Electric Start Problem - 2003 Kodiak 450......nf

ckrb2007

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my ATV problem. I moved my atv to the backyard last weekend to make some room in my garage.......it starting like a champ like it always, has so I drove it around back. It was parked for 5mins and I went back to try to start it up again and nothing. No clicking, no noise. All gauges still light up and it still starts first pull on the manual start but when I press the elec. start button nothing happens. I checked the battery and and the fuses they're all perfect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Colin

Can you hear the motor turn? Sometimes the solenoid sticks and doesn't engage the flywheel. A friends quad did the same thing..The spring that pushes the starter out snapped and was just spinning without engaging the flywheel..It was a cheap and easy fix..

No noise at all. To me, it seems like no power is getting to the motor. I'm thinking it could be a grounding issue?!?! I'm not sure where the switch or whatever would be grounded. Very frustrating. lol

May be the neutral switch, we have one at work that does that, rattle the shifter a bit while holding the start button.

May be the neutral switch, we have one at work that does that, rattle the shifter a bit while holding the start button.

I've tried to start it both in neutral and in park and still nothing. I'll give it another go though. I'm willing to try anything...again and again! LOL

Edited by ckrb2007

I do have a multi meter.....maybe not the best at using one but I can tell if the battery is good. lol

OK, Well it could be your starter switch or it could be your solinoid. So, hook the ground lead from your multi meter to the ground on your battery. Then find your solinoid. There will be two large posts on it, one from the battery, the other goes to the starter. There will also be either one or two small posts on it. If it is one small post that will be your + from the starter switch. If there are two small posts then one will be ground, the other will be +. You need to connect the positive lead from your multi meter to the small + post on your solinoid then try to start your bike. If the multi meter shows 12 v+/1 a bit then you know your starter switch is working and your solinoid is fried. If it doesn't show 12 V +/- then there is no power coming from the starter switch. Could be a blown fuse, could be a safety interlock, could be a faulty starter switch and now you are into trouble shooting that circuit.

Hope this is some help!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

did you fully charge your battery before you load tested it? when you ran the atv while testing did the battery drain?

my brain doesn't want to move on from a battery issue.

did you fully charge your battery before you load tested it? when you ran the atv while testing did the battery drain?

my brain doesn't want to move on from a battery issue.

My battery has been A-1 since I bought it new last year. I mean, when the elec. start was working, I would barely press the start button and it would fire right up instantly. Tested it with the mulit-meter and it read just over 12 volts when everything was off.

my grizzly did the same last weekend..no starting noise or anything, recharged the battery still wouldent work. jumped the solenoid and it worked

Jumping the solenoid is fine and it tells you that there is a problem in that circuit but the problem could be in the circuit that provides the power to activate the solenoid. If the solenoid isn't getting 12V to activate it then it can't work. I have seen several solenoids replaced when they weren't the problem LOL.

Dose it have a kill switch ? on by mistake ?

It could be as simple as that, I have a Polaris 450 Sportsman and on the left handle there is a three position switch Off/run/Off unless that switch is in the run position everything works but the starter circuit. It has happened a few times that someone or somehow that switch got moved to the off position. You jump on the bike to start it and nada.

Edited by Big Cliff

It could be as simple as that, I have a Polaris 450 Sportsman and on the left handle there is a three position switch Off/run/Off unless that switch is in the run position everything works but the starter circuit. It has happened a few times that someone or somehow that switch got moved to the off position. You jump on the bike to start it and nada.

That's what I thought right off the bat.........maybe my kid flipped the kill switch over to the "off" position but no such luck.

I have 02 Kodiak and it is notorious for the push button start switch failing and displaying the exact same problem that you have. If, when you start to fault find as has been previously described, you have no 12v at the solenoid post when the button is pushed, I would imagine that the starter button has failed due to dirty contacts. They are small, but fairly easy to get apart and give a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner. I think a google search provided me with some fairly descriptive directions the first time I did mine. Once cleaned and re-assembled, mine is good for another couple yrs.

the key to preventing electrical problems (and stalling in deep water/heavy steam) on an atv is dielectric grease. it takes a while to go through almost every connection and contact point on the machine, but it's nice knowing corrosion and loose contacts won't cause problems. i like to use a small piece of masking tape on each wire to keep track of which connections have been greased.

take apart your push start and get it cleaned up. then trace those wires both ways and make sure each of those connections is cleaned, greased, and secured.

i often ride in water that's 5-10ft deep and have zero issues with electrical. gotta make sure you're electrical system is waterproof when riding like this as a stall at the wrong time results in a wet rider and hydro locked motor. :wallbash: saturday was the 5th time this year i had the pleasure of helping with a swamped atv. at least it was only a polaris and not my grizzly this time :whistling::D