Ice Time!!!!

DRIFTER_016

Finally got out for a little ice time. biggrin.gif

Should have been out last week or even earlier but was dealing with an infection that needed fixing so the ice had to wait a couple of weeks. Got out to my preferred early season troot lake around 11 AM and found around 10" of clear black ice with about an inch of snow on it. good.gif

Ryan4.jpg

We need another good snowfall to make the snowmobling good but the trails were fair today.

Ryan1.jpg

Ryan6.jpg

The fishing was decent but the landing sucked!! LOL

I had several nice trout hammer my airplane jig scream off a bunch of line only to spit the hook.

Dang you NWT and your barbless rule!! cursing.gif

I had bites on tube jigs as well as said airplane jig but the tube bites were super light and I only managed to stick one or two fish on the tube (they both got away unfortunately). I think the change in weather put the fish down today. It has been overcast with a little snow the last few days and today it was pretty much cloudless. dunno.gif

Temp when I hit the lake was -24C with a light North breeze making it feel like -30C or so.

Ryan3.jpg

Ryan5.jpg

Notice the Sunflower heater mod for cooking and boiling water for a cup of tea or soup.

Ryan7.jpg

Ryan8.jpg

Ryan9.jpg

All in all not a bad day. Hooked a bunch of fish (none landed), got out on the sled and got some excersize.

Now to wait until next week. wink2.gif

What Bill said. B)

Good to see you live for both seasons Dave. As I understand it, many in Yellowknife just buckle down to work hard through the long winters so to enjoy the short summers. My buddy Dan up there working with First Air tells me he doesn't get out much for the ice fishing. Probably having a Frabill like yours would make it easier.

This gets me hungry for a little ice time soon. Pulled much of the gear out this afternoon actually.

What Bill said. B)

Good to see you live for both seasons Dave. As I understand it, many in Yellowknife just buckle down to work hard through the long winters so to enjoy the short summers. My buddy Dan up there working with First Air tells me he doesn't get out much for the ice fishing. Probably having a Frabill like yours would make it easier.

This gets me hungry for a little ice time soon. Pulled much of the gear out this afternoon actually.

Yeah, seems a lot of people do hibernate for the winter up here.

Personally I don't get it. :dunno:

In the winter I get to fish all of those lakes that you can only get to by plane the rest of the year. B)

I will go out in temps down to -30 (without windchill) but any colder and I'll usually stay indoors and fix gear, work on rods, lures, floats etc.