch it up.

Picking up my first 'pin tomorrow night (Raven SST3) - I'll let you know!

I'm going to give it a go with one of my UK float rods and see how it works out.

I think all these sort of things are feel and the water you fish, a 15ft rod with tons of backbone would be a pain on a creek you can jump across etc.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

CTS seems to be the choice of a lot of great lakes steelheaders although personally I think they are over-priced. Not that they aren't fantastic but are they really HUNDREDS of dollars better than a batson? I recently built on an mhx and i'm happy.

as far as reels, there are a lot of top notch manufacturers and independent craftsman all making top notch stuff... i make my decision based on price again because i'm not convinced a $1200 combo is that much better than a $500.

Zippy is an elitist :(

zipcommissbwa.gif

But he is also partial to Kingpins

kingpin.jpg

In my case, looking at all the different rivers I fish (and would like to fish in the future), there isn't just 1 rod + reel combo that I'd like for everything...That in itself gives me an excuse to buy more tackle :D

Guest chase4chrome

my cat is named "Zippy the Pinhead Cat"...although most often just gets Zip or Zipzap for short. Cat went nuts first time it heard "Pinhead" by the Ramones, hence the name

I hate cats--but I will have to make an exception for Zip-the-cool-cat if he digs the Ramones!

Guest chase4chrome

A good start gents I am intrigued by the responses thus far. What about rod speed (curious), as I am using (and preferring) the fast Sage Z-Axis and Sage XP (the latter as the result of Loomis GLX becoming brittle in January weather and shattering).

BTW "personal preference" is the outcome of a heuristic process, that is, trial and error. Which is to say that one must have gained some knowledge regarding the use, abuse, or abandonment of your equipment n'est pas?

I like slow rods (Loomis IM6, IMX, Sage GSII, etc) they suit my style (I like to rip the fishes face off with the hookset)

But again I've fished a few XST's and CTS's and enjoy them as well. Although I think I enjoyed the lightness more then the snappy fast action.

Guest chase4chrome

I like slow rods (Loomis IM6, IMX, Sage GSII, etc) they suit my style (I like to rip the fishes face off with the hookset)

But again I've fished a few XST's and CTS's and enjoy them as well. Although I think I enjoyed the lightness more then the snappy fast action.

Very helpful

thanks

CTS seems to be the choice of a lot of great lakes steelheaders although personally I think they are over-priced. Not that they aren't fantastic but are they really HUNDREDS of dollars better than a batson? I recently built on an mhx and i'm happy.

Both Rainshadow XST and CTS are only available in blank form.

There's not that much difference in price.

To answer the op's question probably the CTS Affinity blanks are the current gold standard for rods, BUT they have been prone to breakage and they come from New Zealand so warranty may not be cut and dried.

MHX blanks have been mentioned. I agree 150%, for the price they are fine, fine sticks.

Gary Loomis started a new company called North Fork Composites and his new line of steelhead blanks may be the current creme de la creme.

They're certainly the priciest.

Havn't tried one yet but I'm dying to as the reviews have been spectacular.

As far as reels go there's never before been so much choice.

If I'm going to choose the "best" it's not going to be a mass produced reel.

The top 4 that are currently being made and readily available are imo:

1.The DeMarco made by Adam DeMarco in Ohio

2.The Frogwater made here in Ontario by Robb Marquette.

3. Ron Gardiners exquisite although pricey works of art...also made here in ON.

4. The Angling Specialties reels.

You may not be fond of a centre pin reel with a drag, but no one can deny the craftsmanship.

Maybe the best of the bunch are the reels made by Al Taylor of Mississauga. Unfortunately it's next to impossible to aquire one as Al hasn't been building many lately.

Just for fun, if you're talking mass produced reels the Kingpin Imperial is pretty hard to beat.

Cheers

A good start gents I am intrigued by the responses thus far. What about rod speed (curious), as I am using (and preferring) the fast Sage Z-Axis and Sage XP (the latter as the result of Loomis GLX becoming brittle in January weather and shattering).

BTW "personal preference" is the outcome of a heuristic process, that is, trial and error. Which is to say that one must have gained some knowledge regarding the use, abuse, or abandonment of your equipment n'est pas?

My choice in rods is constantly evolving.

I started out in the late 70's using a Lamiglass S-glass noodle rod and 2lb test.

The trend the last few years has been blanks with much, much faster actions.

Something I've adapted to and have come to love.

I'm currently in a stage where I'm shying away from the traditional long sticks.

I wouldn't fish a 15' plus rod these days if you paid me.

I get zero advantages with the extra length other than a sore arm at the end of the day.

13' has always been the most common length, and yeah I'll still fish a 13 at times.

Currently my 2 main go-to sticks are much shorter.

The first is a 12' CTS Affinity rated 4-8, the second is an 11' CTS Affinity rated 6-10.

Both are extremely light and extremely fast and a true pleasure to fish with.

I started out in the late 70's using a Lamiglass S-glass noodle rod and 2lb test.

That was my very first river rod.Custom built by a guy that lived in Snelgrove ont. I would still have it,if my oldest boy didnt leave it on a bank somewhere. :wallbash:

Edited by Misfish

I put my centerpin outfit away in 1985

Looking forward--cheers!!!

Do you still have it?? and what was it?? If it was some stamped metal Grice and Young forget it, but something like the older clickerless, non anodized, metal footed Stantons or an early Smith Stream Master bring it out and clean or replace the bearings, still running both of those from that era.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Both Rainshadow XST and CTS are only available in blank form.

There's not that much difference in price.

isn't it more than double the price?

p.s. i'm not asking for argument sake, but because the amount i was quoted on a cts was MUCH more than an xst.

is it best to purchase cts through john collina himself, or are there cheaper avenues?

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

isn't it more than double the price?

p.s. i'm not asking for argument sake, but because the amount i was quoted on a cts was MUCH more than an xst.

is it best to purchase cts through john collina himself, or are there cheaper avenues?

The prices I have on them show about a $100.00 difference, give or take depending on which model.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

13' 6-10 is what i was looking at in each. when i was quoted on each with shipping it was over 300 for the cts, and 160 for the batson. do you get wholesale?